Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi all. I figured I would take the time to write an in-depth review about my experience (so far) with XenonSupply and two of their HID products since I did not see a lot of existing reviews or info on this company. I did a good bit of research before making my purchase but settled on XenonSupply because it appeared they had a quality product at a lower price than some of the other similar higher-tier HID retailers. Time will tell if their bulbs / ballasts last but this has been my experience so far.

I often see XS’s install video referenced when searching for an installation guide for the rav4 so I’ll link it here:

The video is a decent guide on how to use the factory wiring for their HID kit. However, they actually recommend using their available relay kit to run the HIDs directly from the battery – which is what I will do as well. I don’t want to risk damaging the factory wiring since my vehicle only has 22k miles.

Now on to the review.

Here are the two kits I ordered:

Rav4 Xenon 9005 Package ($170) & Relay Wiring Harness ($15) – 4300k: Toyota Rav4 HID Xenon Headlight Kit - Toyota 4Runner HID Lights
(This kit included their “premium” ballasts with a 5-year warranty)

Rav4 Xenon H16 Package ($90) + Premium Ballast Upgrade ($50) + Slim Ballast Upgrade ($20) + Relay Wiring Harness ($15) – 3000k (yellow): Toyota RAV4 HID Xenon Fog Light Kit (I upgraded to the slim ballasts since I was not sure of my mounting options near the fog lamps)

Total came to $360 but I used their promo code in their install video for 15% off so I paid $306. This was a bit pricey but considering that the existing halogens I had installed ran me about $175 (silverstar zXe for highs and lows plus PIAA H16 yellow ion for fogs) this cost seemed on par for upgrading to HID output.

My package arrived in a single shipping box with the HID kits in separate boxes and the relay harness loose but bundled together. Not terrible but could be better. (Only the H16 kit is pictured below). Also loose in the box was an ample supply of 6” heavy black zip ties and 3M mounting tape for the ballasts.

Additional labeling was nice.

The kits themselves were split with two interior boxes – one for bulbs and one for ballasts. The bulbs did not have any other packing foam other than the individual covers with foam inside (for each bulb). I would have thought they would be packed with something to keep them from moving inside but they did not appear to be damaged and were still secure when I opened them. (This traveled cross country from LA to east coast).

These "slim" ballasts while smaller than the regular size, have these extra components inline with both wires. Sort of annoying but we'll make it work. Also, oddly the ballasts say "3 years" even though these are supposed to be the slim / premium versions. I will have to check with the company on that.

I like that there are actually screw tabs to mount these. The larger regular size ballasts did not have screw tabs.

I have already installed the low-beam headlight kit and since they show plenty of details in their install video, I didn’t think it necessary to duplicate that with more pictures of the headlight installation. The premium ballasts I received are the same ones shown in the video above. The only difference in my case was that the relay install required a slightly different configuration then what the video shows.

You should have a basic understanding of how a relay works and why it’s recommended before going this route but I will try to remember to supply some pictures of the connections I made when I go to install the fog lamps.

*Note - The only two annoyances I found with the kit were 1) the relay plug that connects to factory wiring was of low quality and the pins were loose which made it difficult to get in position and fully seated with factory plug. 2) The small plastic nub on said plug was too large to engage with the factory plug retention clip. I had to trim it with a utility knife.

Here are my immediate thoughts on the low-beams and some images:

Performance:

• The bulbs appear to fire up quickly with maybe one or two flickers when they first start.
  • The bulbs take approximately 15 seconds to become bright enough to qualify as headlights and maybe 30 to reach full output.
Color:

• The bulbs start off with that very blue 6000k tint but quickly turn to bright white (4300k).
  • They are a clear bright white where my halogens were noticeably more yellow. (Did not snap any comparison pictures last night but may do that later)
  • This image was taken with auto white balance and is almost identical to what it looks like in real life.

Patterning:

• They seem to work well with the stock projectors and definitely throw a LOT more light out in front and further down the road
  • “Squirrel spotters” are only slightly more noticeable than my halogens (see concerns section below).

Overall I am very happy with the current performance and color of the bulbs. I hate that annoying / excessive blue tint and these 4300k bulbs exactly what I wanted – pure bright white. I took a test drive last night and did not get anyone flashing me but I felt as though the beams were a little high – or it could just be I am not use to the extra light output.

My concerns:

Squirrel Spotters – they are slightly brighter than the halogens but not by much. I will need to do some testing to figure out how much extra light they put out as I do not want to blind oncoming cars or people in front of me. I do know based on my research that you can cover up the slots that produce this small block of light however, due to the Rav4’s right-angle projector design, I’m not sure that I would be able to do that, nor do I want to disassemble my headlight housing only to find that I cannot. I am however going to look into adjusting the aim of the lights since I feel they are a bit high to begin with. Lowering them slightly should suffice until I can decide if I am going to disassemble the housing.

Longevity and cold-weather performance – I am not sure if cold temperatures will cause the bulbs to take longer to warm up but that will have to wait until this coming winter. Additionally I am hoping the whole setup lasts, but again that will take time to determine.

**Update** - I was able to lower my Rav's lowbeams to a more comfortable level. I estimated a few inches at around 15 feet from my porch (didn't have a flat wall to be sure) but I took another test drive and they are much better as far as height goes. I don't see them shining into anyone's rearview mirror and they don't appear to be hitting other drivers in the windshield area. Good deal.

**HID Installed in Rav4 Fog Lamps (OEM Reflectors): NOT RECOMMENDED**.

So I can safely say I do not recommend installing HIDs in the OEM fog lamps. Even though they are pointed practically at the ground in front of the vehicle (even after I lowered them as far as they would go), the reflector housings still aren't going to work with the high output of the HID bulbs. There are two very obvious chunks of light that go straight up and out to the side. Not safe / very annoying for oncoming traffic.

I suspected this may be the case but at least now I know. Going to return the fog HIDs and maybe go back to high-performance halogens or maybe find some yellow LED bulbs that are less bright than these 3000k HIDs.

Fogs off:

Fogs on:

Thanks for reading and hope this helps anyone looking to do the same to their Rav4!

·
Registered
1,708 Posts
My quick reply:

I bought a set of 9005 XenonDepot HID's in 2013. During this past winter one bulb started to flicker whenever I drove over a bump in the road.
I found the problem to be in one of the wires leading from the ballast to the bulb. There was an internal fault in the wire that caused the flickering, not in the ballast itself.
From what I've read, be prepared for failures of either the ballasts, igniters, or wiring long before the bulbs burn out.
Needless to say I was very disappointed. I pulled out the HID kit and went back to 9005 Osram high intensity halogen bulbs.

To answer one of your questions, the HID bulbs ignited properly and quickly even in far below zero temperatures.

I'm done with HID conversions.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I bought a set of 9005 XenonDepot HID's in 2013. During this past winter one bulb started to flicker whenever I drove over a bump in the road.
I found the problem to be in one of the wires leading from the ballast to the bulb. There was an internal fault in the wire that caused the flickering, not in the ballast itself.
From what I've read, be prepared for failures of either the ballasts, igniters, or wiring long before the bulbs burn out.
Needless to say I was very disappointed. I pulled out the HID kit and went back to 9005 Osram high intensity halogen bulbs.
Not sure if you got their Volt or Xtreme kit but I personally had their Xtreme HID kit in my 2015 Camry for over a year and never had any issues. I was introduced to their kits after reading this review. I went thru a few other HID kits I got off Amazon & eBay for 1/4 of the cost and quickly learned that you get what you pay for. Ballast would often refuse for fire in stormy/cold weather & bulbs would not match in color.

I went w/ their 5000K Xtreme kit for my Rav4 and they have been working great thus far (Knock on wood).

Thanks for the info. Will have to keep that in mind.
@cpz32 please can you post some pics if/when you adjust your headlights as I too think my low beam projection might be too high but no one has flashed me thus far. I went w/ LEDs for my fog lights. I posted pics on my thread.

Also, glad to hear you will be adjusting the fog lights because HID kits cause extreme glare in fog light housing and I can't stand when raised trucks driving behind or in on-coming traffic seem to not understand this conundrum.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
@cpz32 please can you post some pics if/when you adjust your headlights as I too think my low beam projection might be too high but no one has flashed me thus far. I went w/ LEDs for my fog lights. I posted pics on my thread.

Also, glad to hear you will be adjusting the fog lights because HID kits cause extreme glare in fog light housing and I can't stand when raised trucks driving behind or in on-coming traffic seem to not understand this conundrum.
Sure thing. Not sure when I will be able to do it in the short term. It's been raining for what seems like weeks on end and looks like more of the same at least through next week.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
**Update** - I was able to lower my Rav's lowbeams to a more comfortable level. I estimated a few inches at around 15 feet from my porch (didn't have a flat wall to be sure) but I took another test drive and they are much better as far as height goes. I don't see them shining into anyone's rearview mirror and they don't appear to be hitting other drivers in the windshield area. Good deal.

So I can safely say I do not recommend installing HIDs in the OEM fog lamps. Even though they are pointed practically at the ground in front of the vehicle (even after I lowered them as far as they would go), the reflector housings still aren't going to work with the high output of the HID bulbs. There are two very obvious chunks of light that go straight up and out to the side. Not safe / very annoying for oncoming traffic. I don't want to be "that guy" with blinding lights nor do I want to get a ticket.

I suspected this may be the case but at least now I know. Going to return the fog HIDs and maybe go back to high-performance halogens or maybe find some yellow LED bulbs that are less bright than these 3000k HIDs.

Fogs off:

Fogs on:

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

@OmoPastor

What LED bulbs did you use for your fog lamps and how is the light patterning vs halogen? Checked your thread but didn't see any pictures of the fog patterns with the LEDs.

Still can't make up my mind on the LEDs and because I'm partial to yellow fog lamps, I went ahead and ordered a set of PIAA H8 fog lamps on amazon. If my calculations are correct (based on this post http://www.rav4world.com/forums/125-4-4-exterior/107273-fog-light-bulb-type-5.html#post1624305) the stock 7.5 amp fuse for the fog lamps should be fine using the slightly higher wattage H8 bulbs (35w vs 19w). I should still be under 6 amps.

I have the PIAA H16 bulbs but they're only 19 watt and are just not that bright.

·
Registered
43 Posts
@OmoPastor

What LED bulbs did you use for your fog lamps and how is the light patterning vs halogen? Checked your thread but didn't see any pictures of the fog patterns with the LEDs.

Still can't make up my mind on the LEDs and because I'm partial to yellow fog lamps, I went ahead and ordered a set of PIAA H8 fog lamps on amazon. If my calculations are correct (based on this post http://www.rav4world.com/forums/125-4-4-exterior/107273-fog-light-bulb-type-5.html#post1624305) the stock 7.5 amp fuse for the fog lamps should be fine using the slightly higher wattage H8 bulbs (35w vs 19w). I should still be under 6 amps.

I have the PIAA H16 bulbs but they're only 19 watt and are just not that bright.
To be honest, I haven't checked what the light pattern does look like but I did take pictures of the OEM halogen fog light pattern in comparison to my HIDs. Maybe in a later time when my plate isn't as full I can take a pic of the LEDs.

They are definitely slightly brighter than stock & match my 5000K HID well (although not as practical as yellow fogs but my low beams are more than bright for my purposes). Like you, I went w/ a slightly higher wattage bulb even though the owner's manual list the stock H16 bulbs to be 19W?

I went with the Boltlink H11 LED 30W bulbs. I personally don't fancy the heat & shorter life span of halogens; thus I try to go LED when possible.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
To be honest, I haven't checked what the light pattern does look like but I did take pictures of the OEM halogen fog light pattern in comparison to my HIDs. Maybe in a later time when my plate isn't as full I can take a pic of the LEDs.

They are definitely slightly brighter than stock & match my 5000K HID well (although not as practical as yellow fogs but my low beams are more than bright for my purposes). Like you, I went w/ a slightly higher wattage bulb even though the owner's manual list the stock H16 bulbs to be 19W?

I went with the Boltlink H11 LED 30W bulbs. I personally don't fancy the heat & shorter life span of halogens; thus I try to go LED when possible.
Thanks for the info. I installed the H8 PIAA bulbs today and no blown fuses yet so that's good. I did have to modify the bulb sockets though as one of the tabs was about 2mm too large to fit into the housing. Fixed that with a dremel and cutoff wheel. Obviously they don't want other bulb types in the housing but I don't forsee an extra 16w causing damage to the housing (hopefully). I can always replace them if that does occur.

Going to take a drive this evening to see how they compare to the 19w H16s I had in there. I guess if these give me issues down the road I will look at LEDs again. My issue with LEDs for fog lamps is the white light doesn't seem to work as well for fog / rain. At least to my eyes.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Do certain brand of bulbs/ballast make a difference? I installed a pair of HIDS a friend gave me and the light dispersement isn't as clean/unified as yours. The light in yours seem more like that of halogen and its even like its suppose to be versus mine is a hybrid of what it looks like in a non projector headlight or something. I'll try to grab so pictures, but thoughts?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Do certain brand of bulbs/ballast make a difference? I installed a pair of HIDS a friend gave me and the light dispersement isn't as clean/unified as yours. The light in yours seem more like that of halogen and its even like its suppose to be versus mine is a hybrid of what it looks like in a non projector headlight or something. I'll try to grab so pictures, but thoughts?
From my previous research on the topic, I've read that the light pattern you see is related to the size and shape of the bulb. Intensity is related how powerful the bulb is so obviously HID > halogen in terms of brightness.

As far as pattern goes, HID bulbs tend to be longer and thinner than halogen and will undoubtedly give you a different pattern than halogens.

First thing you should check is to make sure the bulbs are actually fully seated and flush in the socket. Twice I have installed bulbs (once with a halogen and once with the HID bulb) and not realized they were not seated properly until I noticed the pattern being weird. Check that out on your vehicle and see.

Other than that, the bulbs you got could just be shaped or sized in a way that doesn't work well with the projectors on the Rav4. Going from halogen to HID, I had to lower my beams because the pattern just projected higher for some reason. It could be that your bulbs are different and just throw off an unusual pattern.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
As an update to the fog light swap (19w to 35w), I used the H8 fog lamps on quite a few drives in some rain we had a week or so ago. No problems with fuses, no dash lights and no visible damage to the fog housings or bulbs. Looks to work well!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Latest update regarding XenonSupply and their customer service - I rate them a 2 out of 5 for service. I returned the fog lamp kit via USPS certified mail. There apparently was no one at the office to sign for a certified package so it took them an extra two or three days to actually get my return. Once they received it on the 26th of May, it took them TWO WEEKS to finally issue me a refund and that was only AFTER I opened a dispute with PayPal.

I have a lengthy email chain with their customer service where I ask for updates on my refund and only get "guesses" or "well it should be refunded soon" type of responses. Plus I never got any official email notification that they received my return, nor did I get any updates from them directly. I had to go out of my way to email them and keep on them to follow up on my return.

Thankfully I used PayPal credit and hadn't actually paid them my own money so I was able to open a case with PayPal. Wouldn't you know it, within the same day I got issued a refund from the company. Guess they don't want open claims on their seller account with PayPal. My two cents as far as this company is concerned, product seems great (so far) but service is really lacking. Hope I don't have any warranty claims in the near future.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts