Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
450 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just took delivery late afternoon and have a few questions.
I am only on the page 99 in the manual. Bl...dy hard to comprehend as it refers to other pages and other pages on one topic.

1, How do you lock the car? (I'm familiar with Toyota's "smart key" My '09 Corolla have it) This car don't have a lock button on the door handle. Have to fumble to find and press lock on the fob. Sortof defeats the purpose of having the fob nearby and don't have to physically use it. Is there another way?

2, Auto light switches off on delay. Is there a setting to turn it to immediate off?

3, Notice a loud whining sound when slowing down and braking. Suppose it's the regeneration noise. Quite loud though.

4, There is a attachment on the windshield, right side of the rear view mirror. What is it?

Car handles beautiful. Ample power (for me). Good ride. Good positive steering, Good immediate throttle response. Driver's seat's lumbar support works well. Just getting to familiarize with it.

·
Registered
423 Posts
To lock mine, I just touch the slots on the top of the door handle with the fob in my pocket and the door locks. To unlock, I just grab the door handle and it unlocks. As far as the whining noise, yes it is the same with my Hybrid Limited. I have no attachment to the right of the rear view mirror on the windshield. And if you are referring to the interior light, the center position is the delay mode and you can shut it off manually by pushing it to the left. But personally, I see no need for this in my situations.

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
Yeah it took me a bit to figure out the locks too. I thought you touch the slotted portion at the back of the door handle to both lock and unlock, but that is only for locking the car. Just reaching into the door handle unlocks. No button to press or awkward positioning required.

I kinda like the regenerative brake sound. But yes, that is what you are hearing.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I believe that the device on the right side of the mirror is for theft prevention. The car comes with a basic anti theft alarm - if someone smashes a window there will be an alarm. I'm pretty sure it's for that.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Congrats on the purchase!

The headlights are adjustable in the settings on your radio. You can set it to 0 so they turn off when you turn off the car.

The whining noise is emitted when driving in low speeds in EV. It is the pedestrian alert.

·
Registered
59 Posts
That devise is either a camera or radar, I think camera for the whirly bird view of the car. And the large area in the back of the rear view mirror is to sense water on the windshield for auto windshield wipers.

If you had auto wipers before on other cars, often they needed to be activated after the car was turned on, these don't and stay on which sounds like a good thing until you go through one of those car washes with those long thingies that hang down and wash your car. Better know how to turn the auto wipers off quickly.

Where did you get your new R4H, got mine at the new Toyota dealership in Burnaby. In fact I bought it the same day their opening gala event was held that night. When I went in to purchase my new SUV there were no vehicles on the display room floor. I joked with a gal sitting at a desk the dealership might sell more cars if the purchasers could actually see them, that's when I discovered the opening day ceremony hadn't happened yet. I was going to purchase my R4H from the North Shore Toyota dealership but they didn't have the blue colour I wanted so a search on the net brought up the Burnaby dealer.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello All, Congrats your purchase, I also just bought a 2016 XLE Hybrid last week.
Does anyone know how to shut off the seatbelt chime? Its a great ride, MPG is amazing, however I do a lot of short driving, in and out of the vehicle a lot, and the chime is driving me nuts!!! I found links for the 2015 but none for the 2016.
Thanks!

·
Premium Member
8,120 Posts
Hello All, Congrats your purchase, I also just bought a 2016 XLE Hybrid last week.
Does anyone know how to shut off the seatbelt chime? Its a great ride, MPG is amazing, however I do a lot of short driving, in and out of the vehicle a lot, and the chime is driving me nuts!!! I found links for the 2015 but none for the 2016.
Thanks!

It can only be disabled with Techstream, usually by the dealer if you ask, can be done with aftermarket Techstream and a laptop as well, see Customization in the manual. Download the .pdf version of the manual, it's much easier to search and find info, I downloaded it before I even bought my 2015 Ltd and the 2016 Hybrid.

Toyota Online Owners Manuals and Warranty

·
Registered
450 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Win262,
Thanks. That makes sense. It's just the smart key in my Corolla have a black button to lock.

stearicom, Thanks. Found it the manual. Had to do a backward search from alphabetical index to find it. It's default set to 30 seconds and can be set to 0, 60 or 120. I was just worried it wouldn't shut off at all.

rsn48, Mine is a el cheapo compared to yours. Does not have all those cameras your's have. Only camera is the back up camera. Anyway I found the unit is a "raindrop sensor". Page 213 in the manual.
I bought from Westminster Toyota. They are the only one that gave me the best price. First tried Granville Toyota, Fraser St. They wouldn't give any discount even for Cash sale. Just quote the same price from Toyota Canada build price plus their agency fees. Then Destination Toyota, Still Creek. (That's the one you bought from.) C$200 difference and I walked.

Thanks all for helping me out.

·
Registered
423 Posts
When I have my head lights in the automatic mode, as soon as I open the door they shut off.

·
Registered
450 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
When I have my lights in the automatic mode, as soon as I open the door they shut off.
Car internal lights yes. It's the headlights I was referring to.

·
Registered
423 Posts
It's the headlights that I was referring to also. I edited my previous post. In my first post, I had misunderstood you.

Reactions: Butts

·
Registered
450 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
It's the headlights that I was referring to also. I edited my previous post. In my first post, I had misunderstood you.
So much to learn and remember. Must be age.
Spent 2 days RTFM and still not fully understand all function/operations. Auto lights, OK. Auto rain wipers finally got it, (I think). Trying to pair my cell phone and do voice commands. Phone paired OK still trying to do it hand's free and I'm going in circles.:smile

·
Registered
34 Posts
Can you post a photo of the raindrop sensor?

(We Americans don't get as an option at all...wondering if it can be installed aftermarket)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
450 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Can you post a photo of the raindrop sensor?

(We Americans don't get as an option at all...wondering if it can be installed aftermarket)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
450 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
Somehow pictures were too big to post here and have to use photobucket to reduce size.

I didn't know about this until I took delivery. Even Sales Manager don't know what this is. Have to find out myself.
I notice Canadian and US XLE cars are differently spec'd. from reading this forum. F Y I, car comes with heated front seats, powered driver seat with adj. lumbar support all season rubber mats and set of carpet. Sunroof. Mudflaps. Wheel locks. Tow hook. Retractable cargo shade. Michelin Latitude tires. We pay a lot more though and no discounts.
No option package. No entune, No Navigation ( which I wouldn't pay for).

1 - 18 of 18 Posts