Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
535 Posts
Yeah I like that super white. Have you had any paint issues? I need to read up on Toyotas issue with whites.

Funny enough, I generally don't like white cars. But on the rav4 it's the ONLY color I really like. Seems to show off the lines more I think.
My wife got the letter about white pain issues for her white 2011 Avalon. No problems. I had a blizzard white 2012 Prius v, no problems. My son has a white 2011 Prius with 203k miles parked out in the sun all day since new, no problems. I bought a blizzard white Rav4h, no problems.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have been looking, researching, basically dreaming about a Rav4 Hybrid. Ok not that bad. I am torn between an XLE with Convince and Entune Plus or an XSE. I live in Western PA and a bunch of dealers out East can get me a 19 XLE with those packages for 28,900 before taxes. I found an XSE but the lowest I have gotten is 33,000 before taxes. I am still skeptical about the fuel tank issue too. I have a Honda Civic right now and I guess am used to filling up ever 300 miles so I might take my chances.

Any thoughts would be helpful!

Thanks!!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Sorry that I got you excited on that price. I miss spoke. I actually got it for $31800 total out the door. It was the most confusing negotiations I went through. I was thinking the $900 hybrid rebate was going t0 me after the sale to reduce financing but they included it in the out the door price. Once I realized there was a misunderstanding, I brought it up and that's when the sales manager went ballistic after about 4 hours of negotiation, I told him I apologize for the miscommunication and my wife and I said we don't need the car after all. He dropped the price another $900.
Also I made the deal contingent on filling the tank from empty and it registering over 560 miles. There are some people having issues with being able to fill the tank.
Ha, reminds me of the time I was set to lease a Mercedes C230 at the “advertised” price. After he didn’t accept my final offer, I was devastated and left literally crying. What I didn’t understand is the taxes and fees added on since it was my first lease. He called me back and got it for what I intended on paying. Sometimes it pays to walk away!

·
Registered
19 Posts
I have been looking, researching, basically dreaming about a Rav4 Hybrid. Ok not that bad. I am torn between an XLE with Convince and Entune Plus or an XSE. I live in Western PA and a bunch of dealers out East can get me a 19 XLE with those packages for 28,900 before taxes. I found an XSE but the lowest I have gotten is 33,000 before taxes. I am still skeptical about the fuel tank issue too. I have a Honda Civic right now and I guess am used to filling up ever 300 miles so I might take my chances.

Any thoughts would be helpful

Thanks!!
If you can pay the extra $8k to 9K more you will love the upgrades. I went for it in my 2019 rav4. Waited 1 month for a Blue print blue XSE. First was the rear cross back auto breaking. XLE has only has beeps and lights but the XSE will stop you. There more reason like the 3.0 Entune system. As for the fuel filling problem figure out a way around it. 1. Fill until it clicks off as normal. 2. Pull the nozzle out until you can just see the front of the tip. I will still be in the white insert. Now slowly continuity your filling It will click off a few times while you learning how to do it. 3. check how much to put in from the first click off, it will be 1 1/2 to 2 gallons. If you keep the tip in the white insert you will never spill any out. Gas mileage is 37.8 avg over 4 month. Hope this is what you wanted to know. Joe

·
Registered
3 Posts

Thanks!!

·
Registered
190 Posts
If you are going to keep the car for a long time and you can swing it, get the XSE. Its available with the technology package, pano roof, and the JBL package which is OK, worth it if you don't want to bother upgrading.

It also looks much better than any other trim, and perhaps handles better.

Just reread one of your posts, yes, I would be worried about the gloss black in the brush scratching. I would want non-painted, matt fender flares for the wheels if I was around trees a lot, so the XLE may be better for you.

·
Registered
33 Posts
We have a 2020 XLE Super White on order, with the three packages. Just too much black on the XSE, especially the black roof in the summertime. Did originally lean towards the XSE though, as it is nice looking.

·
Registered
18 Posts
You need to decide up front whether you want the fuel efficiency of a hybrid, or not. Most here will tell you that you hate baby whales if you don't drive a hybrid, but at the end of the day there the same car more or less - different drivetrain.

Based on your prices above, the XLE price seems a little high, even with the packages, compared to what has been posted on the board and what I paid several months ago. The XSE price seems quite good by what I have read.

Whatever you buy, test drive. If ICE powered, then pay attention to how the transmission shifts. The big issue with the hybrid is filling the gas tank, so not sure how you test for that, because I think that issue can show up after the first tank of gas if I am not mistaken.
Bought a limited hybrid as the xse I ordered originally was going to be 6 weeks or more. Have close to 13000 km, and very happy, the fill issue is not really an issue, I fill till it stops and then fill slow one more time till it stops, usually between 800 and 850 Kms with still some left

·
Registered
8 Posts
At first, I wanted the Adventure model. Drove it, the transmission shuddered leaving the dealer lot. Then I drove the XSE hybrid. Smooth as silk, tight on the turns. More responsive than the ICE.

My model is fully tricked out, short of the panoramic moon roof. 38600. Handled great in the mountains on rain slick roads this past weekend. Hops from 70 to 90 on the interstate in a quick blink. Not regretting a dime of the cost. Only regret so far is not running Tail of The Dragon on Hwy 129 in NC, since I was so close by.

I do have that fuel tank fill issue 3 of the last 5 fills have registered short. Still, over 400 miles per tank on the short fill if I don't run it down past empty.

Wifey loves the car. ... She can't have it.
I bought a Ltd hybrid, also without the pano roof. Prior to ordering, the more I read about issues w pano roofs, the less I wanted one. Struggling with what to do about the fuel capacity issue, but what a beautiful car! You sound like someone who likes to zoom every now and then, like me. Wondering what kind of mpg youre getting? I average about 36.5 mostly in Eco mode except when I want to have a little zoom fun.

·
Registered
42 Posts

Thanks!!
We like the XLE Hybrid better mostly because we don’t like the low profile tires on the XSE. The low profile tires are purely cosmetic, and don’t perform as well. Love the RAV4, however; it’s just not a Porsche.

·
Registered
50 Posts
We like the XLE Hybrid better mostly because we don’t like the low profile tires on the XSE. The low profile tires are purely cosmetic, and don’t perform as well. Love the RAV4, however; it’s just not a Porsche.
"Low Profile"? I guess its all a matter of perspective and intended use. The tires on the 18" wheel aren't an extreme low profile tire by any stretch of the imagination and the 18" wheel/ tire can offer some handling improvements over the 17" wheel / tire combo. If you are off roading it then the 17's might be a better choice but the RAV4 really isn't well suited to that anyway. We live in the DC area and the roads are pot hole ridden, particualy after the snow plowing season is over. I7's might offer a bit more protection but there is still a good amount of tire sidewall on the 18's.
These days there are plenty of good tire options in the 18" size so I honestly think there is little reason to avoid the 18"s.
I'm sure an XSE / Limited owner could trade someone here for the 17's if they were so inclined.

·
Registered
42 Posts
"Low Profile"? I guess its all a matter of perspective and intended use. The tires on the 18" wheel aren't an extreme low profile tire by any stretch of the imagination and the 18" wheel/ tire can offer some handling improvements over the 17" wheel / tire combo. If you are off roading it then the 17's might be a better choice but the RAV4 really isn't well suited to that anyway. We live in the DC area and the roads are pot hole ridden, particularly after the snow plowing season is over. I7's might offer a bit more protection but there is still a good amount of tire sidewall on the 18's.
These days there are plenty of good tire options in the 18" size so I honestly think there is little reason to avoid the 18"s.
I'm sure an XSE / Limited owner could trade someone here for the 17's if they were so inclined.
What "low profile" is can be very subjective - especially considering the type of car. For an SUV a normal profile would generally be 70% or more. My 2006 Mustang only has a 65% profile. It just can't benefit from more. So for an SUV, I would defiantly say that the 60% tires on the XSE have a profile on the low side. As you go lower you loose traction in snow & off road, you put more stress on your suspension, the chance of a flat is increased, and as you point out, potholes are more of a factor. Again it is an SUV U=Utility. The original SUV was a Jeep Wrangler for comparison. Even with stiffer suspension, it will have way too much lean to ever benefit from lower profile sidewalls - you just can't corner that hard to benefit or ever notice the difference. In fact even on sports cars people have tested, most will not benefit at all from a lower profile tire. You have to really have an extreme example to benefit from that. Just don't see how an SUV ever could - your CG is way too high.

In Snow, as you mention lower profile is that last thing you want as traction in snow is decreased with the profile of the tire. In fact some are putting 16" wheels on there Rav's so they can get a 70% profile on there tires for better performance in snow.

The benefit is purely cosmetic, and the perception of performance. I would challenge anyone to put a RAV4 on a track & see any measurable difference in handling by decreasing the profile on the tire. Again, it's not a race car or even a sports car. Putting sports car wheels and tires on it isn't going to produce any mechanical benefit.

Don't even get me started on the 19" wheels and 55% tires on the gas Limited. Had a loaner. Is an awkward horrible ride. Is a crossover or Compact SUV hobbled with sports car wheels & tires.

·
Registered
50 Posts
What "low profile" is can be very subjective - especially considering the type of car. For an SUV a normal profile would generally be 70% or more. My 2006 Mustang only has a 65% profile. It just can't benefit from more. So for an SUV, I would defiantly say that the 60% tires on the XSE have a profile on the low side. As you go lower you loose traction in snow & off road, you put more stress on your suspension, the chance of a flat is increased, and as you point out, potholes are more of a factor. Again it is an SUV U=Utility. The original SUV was a Jeep Wrangler for comparison. Even with stiffer suspension, it will have way too much lean to ever benefit from lower profile sidewalls - you just can't corner that hard to benefit or ever notice the difference. In fact even on sports cars people have tested, most will not benefit at all from a lower profile tire. You have to really have an extreme example to benefit from that. Just don't see how an SUV ever could - your CG is way too high.

In Snow, as you mention lower profile is that last thing you want as traction in snow is decreased with the profile of the tire. In fact some are putting 16" wheels on there Rav's so they can get a 70% profile on there tires for better performance in snow.

The benefit is purely cosmetic, and the perception of performance. I would challenge anyone to put a RAV4 on a track & see any measurable difference in handling by decreasing the profile on the tire. Again, it's not a race car or even a sports car. Putting sports car wheels and tires on it isn't going to produce any mechanical benefit.

Don't even get me started on the 19" wheels and 55% tires on the gas Limited. Had a loaner. Is an awkward horrible ride. Is a crossover or Compact SUV hobbled with sports car wheels & tires.
Here is an example that I experienced first hand. I owned an 06 Honda Ridgeline with stock 17" alloys and tire size of 245/65/R17. Spent 120k miles and many good years driving it. I was very particular about it's condition and replaced many of the suspension components to maintain optimal performance. Unfortunately it was t-boned and I then replaced it with a low mileage 2014 Ridgeline Sport model with 18" alloys. Tire size is 245/60/R18. This is still a GenI Ridgeline BTW. I have since spent about 25k miles driving that. They both have / had newish Michelin Defenders on them. . .
There isn't a HUGE difference between they way they behave but there is some noticeable improvement in spirited handling dynamics. The 14 feels better planted and less squirmy. Yes bumps are just a bit more noticeable. Overall, the experience is sportier and to my tastes BETTER. There is absolutely no noticeable difference in snow performance; the Ridge has an excellent AWD system and handles snow very well. The 245/60R18 sidewall is still meaty enough to handle the crap roads where I live just fine. I don't really off road much other than beach driving and at 15psi my 14 handled sand driving just fine thank you.
Compared to the RAV the Ridgeline is a beastly 4500lb vehicle with much greater load capacities and its also a 10 year older platform. Even so, the change in wheel size produces a small but NOTICEABLE change in character that I find beneficial. And yes they do look better too.
My wife's XSE has a nice taut ride that feels well controlled over rough roads yet absorbs bumps just fine. The Hybrid Limited we drove was a bit softer (same wheel size, shock / strut tuning make the differences) and I honestly wouldn't want to go any squishier than that.
I do think that going larger than 18 on the RAV takes you out of the practical wheel size range and begins to diminish utility. For a street driven fair weather vehicle (Florida life for instance) 19's or 20's could survive but they simply aren't practical for any rough use. Putting 20's on the Adventure model like someone did here is a crime IMHO but so is putting 17"s with boat anchor heavy BFG K02s on them.
Your car type argument simply doesn't pan out. Modern car platforms are better than the sports cars of yore the RAV will feel sportier with the 18s. I wouldn't need to drive a RAV on the track to appreciate the differences between 17 and 18 wheels. Spend enough time with both in an otherwise identical vehicle and the pluses and minuses would be subtle but apparent. Just like with my two Ridgelines.

Here's a good video for you showing the capabilities of the RAV hybrid, even hobbled with XSE's "low profile" tires. Plenty of good shots of the those wheels up close looking decidedly NOT low profile. And WOW!, look at the terrain they managed to claw their way up (and not blow out!) with all season tires no less. . .

21 - 33 of 33 Posts