Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had my SUV sitting in a parking lot for little over a day (- 4C). When I tried to start it, it kept saying, "press the gas pedal, and place the key on the start button". WHen I didn't do it, SUV didnt start at all. Finally when I obliged, it did. What went wrong?

I am really worried.

·
Super Moderator
10,591 Posts
I bet if you don't do what it says it won't start again.
I'm worried about YOU.
Go look at one of the other battery dead threads. You need the TSB applied.
Cam, did you read his post? This has nothing to do with the battery and everything to do with not following instructions.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi Dr. Dyno.
I understand. What I wanted to know was why the fob has to touch the start button. On tuesday morning (today), I started fine without doing so. I shall check on TSB. But trying to understand the hybrid mechanism. Could you please throw some light on the error message? I don't mind following instructions at all.

B.

·
Super Moderator
10,591 Posts
Hi Dr. Dyno.
I understand. What I wanted to know was why the fob has to touch the start button. On Tuesday morning (today), I started fine without doing so. I shall check on TSB. But trying to understand the hybrid mechanism. Could you please throw some light on the error message? I don't mind following instructions at all.
Sorry, I thought your main point was regarding the brake pedal. Almost thought your post was a spoof.
Regarding holding the FOB next to the Start button, I haven't heard that one before so we'll await another response but you're right the FOB battery shouldn't be dead. Have you tried the other FOB?

The battery camfused is referring to is the car's 12V battery not the FOB one so I doubt that applies - but at this point who knows.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Honestly, I found it silly to show (touch) the fob to the start engine button. Why does it need to touch? nowadays everything is bluetooth or some sort of waves. Bizarre. Thank God nobody noticed me touch the button and speaking to myself. :) I have called the tech service too. Waiting for an answrer.

·
Registered
89 Posts
I have a theory.
Your car's battery was weak so it wasn’t able to pickup signal from the fob. You have to bring it closer so the stronger signal wakes up the car.

·
Registered
Waiting for an XLE Hybrid 2021
70 Posts
Honestly, I found it silly to show (touch) the fob to the start engine button. Why does it need to touch? nowadays everything is bluetooth or some sort of waves. Bizarre. Thank God nobody noticed me touch the button and speaking to myself. :) I have called the tech service too. Waiting for an answrer.
In regular use, it does not need to touch the button. However, when the FOB battery is starting to be depleted, then there is not enough juice available to power the wireless function of the FOB. Then you need to press the FOB against the button so communication can be acheived (my guess is that it is acting as a NFC device powered by the antenna in the start button).

·
Registered
🇨🇦 2020 RAV4 XLE Hybrid - Super White
1,245 Posts
I had this happen to me while I was out and about. It unlocked normally, but when I sat inside and closed the door it displayed key not detected... Took the fob out of my pocket naturally and then the same warning on the dash displayed as @drb21, followed the instructions and it started just fine.

Clued in it was a weak fob battery, lucky I carry a spare in the glovebox, changed it and restarted the car with no problems. The fob battery lasted me about 8 months which is crazy short, but maybe it wasn’t a full battery from the factory? Hope my replacement lasts longer.

·
Registered
🇨🇦 2020 RAV4 XLE Hybrid - Super White
1,245 Posts
@Chemicalstorm nailed it, radio waves the fob emits to allow the car to start were uber weak. Even when the battery is depleted it’ll emit a faint pulse when held close enough to the sensor (push button ignition) unless the battery was beyond dead (0v).

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Bizzarre. Tech told me it could be low battery. Got swapped with a new battery. It gave me the creeps, when it didn't start. Sometimes, too much tech is a pain. I believe the hard copy inside the fob is for the door as I didn't see any manual key entry for engine start. So much reliance on the hybrid battery!?

Can't believe battery is dead or weak 2 days after I got it from the shop. Did they put in a counterfeit one? Like 3M stickers misspelt as 3W or 3 W or 3 M. Crazy world!

·
Registered
626 Posts
I bet if you don't do what it says it won't start again.
I'm worried about YOU.

Cam, did you read his post? This has nothing to do with the battery and everything to do with not following instructions.
Sorry, you are right, I did not read his post very well.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Anyone got the battery so i can buy some extra off amazon. Im too lazy to research. I just ate a double cheesburger and have food coma. Thanks in advance

·
Registered
181 Posts
Should Be 2032's..
I Keep One On My Goldwing As Well For That Very Reason.

·
Registered
105 Posts
holy cow!. it is brand new car. And I just got it 2 days ago.
It could also be because of low temperature of the keyfob itself. Lithium batteries don't like sub-zero temperatures so if that's a factor keep your keyfob warm in your pocket. Obviously you should have a second key which you can try instead and that will lead to a conclusive diagnosis.

·
Registered
1 Posts
It could also be because of low temperature of the keyfob itself. Lithium batteries don't like sub-zero temperatures so if that's a factor keep your keyfob warm in your pocket. Obviously you should have a second key which you can try instead and that will lead to a conclusive diagnosis.
I agree! I wen't camping and it got pretty cold and the key fob didn't work until it got warmer.

·
Registered
NC '19 Rav4 Hybrid Limited, Entune 3.0, Adaptive Headlights, Advanced Technology Package
1,373 Posts
Sorry, I thought your main point was regarding the brake pedal. Almost thought your post was a spoof.
Regarding holding the FOB next to the Start button, I haven't heard that one before so we'll await another response but you're right the FOB battery shouldn't be dead. Have you tried the other FOB?

The battery camfused is referring to is the car's 12V battery not the FOB one so I doubt that applies - but at this point who knows.

Moving the FOB to be near the start button is recommended for many cars (not just Toyota) when the link between the fob and the car isn't working.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts