Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anybody know how to direct wire an XM Roady 2 reciever for power. I have a 97 RAV4 with only one cigarette lighter and I need to power my radar detector and/or cell phone as well. Or is there a way to add cigarette lighter power outlets?

Thanks

X

·
0 Posts
Whatever you do, don't just cut the plug off the lighter adapter. The roadys run on 6v not 12v. You can get a female lighter socket from Radio Shack, hardwire that in, and then plug your lighter plug into that. Delphi makes a kit for hardwiring them that includes the female socket and an fm adapter to actually connect the roday to your Rav's antenna for better reception. Or, you can take apart the lighter adapter, solder wires directly to the board, and use those to hardwire into vehicle (I wouldn't recommend unless you're familiar with soldering on circuit boards). I've used all three methods, and they all work well.[/b]

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the replies. I'll look into that Delphi Kit. I just saw one of those three unit things at target made by Bell for $10. Do they work alright. I had a two unit model built in to the male end on another car many years ago and it kept blowing a fuse on the car. I just fighures they can't handle extra loads. Granted that was an 87 Ford Tempo. Has any one had such a problem on the RAV4 with these units?

Thanks.

·
Registered
986 Posts
I can't imagine that a Roady, a radar detector, and a cellphone charger add up to more than a couple of amps at best, so the adapter should be able to handle the load.

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
I got a XM Roady 2 in my rav i got a lighter addapter that has 3 plugs . 1 radar ,2 xm radio 3 open
any way where did you mount your xm radio I mounted mine in the center console . xm its nice to have

1 - 6 of 6 Posts