Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently purchased my Mom's 2010 RAV4. It does not have sat radio and do not want to spend $200 swapping them. I have the older delphi sky radios but doesn't look like a good place to mount, because of its size. Has anyone purchased the newer radios? Which ones and where did you mount it? I see there is a mount that comes right out of the power outlet that may not be too bad.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Do you have the stock radio? I have an aftermarket double din and there's a module that plugs in and you control it thru the radio itself. There's nothing that you need to worry about putting anywhere except a low profile antenna for reception that you mount to the roof

Sent from my LG-D852 using Tapatalk

·
Your Humble Administrator
2008 RAV4 Limited V6
16,716 Posts
I replaced my 2008 head unit with a head unit from a 2011 that had XM for a little over $50:

(((XM))) radio

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
How did you find one for $50? A salvage yard? To find one compatible, it needs to be 3rd generation, and will all XM capable radios, have the XM symbol, above the AM-Sat button? I remember seeing a link on here somewhere to complete the swap. I'll prob go this route, wanted the option of using my other car also, but don't really want to clutter things up or add another antenna.

·
2008 RAV4 Limited V6
16,716 Posts
How did you find one for $50? A salvage yard? To find one compatible, it needs to be 3rd generation, and will all XM capable radios, have the XM symbol, above the AM-Sat button? I remember seeing a link on here somewhere to complete the swap. I'll prob go this route, wanted the option of using my other car also, but don't really want to clutter things up or add another antenna.
Ebay. All the information is in the link I provided.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Got it. Thanks. A lot of information. I couldn't tell on my phone that that was a link. It's too bad the original antenna doesn't have XM capability. The one question I still have is the 2009-2011 radio circuits will work in my 2010, but a 2006-2008 radio, may require a jumper wire? I'm not familiar with how to do this or why, so would probably try to steer clear of this unless it's a deal I can't resist.

·
2008 RAV4 Limited V6
16,716 Posts
Got it. Thanks. A lot of information. I couldn't tell on my phone that that was a link. It's too bad the original antenna doesn't have XM capability. The one question I still have is the 2009-2011 radio circuits will work in my 2010, but a 2006-2008 radio, may require a jumper wire? I'm not familiar with how to do this or why, so would probably try to steer clear of this unless it's a deal I can't resist.
Don't worry about it. The 2006-2008 did not have a built-in XM tuner--they required an expensive add-on tuner that mounted under the passenger seat. Very few of those are around. Bottom line is get the 2009-2011 with the XM logo on the front and make sure it's NOT a JBL head unit unless you have the matching JBL amplifier that goes with it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts