Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,939 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I installed an ACDelco 25775201 GM Original Equipment XM Digital Radio Antenna near the FM stock radio antenna. I put it forward and to the right to keep it clear of my kayak. This was another part of my latest series of upgrades.

Photos to follow.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I installed an ACDelco 25775201 GM Original Equipment XM Digital Radio Antenna near the FM stock radio antenna. I put it forward and to the right to keep it clear of my kayak. This was another part of my latest series of upgrades.

Photos to follow.
Hi eodgator
Yeah I was looking at that exact one too! how was the installation and also, how is the reception? I've been wanting to replace that stock antenna I currently have too!

·
Premium Member
1,939 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I used it because I had another vehicle with this antenna and got great reception, as this one does.

I get good reception with the stock AM/FM antenna when extended so I didn't mess with it. By the way, shark fin type AM/FM antennas usually don't have good reception so I would avoid them.

Keep your cable run as short as possible to get your best reception on any antenna.

Sorry I didn't get to the pics yet, I have to move her out of where I'm working on her to get a good photo, difficult to do with the interior stripped.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Has anyone tried relocation the antenna? Maybe like over the passenger side fender? Not sure as too what it would take as i havent taken the fender apart but seems like a good location nonetheless...

·
Premium Member
1,939 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I considered moving the AM/FM antenna from the roof but it works there so I left it in place. I suppose one of the old style fixed Ford metal fender mount antennas would work fine, I don't think there is room or enough access to install a retracting antenna on the right front fender.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I considered moving the AM/FM antenna from the roof but it works there so I left it in place. I suppose one of the old style fixed Ford metal fender mount antennas would work fine, I don't think there is room or enough access to install a retracting antenna on the right front fender.
Humm... i think i might try investigating this a bit more...

i'm really hating my antenna placement. it's just so banged up. it definitely works, reception isn't great, but i just feel like its not the best location and will continue to get banged up. Was thinking of one of those black flexible rubber antenna's and placed over the front right fender. will have to check out all the tech behind antenna's and info. will get back to you guys!

·
Registered
67 Posts
In theory, i should be able to...

1. pull mast and wiring from roof

2. close up opening (welding and paint, etc. OR use existing molding and some JB weld to seal hole were telescoping antenna would have come though)

3. Use Replacement AM/FM Antenna as my new antenna mast, connect back to radio and snake wiring through somehow to front Passenger Side Fender

4. Make new hole in Passenger Side Fender for antenna mast

5. Then use a Stubby Antenna if thats what i were looking for, or in my case use a Black Flexible Antenna

Now this is all in theory, and does seem like a lot of work... humm... any thoughts?

·
Premium Member
1,939 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
In theory, i should be able to...

1. pull mast and wiring from roof

2. close up opening (welding and paint, etc. OR use existing molding and some JB weld to seal hole were telescoping antenna would have come though)

3. Use Replacement AM/FM Antenna as my new antenna mast, connect back to radio and snake wiring through somehow to front Passenger Side Fender

4. Make new hole in Passenger Side Fender for antenna mast

5. Then use a Stubby Antenna if thats what i were looking for, or in my case use a Black Flexible Antenna

Now this is all in theory, and does seem like a lot of work... humm... any thoughts?
Sounds like a plan, the only other thing I want to point out is to avoid the sharkfin AM/FM antennas, as they usually have mediocre reception. Those old style straight wire Ford fixed fender antennas had pretty good reception, see https://www.ebay.com/itm/Car-Radio-40-Narrow-Mount-Antenna-Section-Mast-55-5-Cable-for-1971-Up-Ford/322249594556?hash=item4b079296bc:g:xFwAAOSwZula0VBB&vxp=mtr.

As far as time and effort, if it is something that you really want to do then it's worth it. Take a look at my garage and see that I don't shy away from much because the car is fun to drive, easy to work on (well except for the EGR VSV), it's paid for and therefore rather than just letting her deteriorate, I can put some money into her and make the old girl better and make her the way I want her. I don't care if someone doesn't like the brush guard, the roof rack, the snorkel or anything else I've done, I do and that makes it worth it to me to keep my old RAV4 running and looking good.

·
Premium Member
1,939 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
At long last photos of the XM antenna.

·
Premium Member
1,939 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hmm for some reason my pictures vanished, I'll try again. The XM Radio reception is great.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts