Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How scratch and scuff prone is the XSE gloss black exterior parts? I really am not a fan of it but my wife really wanted it and of course since it's her vehicle she got what she wanted. We had a "discussion" about the gloss black as I'd much rather have the matte black plastic since it's scratch resistant.

I drive a Mini Cooper S with gloss black exterior trim and it is so scratch prone it's not even funny. Within the first 4 months I had several scratches where I need touch up paint to fix them.

·
Registered
2020 Toyota RAV4 Limited Hybrid
40 Posts
How scratch and scuff prone is the XSE gloss black exterior parts? I really am not a fan of it but my wife really wanted it and of course since it's her vehicle she got what she wanted. We had a "discussion" about the gloss black as I'd much rather have the matte black plastic since it's scratch resistant.

I drive a Mini Cooper S with gloss black exterior trim and it is so scratch prone it's not even funny. Within the first 4 months I had several scratches where I need touch up paint to fix them.
I'm with you. I like how the matte plastic looks on the RAV4, lots of people disagree. On the same token, I don't really like the Piano black trim on the XSE. Reason being is that I plan to take my Ravoff the beaten path every now and then, with the same assumption that you have: the piano black will be more prone to visible scratches, micro or otherwise. In theory you could polish out the scratches from the trim since its painted on. The matte plastic will stay damaged unless you replace it, but I'm willing to deal with that.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Lovely. . I tried to talk her out if it but she liked how sporty it looked. I much preferred the TRD Off-road and Adventure look. Heck I like the Limited look better.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Lovely. . I tried to talk her out if it but she liked how sporty it looked. I much preferred the TRD Off-road and Adventure look. Heck I like the Limited look better.
That's funny because in my opinion my Limited looks more sporty that the XSE...Diff'rent strokes, friend 😅.

To me the XSE looks more refined. I honestly think that the Limited trim should have had the Piano black and the XSE matte black. Maybe I'm just weird like that...

·
Registered
107 Posts
With unpainted black trim, you can maintain them by pulling them out, either do a proper back-to-black treatment (chemical or heat gun) or plastidip them black to protect them from the elements. As much as I am worried they’d turn ugly quickly, I think it’s the lesser of 2 evils

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
With unpainted black trim, you can maintain them by pulling them out, either do a proper back-to-black treatment (chemical or heat gun) or plastidip them black to protect them from the elements. As much as I am worried they’d turn ugly quickly, I think it’s the lesser of 2 evils
Are you referring to getting the matte black trim? My wife has agreed to let me swap the gloss black fender flares for the matte black. Even my Mini with the gloss black top and mirrors, has matte black fender flares and bumpers and it looks just fine to us.

·
Registered
107 Posts
We don’t get painted trim here. Only matte ones. I would however look to see how I can get the Adventure over fender but appears they have extra holes in the rear bumper.

·
Registered
2019 Hybrid Limited
65 Posts
I love the look of the XSE black trim. If you can keep it reasonably clean and dont live in an area where its going to get chipped up that would be perfect. Up where I live unfortunately I bet it wouldn't last one winter season. Couldn't find one to buy anywhere within 1000km of here anyway but they had a limited so I made it look like an XSE where I wanted;)
I've only had mine 6 months and the little wedges that stick out on the rear door trim are already dinged up. Luckily some wipe new helps take care of that. I'm actually thinking of LineXing all the trim and bumpers. Are there any pics of someone who has done that on here?

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I love the look of the XSE black trim. If you can keep it reasonably clean and dont live in an area where its going to get chipped up that would be perfect. Up where I live unfortunately I bet it wouldn't last one winter season. Couldn't find one to buy anywhere within 1000km of here anyway but they had a limited so I made it look like an XSE where I wanted;)
I've only had mine 6 months and the little wedges that stick out on the rear door trim are already dinged up. Luckily some wipe new helps take care of that. I'm actually thinking of LineXing all the trim and bumpers. Are there any pics of someone who has done that on here?
We are in the northern part of Texas. My wife hates the look of bedliner anywhere but the bed of a truck. . I’d really like to Line-X the gloss black parts of her car but that would be another argument as she really likes the gloss black.

·
Registered
40 Posts
When my warranty matures (8 years) I plan on doing that. I've seen it done on 4Runners (Tan 4 Runner with its wheel arches and bumper sprayed with Tan bed-liner). Its not for everyone, but I like the look of it.

As a side story: I had a 2006 Corolla XRS that had a rusting roof. My friend and I sanded the roof down, prepped it and ended up using black spray of bed liner instead of finding a replacement roof because we really didn't want to spend the time to match the roof to the car. Worked like a charm, and now most of the major car companies have black roofs on their upper tier models :ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
12 Posts
XSE trim looks way better. I wouldn't have even consider the limited once I saw the difference. But im a young guy coming from an infiniti g37 so sporty is what I'm after. I've polished the black trim by the wheels a couple times already due to sand/ dirt causing a visible fade where it splashed.... but this is to be expected.

XSE is the most distinctive trim that looks very different than other rav trims, and I like that alot.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I am in the process of making my exterior Limited look like an XSE. Originally i was looking at acquiring the XSE trim, but the more i thought about the less i wanted it. I am going to leave everything at wheel level matte black, but i will use cerakote ceramic trim coating on it.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts