Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wife has a 2019 XSE hybrid and I have a 2020 Limited hybrid. I have noticed when driving her Rav4 that the steering seems more "stiff" for lack of a better word. I'm not sure how else to describe it. When I drive my Limited, the steering wheel seems to be loose. I really don't know what I am trying to say here, but I do like how her steering wheel requires a bit more force in order to turn the wheels whereas in my car any little jerk or movement in the steering wheel is immediately noticeable. Does anyone know how to adjust the steering in these vehicles?

·
Registered
477 Posts
Check what driving mode you both are using. IE: Eco, Normal, Sport.
Sport mode will give you the stiffest feel to the steering.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Is the lane departure control on for either of them? Also the XSE is a different suspension or higher then the limited.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Yep, the XSE has the "sport-tunes suspension". Not too sure the details of what Toyota did, maybe just a firmer spring.

Swapping a suspension is a pretty sizable amount of money (or personal labor).
There really is no adjustments (do not think our electric steering has any adjustments), but you can do the usual little mods: strut/body bars, wheel spacer, lower profile tires, etc.
Personally, I would just dump the money into a Mazda Miata w/ the 5-speed manual =-)

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
Personally, I would just dump the money into a Mazda Miata w/ the 5-speed manual =-)
My neighbor bought a new Miata. It's definitely not built for someone 6' 1". I barely fit with the roof down and even then I was looking at the top of the windshield support beam. No way could I drive it safely. Kind of why I went with the RAV4.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Check what driving mode you both are using. IE: Eco, Normal, Sport.
Sport mode will give you the stiffest feel to the steering.
She uses it exclusively in ECO mode. I alternate. Even is sport mode my steering wheel does not feel as stiff.

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
Same tires and pressures?

·
Registered
576 Posts
Could someone who is more internet-savvy look up part numbers to see if both models use the same steering rack? Another way to determine if they are the same would be to see if both trims require the same number of steering wheel turns lock-to-lock.

A noticably-stiffer steering feel implies more than slightly stiffer springs. Some have addressed tires and tire pressures, which may be a factor.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts