Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

XTRONS PF7BRVTA

4K views 7 replies 3 participants last post by  Theo 
#1 ·
#2 ·
In the end all tropical brands are Windows or Android operated head units, mostly junk, just some quite ok.
I recently swapped my Chinese head unit to a 2DIN Kenwood, it was like stepping in a warm bath on a winters day.

#4 ·
We just purchased a 2010 Rav4 and are looking to upgrade the head unit. After searching on here, I saw some bad reviews on other models of Xtrons, but nothing related to the PF7BRVTA. It's a little more expensive, and it may be a newer model. Does anyone have any experience with it?

7" Android 4.4.4 KitKat Quad-Core Car DVD Player with Screen Mirroring Function for Toyota RAV4 | Xtrons
This might be worth a look for 268.74. ZENITHMAKE
Quad core 1024*600 HD Screen 2 din Android 4.4 Toyota Rav 4 RAV4 Car DVD Player Audio Video stereo GPS Navigation Radio 3G wifi

http://www.aliexpress.com/af/rav4%252Bnavigation/2.html?site=glo&g=y&SearchText=rav4+navigation&isAffiliate=y&initiative_id=AS_20160522125404&shipCountry=US&needQuery=n&isOnSale=yes

And this is the Joying unit to compare specs with

Amazon.com: JOYING Android 4.4.4 Quad Core 7 Inch 1024*600 Resolution Hd Capacitive Multi-touch Screen Car DVD Player for Toyota Rav4 2006 2007 2008 2009 2010 2011,Fm/am Radio Stereo GPS Navigation with Bluetooth,support Dvr/usb/sd/steering Wheel/bac

#6 ·
The Kenwood is standaard set that you have to connect your parking break wire in order to use some radio functions, that's true.
There is a simple trick: connect the 'hand brake' wire of the Kenwood radio direct to the ground, or connect it to the Kenwood radio housing. Fixed.

Zenith is also a Chinese brand, but then in the higher quality section.
Some users like it, some users are happy the bought a thrue brand radio later.
I have no experience with Zenith, I'm just telling what users wrote in multiple forums. The stuff I read before I bought my Kenwood.

The difference in Chinese head units and true brand head units is actualy quite simple:
Al works ok in a Chinese head unit, but everything is just a step back in quality.
Radio receiption, sound quality, navigation software, mp3 playback, etc. it all works quite ok in a Chinese head unit, but that's it.
When you have a true brand like Kenwood, Pioneer, Alpine, you experience perfect radio receiption, very good sound, etc. etc.

#8 · (Edited)
I've bought the Kenwood DNX7150DAB, the Eisa 2015-2016 Award winner in the EU for best and most versatile head unit. (Most probably not a US model.) The DAB part stands for a more or less digital version of FM radio, because in the EU we have no flat satellite radio coverage for mobile usage while moving.

It's preloaded with on board Garmin Navigator and 3 years of free and full maps update. It's not on a SD card, it's on the internal drive/memory of the Kenwood. Navigation works ok, but map updates follow slow. Garmin does frequent map updates for it's own hardware devices, but the rest with 'Garmin Built-In' devices must wait a couple of extra months before they get it. Don't know why.

I've used a German made and Patented radio frame which fits perfect and solid, without having to use the original Toyota radio brackets. Kenwood EU also sells this bracket under it's own Kenwood radio frame type number. You can find some info, and my first installation problems here.

I also bought the Kenwood KCA-WL100 Miracast HDMI dongle to mirror my iPhone screen over WiFi to the head unit, without having to use al those separate HDMI-, USB, and Lightning cables snaking out of my dash. It's also the cheap solution for Apple's Carplay, which this Kenwood radio does not have. But I actually don't miss that option. Actually now I can use any iPhone App via the Kenwood screen, instead of a few dedicated Carplay Apps. And yes, view via the Kenwood screen, and operate Apps via the phone it self. That's mirroring.
The KCA-WL100 dongle costs about $90,00 and Android phones can even be operated via the Kenwood radio screen, not only mirroring, but also true-mirroring, as if your Kenwood screen is your phone's screen. Swipe, zoom in/out, choose and operate Apps, etc.

In the mean time Kenwood EU launched the DNX7150DAB successor; the DNX8160DABS with Apple's Carplay and Android Auto. Most probably this is a EU version of the US Kenwood DDX9902S, which was released quite a few months earlier. But as always: EU comes later, especially The Netherlands.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.