Toyota RAV4 Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's been a long time since I've even had a look around on the site. Ever since my wife took the Rav4 over full time I haven't really done anything with it.

The wife is planning on getting a new ride soon and the good new is we're keeping my baby! It will remain in the family and it's looking like it's going to be a second vehicle for me to play with and RICE UP!

First mod in over 4 years. In hind sight I should have bought the Camry pre-cut fog light covers as this fog light assembly is shared between these two and several other Toyota's. I am planning on doing my work truck also which I could not find pre-cuts for (2013 F-250 Super Duty Coal Burner), so I just bought a sheet of the yellow stuff and got the job done.

Not too bad of a process. The only pain in the ass is accessibility to the inner most retaining bolt/screw on the passenger side if you are doing this without removing the front body work. I found I was able to get the driver side assembly out easy peasy.

Just following the directions for a fog light bulb change which entails pulling the inner fender well away from the from bumper/bodywork, un-clip the connector from the back of the bulb and using a couple 6" wobble extensions and a 3/8 drive universal joint you can get a socket on all of the hardware.

Once the fog light assemblies were out I cleaned them up the best I could and cut out a couple squares from the lamin-x sheet and went to work. I made relief cuts where the material was bunching and slowly worked my way around. I then trimmed it with a very sharp utility knife then using a blow dryer heated and worked the sheet down all around the perimeter of the glass lens.

I think they turned out pretty good. I've always loved yellow lights and doing the fogs are the only light that can legally be tinted yellow or amber other than "parking lights" in my province. The second one took me 1/2 the time of the first. I only wish I had got lamin-x on these 7 years ago when I bought the Rav4 new. Even though the fog lenses are glass there's still significant pitting as you can see in the close-up.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
What kind of bulbs do you have in the fogs?...when I had my stock fogs I just installed yellow bulbs but now I have led fogs so I may put the yellow tint on them.....yours came out nice...

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
What kind of bulbs do you have in the fogs?...when I had my stock fogs I just installed yellow bulbs but now I have led fogs so I may put the yellow tint on them.....yours came out nice...
Thank you sir!

Bulbs are the OEM H11 halogens (I think that's the bulb type?). I honestly don't think those bulbs have ever been changed. I have a suspicion they are the original bulbs from new!

When one of them goes I will most likely be switching to LED. That's what I have in my work truck and they're pretty impressive.. Got them off Amazon "JDM ASTAR 1200 Lumens Extremely Bright 144-EX Chipsets" my only complaint is that the colour temp is a bit higher than I would have liked... they're probably around 6000-6500K if I had to guess..so a bit blue.

Sent from my SM-G925W8 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
The only problem I see with those led bulbs is that they are unfocused and more of a flood style light....can't be good in bad weather at all not to mention blinding oncoming traffic....I bought the xb fogs from morimoto...not real bright as compared to my projectors but they throw a little wider beam....I use them mainly for drl's...very happy with the look...

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The only problem I see with those led bulbs is that they are unfocused and more of a flood style light....can't be good in bad weather at all not to mention blinding oncoming traffic....I bought the xb fogs from morimoto...not real bright as compared to my projectors but they throw a little wider beam....I use them mainly for drl's...very happy with the look...
Yes the XB Fogs from Morimoto are really, really nice. I almost bought a set but couldn't justify the price with the exchange rate being so bad. If our dollar was on par with USD they'd be on the way.

Admittedly that is the downside to this style of bulb. However I haven't had any complaints... Yet ?

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Here's some daytime pics... Try to look past the bugs ☺

uploadfromtaptalk1441740816181.jpg uploadfromtaptalk1441740843343.jpg

1 - 6 of 6 Posts