Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have a used 2009 RAV4 Limited and noticed this wire with a 10 amp fuse and black wire leading away, anyone have an idea of what this might be used for? Sorry, the wire was connected to the positive on the battery. We were cleaning the posts and the other connecting leads. I was just curious if anyone had any ideas as to what this might be used for. I will take a look under the vehicle and see where the wire leads. I did hook up a towing package, but the wire was already in place before that.
IMG_20200716_114352.jpg
IMG_20200716_114434.jpg

·
Registered
380 Posts
That looks like a user added wire, which can be used for many aftermarket device. The previous user may remove the device but left the wire and fuse. You can remove it completely.

·
Registered
653 Posts
Not a clue. This is definitely aftermarket, and the household marrette with black tape doesn’t inspire confidence on my part. Only way to figure out what it’s for is to trace that black wire down to whatever accessory it powered.

Reactions: Automender

·
Registered
324 Posts
Definitely someone installed something and really didn't have the expertise to make the connections properly. Maybe a fog or driving lights.

·
Registered
2011 Barcelona Red Rav4 Sport
33 Posts
Yikes, that looks very poorly done. I would personally follow the wire just to see where it goes, then pull it out afterward.

·
Registered
473 Posts
Since it isn't hooked up to the battery, it WILL NOT cause problems. When I added a trailer hitch and trailer light wiring to another car I had, the connection for the light kit looked like that. As other posters have said, previous owner added something but must have removed it. Just make sure that round lug never gets attached to the battery.

·
Registered
8,423 Posts
If that is connected to the positive terminal as indicated in the post heading and the picture 10A fuse has not blown it is hot - suggest pulling the fuse to disable any possibility of the exposed terminal grounding. That theoretically would blow the fuse anyway, but it's best to avoid any possible problem with sparking, etc.

·
Registered
473 Posts
The first picture shows it is NOT connected to the battery. Or anything.

·
Registered
8,423 Posts
The first picture shows it is NOT connected to the battery. Or anything.
One end is open and the other part is clearly connected to something, could be the wiring harness - the wire and fuse are not simply just lying there unconnected or obviously would have fallen off to somewhere. OP's post heading says it is connected to the positive terminal.

·
Registered
473 Posts
IS connected, or WAS connected?
Looks like the round lug WAS connected. If the other end is connected to the positive and the round lug is just flopping around, I wish him luck!!

·
Registered
473 Posts
Trailer harness. Compare that to this (for a newer model year):
Tekonsha 118801 T-One Connector Assembly with Upgraded Circuit Protected ModuLite HD Module, Lighting & Electrical - Amazon Canada

If you poke around in the back area under the floorboards or under the bumper, you might find the rest of the trailer kit (or, more that likely it’s removed) so you may just find the other end of the wire.
That's what the trailer harness 12 volt source on my 2010 Vibe (Toyota Matrix) looked like. The round thingie (called a lug) was connected to the positive battery post. Since it looks like it is NOT connected, it can cause no harm. Tape the lug and remove the fuse if it makes you feel better.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts