Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 4Cyl Sport 4x4. I am NOT into street racing or lowering my vehicle at all. My Rav4 is a double duty type thing for me that represents what I see as the best of both worlds I live in:

Grocery and work commuter with great gas mileage

AND

Take me fishing pulling my boat ANYWHERE.

I understand that many will say get a "Real" 4x4 and I get their point of view. But in my eyes if you think that the RAV4 is not good off road, chances are you have no idea how to drive it off road. From a Sunfire, to Oldsmobile Intrigue to my last Monte Carlo, I went places most people, for some reason, seem reluctant to bring trucks and SUVs. PANSIES!

Then again, it's not like we don't have a history of pushing our vehicles too hard. This is me and a friend with his Sunfire a couple of years ago when trout season opened:

(Fast Forward to the 2:40 mark...)

Having said all this, I am NOT into needlessly ruining the Rav4. The Sunfire was due for decommissioning... and the Monte was in fantastic shape and I did not damage her at all doing what I did going up snowmobile trails and deer paths. Perfect compression and no oil leak and no bent frame and no blown out suspension. Tranny was a little *Bangy* but that is a Chev thing.

I currently have some sort of idiotic 18inch rims and thin walled/profiled tires that make me think I am going to loose my teeth whenever I hit the 60kms worth of potholes and washboard dirt logging roads that lead me to many of my fishing spots.

I have: 235 55 18s

Can't stand the ride. I mean, they are nice on the street, but street isn't my thing.

I was thinking about going to 16s. What I am wondering is what is the highest I can go before I start rubbing wheel well!

225 75 16s seem to be what I am thinking about, but is that "Too Much" sidewall? If I go around a corner on the highway @50mph is that sidewall too tall to stand up? Will it make the handling at highway speeds squirrelly? I was even looking at 235 75 16s with a 6.9inch sidewall.

What is the biggest total tire height anyone has had on here?
Anyone have experience with a Rav4 with a 6.6inch sidewall? (FYI the 18s have a 5.1 inch.)
I couldn't give a crap about Speedo-offset either BTW.
How much do you think I could get for these rims and tires?

Craig

HOLY CRAP! Those images attached were upside up everywhere else. Is the server in Australia?

Admin: Easy enough to fix these photos with Irfanview.

Attachments

·
Registered
279 Posts
225/75-16 will fit easily with room for low profile snow cables. The great thing about that size is, it's what Jeeps come with, so you'll have lots of options. There is no 225/80-16 by any big name manufactures here in USA that I know if.
Do you have skidplate?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No, no skid plate yet. I will likely get one made or maybe if I go the prefab route I will get one with a bull bar.

·
Registered
320 Posts
I have a 2007 Sport 4x4 that I have been running 255/55-18 (which is a 29" OD) General Grabber AT2's for about 67000 miles with no issues. Even though they have a 60,000 mile warranty and have put 67000 miles on them there is still some tread left but they are getting a little hard. Over all I have been very pleased with the tires however it is now time to replace them, I was looking to replace them next year but that time table has just been pushed up. I had a piece of metal pierce the side wall on one the other day and since they are worn enough I can't replace just the one.

I did have very light rubbing at full lock when the tires were new because of the tires aggressive shoulder tread but that was the only clearance issues I had, If you can call it an issue. The ride was better than the stock tires, but still not plush by any means. They are an XL tire so they are meant for heavier loads, which I think helped with the tread wear, that and doing 5 tire rotations every 6 months. One thing to keep in mind with this size tire the spare tire cover will not fit and I had to use a wheel spacer with the spare tire. They aren't a quiet tire but they aren't bad, they have gotten a little louder with age but over all they are about the same as a snow tire.

Here are some pics of the tires right after I got them.

SS-

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
@SilverStar I think I prefer the look of no spare cover, however I would think in our neck of the woods they dump salt on the roads like it's the world's largest sour apple and I wonder if the lugs and spare mounting hardware would rust to heck.

NICE aggressive looking tread on those too. Did you not find the 255 too wide in the snow?

BTW your 2007 looks like it's in amazing shape!
@ThurzNite What did the plate cost you? I see no prices... and what the heck is a gas tank plate going to run you? Is it a home mount type thing or does it have to be welded in place?

Craig

·
Registered
320 Posts
@SilverStar I think I prefer the look of no spare cover, however I would think in our neck of the woods they dump salt on the roads like it's the world's largest sour apple and I wonder if the lugs and spare mounting hardware would rust to heck.

NICE aggressive looking tread on those too. Did you not find the 255 too wide in the snow?

BTW your 2007 looks like it's in amazing shape!
@ThurzNite What did the plate cost you? I see no prices... and what the heck is a gas tank plate going to run you? Is it a home mount type thing or does it have to be welded in place?

Craig
I prefer the look of the no cover as well and that was one of the factors in me going with those tires. As far as the spare mounting hardware rusting I haven't noticed too much on mine, although they don't salt the roads here. I can say this though with mudflaps the spare tire/wheel stays pretty clean. I would think the 4 on the ground would be more likely to rust.

Honestly I think 255 is probably "too wide" for snow, especially since the Rav is so light. I say "too wide" because I haven't notice tire width having much effect on snow traction, (obviously not comparing extreme width's) 255 isn't much wider than stock. I have found tread/tire design is more important than width and these tires are great in the snow. Granted I am here in the greater Seattle area so the amount of snow we have to deal with is nothing compared to others. But we did have record snow fall a year after I got these tires and I could go almost anywhere, ground clearance was the limiting factor.

SS-

·
Registered
279 Posts
I'm enjoying my bgf ko2. Recommended if you do severe off roading.
Also, don't forget to look at the load rating. Mine are C rated LT. If you're light roading, you can use standard load, which are the tire sizes starting with the letter P before the section width. Just be careful when you air down.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I did the swap today on the first snow of our season.

From
235 - 55 - 18s
to
225 - 70 - 16s

MUCH nicer ride. I went from feeling every crack and seam in the road to super nice ride. I cant wait for my next trip on that logging road that almost knocked out my fillings last time!!

I like the center caps too... I wasn't sure at first but now that I see it on, I'm sold on them!

Craig

Attachments

·
Registered
279 Posts
I did the swap today on the first snow of our season.

From
235 - 55 - 18s
to
225 - 70 - 16s

MUCH nicer ride. I went from feeling every crack and seam in the road to super nice ride. I cant wait for my next trip on that logging road that almost knocked out my fillings last time!!

I like the center caps too... I wasn't sure at first but now that I see it on, I'm sold on them!

Craig
What tires did you go with? Are you planning on using snow chains/cables? Any reason you didn't go with 235/70?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
What tires did you go with? Are you planning on using snow chains/cables? Any reason you didn't go with 235/70?
Firestones of some description!

I want narrow tires for the snow. Otherwise I will be pushing more snow than necessary. If I could find them at a good price, I will go with 215 - 85 - 16s for the summer.

As per my experience, the wider the tire, the worse it is in the snow.

Craig

·
Registered
279 Posts
Firestones of some description!

I want narrow tires for the snow. Otherwise I will be pushing more snow than necessary. If I could find them at a good price, I will go with 215 - 85 - 16s for the summer.

As per my experience, the wider the tire, the worse it is in the snow.

Craig
Yes and no. For light fluffy snow you want to float, so low PSI for longer footprint. For packed snow, narrow tread and high PSI.

I'd say stick with the 215. There aren't as many 215 all terrain winter tires as there are 225.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Yes and no. For light fluffy snow you want to float, so low PSI for longer footprint. For packed snow, narrow tread and high PSI.

I'd say stick with the 215. There aren't as many 215 all terrain winter tires as there are 225.
Light and fluffy just ain't a thing here! If it is, it's very short lived! We get hard pack within a couple of snow storms. Most snow fall here is north of -5C.... so the snow has a tendancy to be wet. Then the mercury drops like my ex-wife's panties and freezes it solid... like her heart!

Craig

·
Your Humble Administrator
2008 RAV4 Limited V6
16,893 Posts
Then the mercury drops like my ex-wife's panties and freezes it solid... like her heart!
Damn, Craig, that's cold!! :surprise

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Damn, Craig, that's cold!! :surprise
lol... Yup. My own damn fault. I knew going in to the gates of hell I was trying to bed the Devil herself.

Sorta the same way I drive into what looks like a bush road and I figure out far too late that it was a deer trail.

Craig

·
Registered
16 Posts
I just got some Nokian Rotiiva AT 235/65 r17, upgraded from some POS geolanders. They rock! I live in Blue River BC so I'm pretty remote and we get a lot of snow and the closest plow is over an hour away. On road performance is louder, definitely. But I have pretty low standards, I find the Rav to be pretty quiet in the first place. They are a bit softer on hot pavement going around corners at 120kmh (sea to sky area I noticed it), but the off road performance is incredible. I was up to the headlights in blower pow, breaking trail on a logging road and it just kept going. I turned off the traction control and it was a tank. Corners in snow/ice are great too. I did notice about 1-2 loss in MPG but it's very marginal. The only downside is that I would give them a 3/5 on braking in ice. The highway has been a nightmare and I don't realize how slippery it is until I brake (yes I know this is obvious), but the acceleration and cornering on slippery stuff is great. Paid about 180 a piece at KalTire.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Austin, a little off-topic here, but how do you turn off the traction control? There's no switch in ours to do so, I've always wondered if that's something that could be done. Any chance you have some info on that? Thanks.

BTW, I recently swapped the tires on the wife's car, kept the stock size but put on the BFG KO2s and I must say they are excellent. Got about 8"-10" of snow 2 days after we put them on and they have been solid. I'm hoping I can take it on some trails this summer to see how it does.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Ya.. not being able to turn off the TC was something I did not like! Here are the dance steps you need found elsewhere on this site:

Once the car is started, you have thirty seconds to complete the process. With practice, the procedure can be completed in approximately fifteen seconds but, unfortunately, must be repeated each time the car is switched off.

1. Make sure the car is in Park and the parking brake is disengaged before you start the car.
2. Start the engine.
3. Engage the parking brake.
4. Fully depress the brake pedal and then release.
5. Fully depress the brake pedal and then release.
6. Disengage the parking brake.
7. Fully depress and hold down the brake pedal.
8. Engage the parking brake, then disengage it (while holding down the brake pedal).
9. Engage the parking brake, then disengage it (while holding down the brake pedal).
10. Release the brake pedal.
11. Engage the parking brake.
12. Fully depress the brake pedal and then release.
13. Fully depress the brake pedal and then release.

Looks like witchcraft but it works... and is SOOooo worth the dance!

Craig

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
BTW... here is my 2008 with 225 - 75 - 16s on old rusty steelies with a salt shake and bake paint job coming back from a Christmas trip to Nova Scotia. I did 3200kms (around 2000 miles) through hills and 90kph (50mph) SUSTAINED winds and burnt a lot of gas!

No complaints though. Comfortable and secure the whole way!

Craig

Attachments

1 - 20 of 28 Posts