Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I'm a recent owner of a 2006 LTD with 135k and so far really like the thing. Upon taking it to the dealer for an unrelated issue it was pointed out the the diff axle seals are leaking. I've done some homework on them and bought a new breather vent. While I wasn't able to remove the old one (I'll try a chisel end next time) I was able to break and remove the rusted cap from the old one. I put the cap back on, and I think this makes the breather functional again.

The leaking seems to have been mild--gunk under both axles to the bottom of the diff, and maybe a tiny but of discoloration on the exhaust underneath. After freeing up the stuck breather, I cleaned up one side of the diff and have been checking leakage. I see some very slight shininess around the lower seal area, but I think I may need more than 50 miles or so to determine if the leakage has been stopped or slowed.

So, my question: has anyone replaced the breather on a mildly leaking diff seals, and had the leakage stop? The Yota tech was saying that grit gets in a ruins the seals, but it's hard to know how much of that was him selling up the $770 job...

attached pic of original leakage

Attachments

·
Premium Member
49 Posts
So I'm a recent owner of a 2006 LTD with 135k and so far really like the thing. Upon taking it to the dealer for an unrelated issue it was pointed out the the diff axle seals are leaking. I've done some homework on them and bought a new breather vent. While I wasn't able to remove the old one (I'll try a chisel end next time) I was able to break and remove the rusted cap from the old one. I put the cap back on, and I think this makes the breather functional again.

The leaking seems to have been mild--gunk under both axles to the bottom of the diff, and maybe a tiny but of discoloration on the exhaust underneath. After freeing up the stuck breather, I cleaned up one side of the diff and have been checking leakage. I see some very slight shininess around the lower seal area, but I think I may need more than 50 miles or so to determine if the leakage has been stopped or slowed.

So, my question: has anyone replaced the breather on a mildly leaking diff seals, and had the leakage stop? The Yota tech was saying that grit gets in a ruins the seals, but it's hard to know how much of that was him selling up the $770 job...

attached pic of original leakage

If the pressure already busted the seal chances are replacing the breather will not fix the leak after the fact. This was the 1st "mod" i did after i got my 4Runner is to relplace the rear diff breather to avoid the $1K repair down the road. Hope RAV4 seals are easier and cost less to repair...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
312 Posts
Once the seals leak , then only replacing them will make the leak stop.

A toyota tech friend of mine asked me if my seals were shot yet as soon as I told him I had an 08 Rav 4. Seems quite common....I must change my breather soon as well.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts