Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been keeping track of the gas mileage since we got the Rav4 in March. Today I filled up and got the worst reading ever, 28.3 mpg. I will note that this tank was entirely short trip city driving, mostly in sub-freezing temps so I don't think it's all that bad.

We averaged a calculated 33.6 mpg for the last 2600 miles (the trip computer said 34.7 so it was 3% optimistic). That was close to 50-50 city and highway.

Overall I am quite pleased with the mileage. Especially compared to the 2004 Highland AWD V6 that we replaced. The average for all 5700 miles has been 34.6 mpg with an estimated 60-40 city/highway split.

·
Registered
229 Posts
I recently got the worst mileage for me as well. I think the warm summer weather spoiled us into thinking we could keep averaging this kind of MPGs.:laugh Overall, I am very pleased with the RAV4 Hybrid though and unless they come up with something better, I plan on sticking with this model for years to come:D

·
Premium Member
8,120 Posts
I got 24.8mpg the last fillup, although I only drove 155 miles, all short trips around town, had to use up my Safeway/Chevron gas credits or lose them.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I've got 12 months and 20K miles under my baby now. Fellahs, as is the case with other matters - regarding MPG's, there is definitely shrinkage when it is cold outside... I've got 5 cold-weather fill-ups where actual mpg is sub-30. My other "under-performing" 3 tank-fills were due to pulling a U-Haul (highway) where I achieved 23-27 mpg. Removing the U-Haul tank outliers but "keeping" the cold-weather (Indianapolis winter) tanks, my 12 mo/20k actual performance is 32.7 mpg, giving me an operating cost of 6.04 cents per mile. Woot Woot!!

·
Registered
27 Posts
The cold weather isn't a shock. Air resistance is higher so highway miles suffer and the car takes longer to warm up. On top of that the battery part of the hybrid probably doesn't perform as well.

Still the whole system is kind of amazing. First hybrid for me.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Similar experience here, but I have 2 Rav4's -- a 2011 that gets about 19 mpg in winter, and my Hybrid that is still getting 28, so I'm fine with the winter decrease..

·
Registered
846 Posts
I recently got the worst mileage for me as well. I think the warm summer weather spoiled us into thinking we could keep averaging this kind of MPGs.:laugh Overall, I am very pleased with the RAV4 Hybrid though and unless they come up with something better, I plan on sticking with this model for years to come:D
The Koreans will with their electric SUV offerings in 2018/19 but I think we'll keep the RAV4H, get a Tesla Model 3 (if Toyota or Honda doesn't come up with a competitive sedan offering with AWD announced by 2019 year-end) and junk my 02 Civic instead since it doesn't even have ABS.

Can't believe the RAV4H beats the 11 Accord (2.4L) and 02 Civic's (1.7L) mileage so easily outside winter but probably by not much when super cold and with super short distances (below 5 miles).

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Just made a two day trip from Indiana to Florida. Temps ranged from single digits when we left to 55 when we arrived. All of the first day (660 miles) was under 32F. Total distance 1210 miles. Calculated mpg was 31.4 and the trip computer said 33.1 (5.5% optimistic). Almost all freeway driving at 2 mpg above posted speed limit, i.e., either 67 or 72 mph.

·
Registered
13 Posts
36.5 mpg, last fill up, 155 miles/mixed. I tend to get 3 mpg better than the wife, since she has NOT a clue how to drive a hybrid, lol.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
So were in Florida now with pretty decent temps (it was 80 today). All city driving so far with a lot of 30-40 mph with relatively little traffic. Lots of EV miles. The trip computer shows about 41 mpg for the first 100 miles of this tank! Haven't seen anything close to that back home. You gotta love a hybrid.

·
Registered
37 Posts
36.5 mpg, last fill up, 155 miles/mixed. I tend to get 3 mpg better than the wife, since she has NOT a clue how to drive a hybrid, lol.
How do you drive a hybrid? :thoughtful:

I think that mpg difference probably it's for taking good turns by following the apex, cruising better and other factors :nerd

·
Registered
28 Posts
That is an awesome tank! What is your normal average? My son did a couple trips to the airport to drop off and pickup my wife and got 42 and 44 (about a 70 min drive). I asked how he did that on the highway and all he did was set the cruise at the speed limit. I'm usually in the low 30s on the highway.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Here's some winter temperatures, winter mix gas, some hills, half highway half backroads, some stop & go traffic. :D

My "after reset" screen show an average MPG bar, the average MPG number, and elapsed time. How did you get the screen you got showing average MPH?

·
Registered
386 Posts
My "after reset" screen show an average MPG bar, the average MPG number, and elapsed time. How did you get the screen you got showing average MPH?
That's the "since start" screen. Should be one or two clicks above the "after reset" screen.

You can easily figure out average speed on the "after reset" screen too if you divide the run time by miles traveled. I write down the run time when filling up, so I know what the average speed was per tank.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts