Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
890 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm at about 2800 miles and I get 22.2 mpg. That's the highest number for my regular driving (local/freeway combined miles). Hope it gets better. I don't change my driving habbit at all. The freeway cruising speed is about 70, 75, 80 mph constantly.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,420 Posts
Good. But is that 22.mpg average over 2800 miles or just the last time you checked upon one fill up?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
132 Posts
I got 30mpg on my first tank with the RAV4 I just bought. Trip computer had around 392 miles, so I filled up about 13.02 gallons. about 300 of those miles were highway.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
890 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It was my last fill up. Usually I get 21.7 mpg.
 
S

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
my last tank was 21mpg and I have the I4. Hardly any highway miles alot of warm up and tons of 5 minute trips.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
149 Posts
Ugh, second tank today, calculated numbers, came out to 17mpg again. This is mixed suburban driving, i'd expect 19-22 at least!! What is going on!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
55 Posts
I'm quite happy with my results. My average is 23 city, 26 highway. Not bad for this wonder V6. Of course, this is in flat-land Florida.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
43 Posts
Not sure the year you have but if yours is like mine (07 Base, 4speed auto) then you will hover around 24-25 max...I have never gotten the advertised range since I bought it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
364 Posts
ScanGaugeII, a forum sponsor, makes and excellent instrument which will display, among other things, momentary mpg.

Whether it will pay for itself is another story but think it worth having for its overall utility. I've managed to get 27~28 mpg on 500 mile trips without too much effort.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
149 Posts
Most of my driving is short 10-15 minute trips from 5-15 miles. Do otheres who drive say 20 min. to work every day get similar mileage to me or better? I keep getting 17, it has been cold but recently its warmed up a bit.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
388 Posts
16 miles round trip to work, includes steep hills:

40 degrees: 24MPG not using brakes, 22 normally

0 degrees: 20MPG

-20 degrees: 18MPG

-40 degrees: 16MPG

All in a week, same tank of gas. warm up about 30 seconds at -20 and 60 seconds at -40 degrees
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
149 Posts
andrewcj said:
16 miles round trip to work, includes steep hills:

40 degrees: 24MPG not using brakes, 22 normally

0 degrees: 20MPG

-20 degrees: 18MPG

-40 degrees: 16MPG

All in a week, same tank of gas. warm up about 30 seconds at -20 and 60 seconds at -40 degrees
Is your car i4 or v6? AWD?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
388 Posts
I4 AWD.

Forgot to mention. Commute is between 40-60MPH with no stop lights. I can easily get 12MPG on short trips in town when it's cold, and 30MPG+ on the highway at 50MPH. There are lots of variables.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
149 Posts
andrewcj said:
I4 AWD.

Forgot to mention. Commute is between 40-60MPH with no stop lights. I can easily get 12MPG on short trips in town when it's cold, and 30MPG+ on the highway at 50MPH. There are lots of variables.
My commute is the exact same distance as you (round trip 16 miles), no steep hills, BUT i do hit about 4 traffic lights one way. Temps around 40, v6 engine, awd, 17mpg sound right? Can i expect improvement on these 8mile trips when the weather warms up?
Right now, on a 16 gallon tank i'm refueling every 10 days, if i stretch it out to 2 weeks i hit empty and the indicator light goes on.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
388 Posts
fistacuff said:
andrewcj said:
I4 AWD.

Forgot to mention. Commute is between 40-60MPH with no stop lights. I can easily get 12MPG on short trips in town when it's cold, and 30MPG+ on the highway at 50MPH. There are lots of variables.
My commute is the exact same distance as you (round trip 16 miles), no steep hills, BUT i do hit about 4 traffic lights one way. Temps around 40, v6 engine, awd, 17mpg sound right? Can i expect improvement on these 8mile trips when the weather warms up?
Right now, on a 16 gallon tank i'm refueling every 10 days, if i stretch it out to 2 weeks i hit empty and the indicator light goes on.
Seems a little low, but these shorter trips do seem to be killer on mileage. So do those stop lights. Try minimally breaking for a week (be safe of course) - coast into this stop lights, and I bet you'll see an improvement. That seems to help more than laying off the gas. Even accelerating fast, that energy goes to moving you forward. But whenever you break, you're throwing it away.

Then again, 13 gallons in two weeks isn't too bad.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,283 Posts
Just filled up, 18.4 mpg, all in town...probably reflects the hour I spent in stop-and-go after a major accident shut down the highway. Also my short 8 mile commute doesn't help...
 
R

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
We've logged 12,461 miles in our 07 V6 Limited 4WD between 3/30/07 and 3/09/08.
Total fuel used: 553.378 gallons
Total fuel cost: $1,802.36
Cumulative cost per mile (fuel): $0.145
Cumulative miles-per-gallon: 22.52
Gas price at last fill-up (87 octane regular): $3.659

Highest recorded mileage was 29 during one stage of a trip from Santa Rosa to Los Angeles, on the long, straight level stretch of Interstate 5 down the central valley between Tracy and Buttonwillow. The car only had about 2,000 miles on the odometer at the time.

Going back and forth between Santa Rosa and Eugene, Oregon Interstate 5 climbs and dives through the mountains. On that type of route the Rav gets about 26mpg at the posted 65 mph limit (70 on the flat straight sections). Same on the coast route (US101)...fewer changes in elevation but more curves and 55-65 mph limits.

Worst mileage recorded so far: 18 MPG on a tankfull when the car was driven exclusively on short trips around town...no rural highway, expressway or freeway trips on that tank.
 
M

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
14 mile round trip to work, 6 stops all together (lights/stop signs), hilly terrain. Average speed comes to about 24mph (total distance/total time). My mileage is routinely between 20 and 21 mpg. The car is V6 AWD with only 1.5k miles on it. I'm satisifed.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
149 Posts
Mr.Bob said:
14 mile round trip to work, 6 stops all together (lights/stop signs), hilly terrain. Average speed comes to about 24mph (total distance/total time). My mileage is routinely between 20 and 21 mpg. The car is V6 AWD with only 1.5k miles on it. I'm satisifed.
Thats what i SHOULD be getting. Is your mileage winter weather or warm? Did your car start out with 20mpg or did it progressively improve?
 
1 - 20 of 33 Posts
Top