Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am trying to decide between two options for new tires:

Yokohama YK-HTX
225 /65 R17 102H SL BSW

Uniroyal Tiger Paws Touring DT
225 /65 R17 102T SL BSW

Yokohamas came with my RAV4 but have not lasted long (car is almost at 33k miles) - I don't know what condition these tires were when they were put on my vehicle. Hard to believe they'd wear that fast with all the good things I've heard about the Yokohama brand. Discount Tires offers these for about $677 out the door

The Uniroyal are offered by a place that's more convenient but I know nothing about the brand nor that tire. Some have said go cheap (while not giving up quality) with tires since they are expendable. These were priced for about $600 out the door.

Not sure what to do - leaning towards getting what I know/already have - but tempted to go cheaper and for convenience of shop.

I realize there are other tires threads - I have looked at them, but none have answered my dilemma. Appreciate any suggestions or insights you can give!

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
Please avoid the Uniroyal Tiger Paws. My 09 RAV came with those it was the worst tire ever. Harsh ride, noisy, poor wet or snow traction. The car sat on the dealer lot for 6 months when RAVs were selling like hotcakes around here, and I think those tires really dissuaded buyers. The only good thing was they wore out quickly (like 25k miles) so I could get rid of them.

I replaced them with Continental Ecoplus tires and they were a big improvement, but I think there are better choices than that. For economy, next tire I choose would be the General Altimax RT43. For top dollar best all around tire, I may go with Michelin Premier LTX or Defender.

Don't have any knowledge of the Yokomata. Is that actually Yokohama? My friend had poor luck with the Yoko Avid Ascend on her RAV. It was a decent ride, but had quality issues requiring a replacement set at her expense, and the second set was completely worn at 35k miles.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks RAVN4RED. That says a lot - I had read some reviews about the noise and bumps for the Uniroyals. Good to know! Yes, it is Yokohama - good catch! Always good to hear what other tire brands work best incase there is a better option than the Yokohamas.

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
I am trying to decide between two options for new tires:

Yokohama YK-HTX
225 /65 R17 102H SL BSW

Uniroyal Tiger Paws Touring DT
225 /65 R17 102T SL BSW

Yokohamas came with my RAV4 but have not lasted long (car is almost at 33k miles) - I don't know what condition these tires were when they were put on my vehicle. Hard to believe they'd wear that fast with all the good things I've heard about the Yokohama brand. Discount Tires offers these for about $677 out the door

The Uniroyal are offered by a place that's more convenient but I know nothing about the brand nor that tire. Some have said go cheap (while not giving up quality) with tires since they are expendable. These were priced for about $600 out the door.

Not sure what to do - leaning towards getting what I know/already have - but tempted to go cheaper and for convenience of shop.

I realize there are other tires threads - I have looked at them, but none have answered my dilemma. Appreciate any suggestions or insights you can give!
The General Altimax RT43 are very popular with people who have Rav4. Walmart has them for 100.00 each

https://www.walmart.com/ip/General-Altimax-RT43-Tire-225-65R17SL-102H-102H/36748643

·
Registered
419 Posts
Never owned Uniroyals, but they have been considered the junk brand (for decades).

For spring/summer/fall - I use Firestone Destination Le2...great tire at a decent price point.
For winter months - Cooper Arctic Claw will be my next purchase.

·
Super Moderator
11,100 Posts
Both of our cars came new with Yokohama tires and they were just awful. Had I been able to afford it they would have been removed immediately. We recently got new Pirelli tires and the improvement is significant on all fronts.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I got rid of my Uniroyal tires and replaced them with the new Yokohama Geolanders All Terrain and love them so far - better ride and winter traction with no highway noise.

·
Registered
570 Posts
I had Yokohama Prada-Spec X for ~6 years and got ~58.5k miles out of them. I didn't have any complaints about them, but the ride did seemed more comfortable compared to the Bridgestone H/L 422 that are on now.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Tirerack.com has an excellent comparison function and ratings system. Check them out there plus the Defender and Premier already mentioned. It should be pretty informative.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts