Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had an old buddy came over to check on my rav4 last weekend. He asked why it doesn't has that new car scent inside the car?

I just want to say thank you to Toyota, cause they make car which doesn't have that much smell. As I would always have headache when I smell the "scent" for a period of time.

TSQ

·
Registered
4,560 Posts
The new car smell is actually toxic fumes evaporating from the newly created material used in cars. Toyota is one of the first major automakers trying to eliminate the use of those toxic chemicals which then results in the less than new car smell.

J

·
0 Posts
Hrmm, mine smells new. Not like a "lets get high" kind of smell, but a "new" smell none the less.

:D

·
Registered
422 Posts
Good to know that Toyota has apparently done something to cut back on that smell. When Ricky first got his 4Runner, and for quite a few months thereafter, the smell made us SICK. It was stronger than any vehicle I've ever owned or been in. He parked it in the garage with the windows all the way down for a couple of months (had to stop when warmer weather hit due to spiders etc.) but even after that it was bad for a while.

My 4.2 Rav didn't make us sick (good thing since it was well over a 12 hour drive back home!) but it had been at the dealer's for a while. Ricky's Runner was essentially straight off the boat.

Becky

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
Some of you are lucky that you get to have a new car smell. All of my vehicles that I have ever owned (besides my wife's new Camry) were used. By the time I got to own any of my cars, they did not have any smell to them. Well... that may be a good thing. :lol: At least the previous owners did not have offensive B.O. or anything. :lol: Reminds me of that one episode of Seinfeld. :shock:

D

·
0 Posts
That smell kept me in a hallucinogenic state and is the reason I kept buying GM's for so many years!

:shock:

C

·
0 Posts
I like that smell and mine had it but, since I smoke it is starting to finally wear off.

M

·
0 Posts
Mine has it but not as strong as previous cars I've owned. Toyota said they were "cutting down" on these fumes not totally getting rid of them, so there will still be some smell.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts