Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

Do you have a 'fill' problem?

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 187 Posts

·
Registered
690 Posts
I sure would like to know if any hybrids use the p/n 770010R090 tank, vs. the p/n 770010R100 tank I have. And if they do, do they have the same issue. :)

·
Registered
33 Posts
I voted yes. When the gas gauge indicates I have a bit less than 1/2 a tank less, I fill it up. I can get 6 gallons into the tank, but I should be able to put in closer to 7. So, is it not filling up all the way, or is the gas gauge being to conservative? I don't know. I want accuracy.

·
Registered
154 Posts
I voted yes. When the gas gauge indicates I have a bit less than 1/2 a tank less, I fill it up. I can get 6 gallons into the tank, but I should be able to put in closer to 7. So, is it not filling up all the way, or is the gas gauge being to conservative? I don't know. I want accuracy.
From everything I've been reading, this is a gas-gauge issue: the gauge is not properly assessing how much fuel is in the tank. This should be a fairly easy fix by Toyota.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Page 1 post in original thread.

D.O.B. July 17, 2019; Nagakusa Plant, Toyota Industries Corp.

Purchased August, North West Region, Port Processed @ Portland, OR, Terminal 4

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
"You can please all the people some of the time, and some of the people all the time, but you can't please all the people all the time . . . "

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Stopped at the Dealership this afternoon and had the service tech go along with me to the Gas Station. I had him fill the tank for me (my credit card.) I had driven 24 miles PAST dte zero. He was able to put 10.5 gallons in the tank. The gauge read 1 tick below FULL mark. He agreed that I had a problem. Without side stepping the issue he went to the computer and came up with a Tech-Tip and printed it for me.
So I do hold hope that there is an end in sight to this issue.

·
Registered
5 Posts
From everything I've been reading, this is a gas-gauge issue: the gauge is not properly assessing how much fuel is in the tank. This should be a fairly easy fix by Toyota.
[/QUOTE

I'm not a mechanic, but I have been driving and pumping my own gas for a while now. I have never had a problem like this. It doesn't seem to be a gas-gauge issue for me, at least, not the problem I am having. I'm not trying to be snitty here. 2 days ago I waited for my gas light to come on, and drove it down to about 18 miles to empty. I did not drive it past 'empty' (too chicken to do that, but I am seriously considering it). I got 9 gallons in before it clicked off. I had to barely squeeze the nozzle for the rest of the fill up. I fill up until I literally do not see the gas go down into the tank anymore. It takes a really long time because one squeeze is getting me .05 gallons or so at a time. I was able to put 13.5 gallons total in. My gauge read above F, so the gauge is ok. My DTE was 496. I always journal my fill ups with how many gallons and how miles on a tank. This time I added DTE before fill up and DTE after it was full. I'm sure if I stopped pumping gas after the nozzle clicked off the first time, the gauge would read below F. As I have already posted, I called Toyota Corporate and got a case number. Two coworkers have the same vehicle, and both experience the same problem. I encouraged them to also call Toyota Corporate.

·
Registered
290 Posts
I would love to have you explain how a fuel gauge in the instrument cluster can cause gasoline to 'regurgitate' up the filler pipe and trigger the fuel pump nozzle auto-shut-off.

Every single symptom and behavior I have experienced, 24 fueling events, is easily explained by a bladder that stiffens in cold weather and relaxes and becomes pliable in warm ambient temperatures.

A fuel gauge does nothing to explain gasoline backing up the filler tube to within inches of the orifice, allowing the fuel nozzle to be withdrawn and the observer to watch as the fuel slowly disappears down the filler pipe into the tank with the associated gurgling noises emanating from the system components.

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
FWIW the tech that filled my tank said it had a 'saddle type bladder tank.'
I'm still not sure myself. I will state that when I did run my Rav completely out of fuel and the temp was 41 degrees, it took 14.25 gallons. So, I just don't know . . .

·
Registered
81 Posts
does clicking off at 3/4 tank and slow filling constitute a problem even though I can get a full tank?? The final amount is a bubbling, gurgling trickle. To me I always feel that the bubbles make the nozzle shut off as a safety for filling which made me think the shape of the filler was wrong creating all the bubbles...but I am not an engineer and its just what I thought was the issue

1 - 20 of 187 Posts