Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
986 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Keep in mind it's about -2 F outside where I live right now, with a wind chill of -20 F.

So at about 10 tonight I decided to take a run to the mini mart down the street to pick up some milk, beer, junkfood, etc. and maybe a burrito. I decided to go to the store a few miles down the road instead of the one at the end of my street, so my Rav will have a chance to warm up on the way over and back. I don't like to take my Rav for short trips when it's cold out because it doesn't get the chance to properly warm up. So I went on my way...

The heat barely had a chance to get warm before I pulled in the parking lot, but the temp gauge made it up to normal temp. Since I am freezing my butt off, I left the Rav idling outside with the heat going and went into the store. I come out a couple minutes later to find the temp gauge almost down to cold, and the fan blowing cool air. It's so cold outside that just the act of running the heat while idling is enough to cool down the engine. Of course once I take off out of the parking lot the engine warms back up.

O

·
0 Posts
LOL you wouldn't have that problem over here!. If you left your car running when you went in to a store, by the time you came out it would be gone :x

M

·
0 Posts
I know what you meen Jeff. The last few weeks here have really sucked with the coldest being -38 C over night and getting a day time high of -28 with the wind -40 somthin. When its that cold i was just happy the rav acually started. The only things ive noticed is when reversing out of drive way, releasing the clutch about 3/4 of the way and keeping foot on gas just so the engine doesnt stahl. After that the rav rides and feels like if you can imagine a flinstonte car. The tires ride like rocks and the supension is mia being so stiff. Im sure glad those days are over now.

·
Registered
986 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah my Rav acts like that on really cold mornings; all the fluids turn to pudding and the engine feels so lethargic until it warms up all the way. I usually let it warm up for 10 minutes outside my apartment before I leave on cold mornings.

Funny thing is, on mornings when the temp is below about 20 degrees, I get this grinding noise right when I start up the engine. I put in the key, crank the starter, and right after the engine starts I get a grinding noise for a second or two. I think it's because the starter clutch has a hard time disengaging from the flywheel once the engine starts up because it's so cold out.

Never had a problem starting in the cold, the battery feels a little weak (which is to be expected) but I turn the key, the engine cranks a couple times, and fires right up, just like in the summer. It's at times like these that I'm glad I have FI instead of a carb.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts