Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
O

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So It is pretty obvious now after 2 weeks or so of roaming these forums that the RAV4 forum is not a very happening place. So I am starting a poll. Please provide your reason why you think that is the case. And provide information about what the most important aspect of making your car better is, ie: Performance, ride quality, looks, sound, maintenance, etc. I think once we find out what everyone is most interested in we will be able to focus our posts more on what is important to each kind of rav4 owner. I tried to add a poll but It does not seems to work

·
Registered
771 Posts
Keepin' it runin' and having fun with it whenever and where ever I can.

You have to add "option" every time when you do the poll thing. For example Type "yes" then click add option then type "no" then click add option then type "maybe" then click add option and so on, and so on, and so on, ....... get the picture?

Its a little confusing at first but just mess with it and you'll get there. You now can click "edit" on top of your current post and then you can go back and add a poll to it still. Just try it. Have fun.

I mostly keep mine stock with the exception of adding a CAI, DIMyself thing to it to get more cool air to burn. Optional wheels, maybe a DVD later if I don't buy a Highlander first.

Later. M.

O

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
so here in lies the problem....

33 people view the message and only 1 replies??....lame!

·
Registered
214 Posts
ozzy1975 said:
Please provide your reason why you think that is the case.
(this is actually my second response, but I didn't like the first, so I deleted it)

I'm usually a passive participant, meaning I don't start the thread (unless I have something specific to say).

For the past two days every time I've logged in the "new messages" check has reported almost 100% 4.3 threads, and since I have a purely negative opinion of the 4.3, certain people have no interest in hearing what I have to say on the subject, so I simply haven't said anything.

I bought my 4.2 when I needed to get out of a lease situation with my 2003 Honda Accord. I bought it because it had loads of character, was sporty, could carry a few boxes, was loads of fun to drive, and still gets decent mileage.

My original plan, since Toyota are still acting stupid, was to put in one of the OEMValue.com Navigation systems (from the Camry) but right now, I just can't justify dropping $2000 or so in the RAV4. In truth, there are a couple of things that have come to truly annoy me, such as the lack of a Nav system and the high top gear which makes it less than pleasurable to drive on my 7 hour trips to New Orleans.

Though despite those shortcomings, I love my 2005 S, had I known that Toyota was going to (IMNSHO opinion) rip the heart out of the Highlander and rebadge it as a RAV4 for 2006, I might not even have bought one.

O

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
yeah...the gearing is a bit of an issue. I am glad I only drive about 5 miles each way to work but in a longer trip I would go nuts. Which leads me to why I want to get a better radio and sound proofing. I have not driven my car enough to 'fall in love with it' the way I did with my 1996 altima. I still a getting readjusted to driving the 5 speed again. I almost bought a Mazda 6 wagon at one point and besides the horrible looking center dash area I think that was my car. I think I also like the Protege 5. After only 200 miles in my Rav4 I think I have to give it a shot for at least one year I will be using the cargo room in it this spring and summer to do some home projects, we'll see where we take it from there. As far as my mod, besides the stereo upgrade i would really love to get some H&R springs on in and some GR2 struts/shocks. I think it would increase the ride performance tremendously.

N

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I don't think I would have bought the RAV myself, but it's what the Boss wanted so that's what she got (what else is new). I was looking at the sporty models, but she wanted the high up SUV 4x4 ride with good gas economy. It came down to the Honda CRV or Toyota RAV4 and the RAV4 was both our choices hands down.

·
Registered
24 Posts
why I bought

Well, my reasons came down to a couple of things. My 1993 Honda Prelude is pretty low to the ground, and as we get older it is getting more and more difficult to get in and out, a friend from California and I call it the "uugh factor" as that is the sound you have to make when you get in or out.

The main reason I chose the RAV was to get a vehicle that my mother can get in and out of. She is 84 with arthritis and needs to be able to pull up to get in, and drop down to get out, not the other way around. I've hated monster SUVs forever (still do) but the RAV is a reasonable enough compromise, big enough to carry four people reasonably well. The gas mileage is still quite a shock compared to the Prelude.

My biggest complaint about the RAV is from a driver standpoint, I am 6 foot tall, but I cannot seem to be comfortable on a long trip. The pedals are too close, even with the seat adjusted as far back as it can be. I don't seem to get good contact with the brake pedal, just on the corner, which puts my leg in a bind.

The other complaint would be the Sport interior fabric, light gray, and spots with every single rain drop when you open the door. It does not seem to have been Scothgarded before delivery. Now that, in my mind, should have been a given, not an option.

I love the way the RAV handles, for its size, the fuel economy is decent, I was hoping for a hybrid version, as I really do not need to take the RAV on road trips, I still have the Prelude for that.

Best
Ken

O

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Noodlerooney....

You are in coventry RI? I drove by there a few times and I am a huge fan of the post office cafe restaurant there on main street. Couple of the best meals I've had were there, great service too. I have been meaning to go back there but probably not until the spring.

N

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Re: Noodlerooney....

ozzy1975 said:
You are in coventry RI? I drove by there a few times and I am a huge fan of the post office cafe restaurant there on main street. Couple of the best meals I've had were there, great service too. I have been meaning to go back there but probably not until the spring.
Yes, The Post Office Cafe in East Greenwich, RI, great place to eat, been there many times myself, highly recommend it.

·
Registered
132 Posts
ozzy1975 said:
....Please provide your reason why you think that is the case. And provide information about what the most important aspect of making your car better is, ie: Performance, ride quality, looks, sound, maintenance, etc. I think once we find out what everyone is most interested in we will be able to focus our posts more on what is important to each kind of RAV4 owner. I tried to add a poll but It does not seems to work
Not sure what the "most" important aspect is, it's more of a combination things.

Used to own a Jeep Gr. Cherokee... Was looking for a vehicle with:

- 4WD - Can get lots of snow here; but didn't want another "rear-wheel" default drive - Had a bad spin-out with the Jeep

- High seating position (compared to cars) - Lots (& lots) of deer here, so I'd feel less safe if I were in a low-seated vehicle..

- Decent fuel consumption - Have to travel about 70 miles per day to & from work; we all know what a gas guzzler the Jeep is

- Smooth handling - Chose the RAV4 over the CR-V, because I thought it looked a little sportier, was more responsive, smooth & just a lot more fun to drive

- Reliable quality - Except for the annoying dash rattle, no problems

- Value retention - Can you magine why anyone would ever think of buying a brand-new domestic vehicle? - when you can get one (domestic) in excellent condition that's less than a year old, with warranty for thousands less....

- Maintenance - For a do-it-yourself person like me, it is so much simpler to change the oil, spark plugs & other DIY stuff on a Toyota than on a Domestic vehicle..

O

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
value retention

I think I got lucky and found a decent RAV4 2WD, 2001 5 speed with 85k miles for $8,800. I think I would be able to trade it in for more than that if I wanted another car from a dealership. Car has all the maintenance history and seems to be in great shape they only item that I am not sure how to evaluate is what kind of life is left for the clutch. I know most of the miles wre HWY since I live in Boston and it is a small city I think the woman commuted to UCONN at some point for a while. I am thinking of gettting TOYO M401 tires for the car since the Dunlop grandtreks on there now are horrific in the snow, and my guess would be on wet roads as well. I really would like to lower the car as I think the slightly lower center of gravity would increase the handling and perhaps even tighten up the steering response as in my opinion the steering is a tad on the light side.

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
We hired one in cyprus and knew then we had to have one, soon as we got home it was off down to the dealers and the cry was heard, we will have one...

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
We never even thought of the RAV4, let alone hear of it. I know, it sounds like we live in a cave or something, but we are not really car buffs. We don't really pay attention to the new models unless we need a new car/truck. My daughter wanted a new car so we started looking. She liked the looks of the RAV4 so we looked into it. Wow, what a neat car. It has plenty of room wherever you sit. Lots of storage and cargo space. But more importantly, Toyota quality and reliability. It's kinda like a small car feel with a larger car around you. Or is it the other way around. I can't put my finger on it. But we really like it. We think it is a good value for the dollar.

My daughter can't wait to get it back from the body shop. She had it a week and a :x !* :evil: broadsided her. It should be back in action the second week in March. Hopefully it will be as good as new (oh well, wishfull thinking).

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I'm not sure as to what aspects of the RAV4 are more important, but I can tell you that a lot has to do with its car/Mini-SUV characteristics.

Last December I was offered a deal that I couldn't refuse. As I was in NY enjoying the holidays and seeking the snow with no luck, my friend who had recently purchase a new Mazda 6 sold me his 1996 3dr 4WD RAV4 for only 1,500. After taking the car for a spin on and off road, I was convince that this new toy to become was going to fit my hobbies needs.

*The car handles pretty well for its size, but a suspension spring upgrade would improve handling a lot

*Fuel economy is pretty decent, but it could be a lot better. I blame this on the intake Toyota installed on the car. I have been seeking for an upgrade but no luck yet. I asked around at a couple of Advance Auto Parts, but they say that no cold air intakes are made for 1996 RAV4. I know that this is untrue, for I have seen images of 4.1 RAV4 with cold air intakes installed.

*Maintenance is pretty good. Nothing that a do it yourself cant handle.

One thing that annoys me is the fact that the car only comes with one cup holder in the front. [What is this all about?] Are there any upgrades for this?

·
Registered
422 Posts
Wow, great deal on your friend's '96 2-door! I sold my much-beloved '96 2-door in June 2004 for $6,000.

Here's a link to the cupholder mod:

http://rav4world.com/index/cupholder.html

Hopefully you can still find the necessary part. It's a no-brainer to do.

Post an inquiry over in the 4.1 sections (if you haven't already) about the CAI and someone should be able to give you all the info you need.

Becky

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Becky J. said:
Wow, great deal on your friend's '96 2-door! I sold my much-beloved '96 2-door in June 2004 for $6,000.

Here's a link to the cupholder mod:

http://rav4world.com/index/cupholder.html

Hopefully you can still find the necessary part. It's a no-brainer to do.

Post an inquiry over in the 4.1 sections (if you haven't already) about the CAI and someone should be able to give you all the info you need.

Becky

Thanks for replaying to my post. The link found on the cup-holder mod page needs to be updated. The current link takes me to an unavailable page; nevertheless, I ran a search for the part number and I came up with it. [Thanks for the recommendation Becky J.]

I will make sure to post my query over at the 4.1 boards. I really didn't noticed I'd posted this on the 4.2 boards.

·
Registered
214 Posts
SevenFactors said:
I will make sure to post my query over at the 4.1 boards. I really didn't noticed I'd posted this on the 4.2 boards.
Actually, this is one of those threads that doesn't really belong strictly in 4.1, 4.2, or even 4.3, so don't worry about it. Becky has a point though about asking in those forums. They might not be watching posts in the 4.2 forums..

Wayne

·
Registered
875 Posts
the more i drive the rav4, the more i love it. it's a bit hungry for power...okay starving for power and the gas mileage isn't as good as what everyone else has. sometimes i'm down to 17.something miles per gallon! ugh. other times i'm up past 23mpg. weird.

the 4wd is a plus for heading to the tahoe slopes. the handling is amazing. the fact that it can turn into a bed is awesome. the size is perfect and i can park anywhere. the look is great for young and old. the interior is great too. no complaints other than power.

X

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I like its good looks
It’s all in proportion
I find it very comfortable
There’s room for 4 adults and a large dog
It’s a good tow-car
Handles well for SUV
Well equipped
And the diesel is so good on fuel………….40 MPG :!: :D

O

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
still rav4'ing

after 4 months of owning the car I cannot say it is my favorite car ever mechanically. the engine is (come on already and everyone agree on this) underpowered if not by its own self but by the fact that it is paired up with one of the most inefficient gear boxes out there (5 speed manual) the gear ratios are unbearable from 2nd to 1st gear and 4th and 5th are hot high enough to keep the car going at at highway speeds quietly while remaining fuel efficient. pair that with the overly restrictive exhaust system and it can be argued that toyota did not test drive the car during their design phase...the only reason I vent is because if they had put a less restrictive exhaust system, and paired it up with "real" gear ratios they could really have crated a gem that should have gotten 30+ MPG highway EASY, and high 20's city and with power to spare.
I still plan on driving the car for a while as the real positive's of the car are the interior craftmanship, and true UTILITY of the vehicle (removable seats, interior room, ground clearance, reliability, etc)
All in all it is a very decent car that has tons of 'cute' appeal and that compounded with the toyota emblem is the reason why it is so popular. Not knocking the car, but let's face it , it is by no means a feat of engineering by any means..... :shock:

1 - 20 of 33 Posts