Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I am trying to compare Subaru's Eyesight and the new Toyota Safety Sense. I have read that Eyesight can be disabled in certain situations, eg bright sunlight, heavy rain fog etc because it only uses optical camera. My understanding is that Toyota uses both a single camera and laser radar. Has anyone run into a situation where the safety system becomes disabled?

Also, any personal experience with the forward collision system in action? I can't find the information on IIHS but there is a video showing Subaru vehicle stopping before a dummy car travelling up to 25 mph. I guess Toyota Safety Sense is relatively new so it's hard to find the specifics?

Thanks!

·
Registered
6 Posts
All of the Toyota safety features can be disabled by you. One of the best features is the cross traffic sensor. It helps when cars come whizzing by in parking lots. I have been satisfied with the Toyota features.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
All of the Toyota safety features can be disabled by you. One of the best features is the cross traffic sensor. It helps when cars come whizzing by in parking lots. I have been satisfied with the Toyota features.
Thanks.

Has anyone had the pre-collision braking system activated and if so did it work?

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
Of course it works. What it WON'T do is prevent a collision. Its meant to mitigate the damage and injury, it doesn't drive the car for you. The sensitivity can be adjusted by the user, to make it engage sooner or later. There are several stages, starting with beeping, then braking, then HARD braking just before you crash. If you have it set to max sensitivity it will beep at you all the time in heavy traffic.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I understand that it's meant to assist breaking and mitigate potential damage/injury and not necessarily prevent but I think Subaru's Eyesight has been tested to stop from up to 30 mph. I can't find similar data on the Safety Sense.

Of course it works. What it WON'T do is prevent a collision. Its meant to mitigate the damage and injury, it doesn't drive the car for you. The sensitivity can be adjusted by the user, to make it engage sooner or later. There are several stages, starting with beeping, then braking, then HARD braking just before you crash. If you have it set to max sensitivity it will beep at you all the time in heavy traffic.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts