Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
[FONT=&quot]I'm guessing the SUV hit [FONT=&quot]us[/FONT] around 30mph... left no skid marks (except in my drawers.)

The front end got torn up as well. He hit us hard enough to damage two other vehicles[FONT=&quot] in front of us.

[/FONT] It's been in the shop for almost two weeks where the surgeons are still piecing the unibody patient back together.

http://www.rav4world.com/forums/mem...889-broken-road-has-led-me-new-revelation.jpg

I learned a lot about what I want in a car after buying this new in 2013.

For instance, after taking two 200-250lb co-workers to lunch,
the RAV bogged down on moderate hills, yes, even in sport mode. It runs great when I'm
alone and hauling no weight. Is this acceptable? [FONT=&quot]Depends on what's important to you[FONT=&quot], right[FONT=&quot]?[/FONT][/FONT][/FONT]

[/FONT][FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]I've learned the [FONT=&quot]t[/FONT]he RAV doesn't have the [FONT=&quot]torque [/FONT]I prefer and isn't as comfortable as I like[FONT=&quot].
[FONT=&quot]Not to mention all the well documented cabin noises and rattles.
[/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]With [/FONT]the new generation of RAV's, [/FONT]t[/FONT]he days of [FONT=&quot]yesteryear [/FONT]where a Toyota Limited meant something are gone.
[FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]O[/FONT]missions[FONT=&quot] and [/FONT][/FONT][/FONT]cheap parts (a.k.a. bean counter shortcuts[FONT=&quot]) [FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]are standard.[/FONT][/FONT][/FONT]
[/FONT][FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]
[/FONT][/FONT]Since the accident[FONT=&quot], I've [FONT=&quot]had[/FONT] [/FONT]time away from [FONT=&quot]my[/FONT] RAV [FONT=&quot]and discove[FONT=&quot]red this truth[/FONT][/FONT]:

"[FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]You[/FONT] [/FONT]thought this would be the best car for [FONT=&quot]you[/FONT] - but [FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]you[/FONT] now know,[/FONT] it's n[FONT=&quot]ot[/FONT]."
[/FONT][FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]
It's a [/FONT]safe, practical[FONT=&quot], reliable [/FONT]vehicle [FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]for running[/FONT] errands[FONT=&quot] with a [FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]dull[/FONT]ed [/FONT]infotainment system[FONT=&quot]
[FONT=&quot]which ain't so bad I guess.[/FONT]
Then [FONT=&quot]it [/FONT]dawned on me: [FONT=&quot]I [/FONT]bought an appliance[FONT=&quot] with wheels.

[/FONT]
[/FONT][FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]I realized [/FONT][/FONT][/FONT]m[/FONT]y [FONT=&quot]needs[/FONT] have changed[FONT=&quot] [FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]and[/FONT] [/FONT][/FONT]so has Toyota[FONT=&quot].[/FONT][/FONT] [/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][FONT=&quot]

After 3[FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]0[/FONT] years of Toyo[FONT=&quot]tas, [/FONT]t[/FONT]his is [FONT=&quot]our last one.[/FONT]

By year end, I'm switching brands.

After thorough research, there is only one obvious choice for me.

[FONT=&quot]I know, you'll never get the last few minutes back from reading this. ha..[FONT=&quot]. [/FONT][/FONT]Sorry if it wasted your time.

Here's [FONT=&quot]w[/FONT]ishing you a wonderful, serene day[FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]. [FONT=&quot]

·
Registered
9,024 Posts
Sorry that you were involved in an accident, and the person who caused it or their insurance should pay for repairs. Hopefully you weren't injured in the crash. Have you had another vehicle to drive while your RAV is being repaired, and if so, what is it? What are you thinking of replacing your RAV with?

·
Registered
220 Posts
I'm guessing the SUV hit us hard enough to damage two other vehicles in front of us.
Been in the same kind of accident with our 6 months old Lexus IS very long time ago. So I can appreciate what you have on your hands.

Then it dawned on me: I bought an appliance with wheels.
Pretty much how I feel about our 2013 RAV4 too. It's an *OK* car, average all around at best, with better than average reliability. The last part is what sold me on it but I can't help but feel general "meh" sense of it, despite the fact that I did buy it after all.

If not RAV4 then what? Please do share. :) I keep coming back to the same reliability.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Good opportunity to get facelift rear.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Sorry that you were involved in an accident, and the person who caused it or their insurance should pay for repairs. Hopefully you weren't injured in the crash. Have you had another vehicle to drive while your RAV is being repaired, and if so, what is it? What are you thinking of replacing your RAV with?
Thanks and I think my wife and I are ok for today. Tomorrow, who knows?

Having a job that requires hauling equipment, I asked Hertz for a mid-sized SUV and they gave me a Jeep Patriot.
For the record: It's one of the worst handling and accelerating vehicles I've ever experienced.
I have no confidence in it whatsoever. However, I'm certainly thankful to have it right now.

As far as replacing the RAV4, I've found Mazda to be a pretty cool choice.

·
Registered
450 Posts
As far as replacing the RAV4, I've found Mazda to be a pretty cool choice.
In about the same size and price range there's CRV, Rogue, CX5, Forester, RAV4 and US brands. For my requirements I chose the RAV4 hybrid for economy and reliability. If money is no problem, I'd chose the Macan S.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Been in the same kind of accident with our 6 months old Lexus IS very long time ago. So I can appreciate what you have on your hands.

Pretty much how I feel about our 2013 RAV4 too. It's an *OK* car, average all around at best, with better than average reliability. The last part is what sold me on it but I can't help but feel general "meh" sense of it, despite the fact that I did buy it after all.

If not RAV4 then what? Please do share. :) I keep coming back to the same reliability.
Alexandria? I lived right outside D.C. for a couple years and I'm from the area.

"Meh" is exactly it. The RAV4 is reliable but no fun.
It seems to me most car makers are building replaceable appliances. At times, the bigger car makers
don't listen to their customers either.

Have you read about the "droning, vibration" issue on the most recent Lexus RX350 line? Man, would I be pissed.
Go the Lexus forums and read about it.

I strongly suggest you research the most recent Mazda lines.

- They're completely built in Japan, like Toyota used to be before massive outsourcing.

- Super fun to drive. Pseudo-German vibe but more reliable.

-They are updating their SUV's every year (not a complete facelift) with the items
that drivers want. I've been through the forums and researched this
online and with the dealership, this is a fact.

I wish you well on any trips across the Wilson Bridge into Maryland!
Hopefully it's two separate bridges by now.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
In about the same size and price range there's CRV, Rogue, CX5, Forester, RAV4 and US brands. For my requirements I chose the RAV4 hybrid for economy and reliability. If money is no problem, I'd chose the Macan S.

Both the CRV and Rouge have CVT as their transmissions.

My daughters transmission just failed on her 2012 Honda Civic at 76k miles. $3500 later, I'm running
from CVT's. I've talked with two mechanics and the master transmission mechanic that worked on my daughters car.

They all said the same thing, CVT's are problematic.

A Macan would rock if you could afford to own it.

·
Premium Member
8,120 Posts
Both the CRV and Rouge have CVT as their transmissions.

My daughters transmission just failed on her 2012 Honda Civic at 76k miles. $3500 later, I'm running
from CVT's. I've talked with two mechanics and the master transmission mechanic that worked on my daughters car.

They all said the same thing, CVT's are problematic.

The Rav4 Hybrid Synergy drive system has nothing in common with the Honda or other conventional CVT designs, the 3rd Gen Synergy drive is an eCVT, it's basically a power split device that has no belts or chains, it's all gears, Toyota's reliability rating didn't get to the top of the heap excluding hybrids, they're probably one of the biggest reasons why they're there!

http://www.rav4world.com/forums/109...id-ev/218729-cvt-reliability.html#post2042617

·
Registered
9,024 Posts
Consumer Reports now rates the revised Mazda CX-5 at the top of their compact crossover (SUV) category. If buying a mid sized SUV-type vehicle they rate the Kia Sorento and the Toyota Highlander highly as well, and none of the above has a CVT. Mazda promises to have a torque-y diesel CX-5 (310 ft./lb.) out later this year ('17), no CVT either and with 34-36 combined mpg, 40+ mpg highway - I'll believe it if it actually materializes.

Reactions: edfong

·
Registered
419 Posts

I learned a lot about what I want in a car after buying this new in 2013.

For instance, after taking two 200-250lb co-workers to lunch,
the RAV bogged down on moderate hills, yes, even in sport mode. It runs great when I'm
alone and hauling no weight. Is this acceptable? [FONT=&quot]Depends on what's important to you[FONT=&quot], right[FONT=&quot]?[/FONT][/FONT][/FONT]

After thorough research, there is only one obvious choice for me.

Styles - I feel your 4 cyl. RAV4 resentment...a lot of truth, in what you wrote.
Since you figured out a better model or brand...care to share your next vehicle pick ?

We will keep our nice 2008 Limited v6 going / till we replace it with our sons '15 Lexus RX350 v6.
- even a v6 Highlander would be a far better choice, for our family needs
- 4 cyl. with or without Turbo, is not better...I refuse to take that route
- it's just bland & turbo is another area for potential expense...maintaining a used vehicle

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Styles - I feel your 4 cyl. RAV4 resentment...a lot of truth, in what you wrote.
Since you figured out a better model or brand...care to share your next vehicle pick ?

We will keep our nice 2008 Limited v6 going / till we replace it with our sons '15 Lexus RX350 v6.
- even a v6 Highlander would be a far better choice, for our family needs
- 4 cyl. with or without Turbo, is not better...I refuse to take that route
- it's just bland & turbo is another area for potential expense...maintaining a used vehicle
All Japan built Mazda.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Consumer Reports now rates the revised Mazda CX-5 at the top of their compact crossover (SUV) category. If buying a mid sized SUV-type vehicle they rate the Kia Sorento and the Toyota Highlander highly as well, and none of the above has a CVT. Mazda promises to have a torque-y diesel CX-5 (310 ft./lb.) out later this year ('17), no CVT either and with 34-36 combined mpg, 40+ mpg highway - I'll believe it if it actually materializes.
I test drove a 2017 CX-9 and it felt like a home run to me. Again, this is just my 2 cents. This car has many
standard features that other car makers don't give you for the same bucks. Read the Edmunds and C&D reviews:

https://www.edmunds.com/mazda/cx-9/2017/review/
Mazda CX-9 Reviews - Mazda CX-9 Price, Photos, and Specs - Car and Driver

I asked the service manager about any
widespread issues with that design. He said nav freezing up and small
electrical stuff here and there, that's about it. I'm gonna do further research into reliability.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
The Rav4 Hybrid Synergy drive system has nothing in common with the Honda or other conventional CVT designs, the 3rd Gen Synergy drive is an eCVT, it's basically a power split device that has no belts or chains, it's all gears, Toyota's reliability rating didn't get to the top of the heap excluding hybrids, they're probably one of the biggest reasons why they're there!

http://www.rav4world.com/forums/109...id-ev/218729-cvt-reliability.html#post2042617
I totally hear ya and will read about Toyota eCVT.

I'm just the messenger in this case! :)

The 10th degree black belt ninja transmission mechanic said the newer CVT's are not as problematic but still more trouble
than old school standard transmissions. I swear I'm not making this up.

Obviously, it doesn't help my outlook ever since my daughters 76k mile, $3500 Honda Civic CVT debacle; it still smarts! Ha!

·
Registered
210 Posts
Did you cross-shop the CX-5 when you bought your RAV4? Hearing all of the buzz about it back then, it was the first vehicle I test drove when we decided to buy a new vehicle in 2013. After driving pretty much everything else in the segment at the time we liked the RAV the best. Honestly, I don't see a CX-5 or any other 4 cylinder CUV solving your criticisms of the RAV, but to each their own. This sounds more like familiarity breeding contempt than anything else.

I know how you feel, though. Despite liking the RAV the best, we bought a Subaru Impreza at a great price instead as Toyota was not offering any deals on the RAV at the time. A year later we traded it in on a RAV anyhow. Fortunately, the loss was minimal and my wife has really enjoyed her RAV in the time since.

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
I test drove a 2017 CX-9 and it felt like a home run to me. Again, this is just my 2 cents. This car has many
standard features that other car makers don't give you for the same bucks. Read the Edmunds and C&D reviews:

electrical stuff here and there, that's about it. I'm gonna do further research into reliability.
I'd have started hanging out on the Mazda CX boards earlier to do research. I always join auto forums (active on 3 others right now) to see what the peons are going through with their vehicles. I've been on here since 2008 - 2 RAV4's later I can't complain! :wink

Good luck!

·
Registered
12 Posts

Two of my friends own/owned a Mazda3 and a Mazda626.
Both of those cars had engine/transmission problems before hitting 60k miles.
One of them didn't have an extended warranty and had to buy a new transmission out of pocket, at 54k miles...

Not saying these two cars are indicative of the brand as a whole, but it definitely didn't put confidence in my buying a new car from them.

Also, we live on the shore where salt in the air can destroy a car faster than most things. Mazda seems to have notorious issues with rust...

I was still considering the CX5 though, it had top ratings and reviews across multiple sources - especially when compared to the 2017 Rav4...

In the end I bought a 2017 XLE Rav4.
I couldn't be happier with the purchase.

Time will tell, but I'm confident in the reliability of Toyota.

I wish you well! And hopefully you'll report back on the longevity of the CX9 if that's what you end up getting!

They look like beautiful/fun vehicles. I just put too many miles on my cars to risk something catastrophic happening at 60k miles.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Did you cross-shop the CX-5 when you bought your RAV4? Hearing all of the buzz about it back then, it was the first vehicle I test drove when we decided to buy a new vehicle in 2013. After driving pretty much everything else in the segment at the time we liked the RAV the best. Honestly, I don't see a CX-5 or any other 4 cylinder CUV solving your criticisms of the RAV, but to each their own. This sounds more like familiarity breeding contempt than anything else.

I know how you feel, though. Despite liking the RAV the best, we bought a Subaru Impreza at a great price instead as Toyota was not offering any deals on the RAV at the time. A year later we traded it in on a RAV anyhow. Fortunately, the loss was minimal and my wife has really enjoyed her RAV in the time since.
You are right about familiarity breeding contempt. Drove if for less than a year and started to sour on it.

I bought the 2013 redesign RAV4 blindly... I did it because I'd already bought
many Toyotas and loved all of them.

I just got back from a test test drive of the Mazda CX-9 and CX-5 and they're both amazing.
And unlike the last time, I've done a ton of homework on cars.
Learned a lesson there!

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Two of my friends own/owned a Mazda3 and a Mazda626.
Both of those cars had engine/transmission problems before hitting 60k miles.
One of them didn't have an extended warranty and had to buy a new transmission out of pocket, at 54k miles...

Not saying these two cars are indicative of the brand as a whole, but it definitely didn't put confidence in my buying a new car from them.

Also, we live on the shore where salt in the air can destroy a car faster than most things. Mazda seems to have notorious issues with rust...

I was still considering the CX5 though, it had top ratings and reviews across multiple sources - especially when compared to the 2017 Rav4...

In the end I bought a 2017 XLE Rav4.
I couldn't be happier with the purchase.

Time will tell, but I'm confident in the reliability of Toyota.

I wish you well! And hopefully you'll report back on the longevity of the CX9 if that's what you end up getting!

They look like beautiful/fun vehicles. I just put too many miles on my cars to risk something catastrophic happening at 60k miles.
I know exactly where you're coming from on the Toyota reliability. Hard to beat.

I'm curious as to what year those Mazdas were.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts