Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thought it would be easy. The wires from the car vs. camera are different. Also, I wanted my aftermarket pioneer avh-5700bhs rear cam input to work bc that screen is larger, and it kicks on only when the reverse gear is on.

I tapped into my rear cam thick black wire that was running under the scuff plate of the passenger side. This would have actually been easier if there wasn't an already installed backup cam bc all you'd have to do is reverse the black and red wires for power.

OK...

In the thickest black wire, strip it, there are now black, red, white, and one wire with no color.

Car black = camera red
Car red = camera black
Car white = camera yellow (video)
Car no color (exposed) = camera white

Check connection before the electrical tape and panels are finished. But....

I wanted my new pioneer avh-x5700bhs double din head unit to show the rear cam only in reverse gear. The zeronet rearview mirror thing says if you install it correctly, the rear cam will kick in with lines that show distance. I never got that to happen, in any combination of wires.

if the red and black wires are connected to each other instead if reversed, the cam will shut off bc the positive and negative are backwards. Reset the button on the back of Zeronet.

Finally, connecting my head unit to these same wires, I had to run the yellow RCA wire from the back cam input of the pioneer , then splice it into these spliced wires, but did not connect the red wire to the red wire.
When i did connect the red wire to the red wire, I couldn't lock my car doors, and the clock under the head unit was constantly on. I cut off the red wires, and everything worked.

Long Aziz description but it took me like 8 hrs to figure it out so I am passing on my caveman knowledge.

Attachments

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Also, since I was splicing wires from the already installed rear cam to a new cam, and head unit, I had to put 5" new wires to cover the difference , plus you don't want the wires to be too tight. Try to use the same color wires just in case you need to screw with it again and you'll be confused.

Gauge of the Toyota 2010 3.4 car wires are less than 22, so get a nice wire stripper. And use electrical tape of course.

Attachments

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Zeronet camera and head unit installed correctly. Picture in picture is available.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Zeronet installed. Took me 8 hrs lol

Attachments

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Zeronet cam works with front and clear cam, will record if a crash happens, even if parked and car not on, motion sensor options. Original rear view cam that came with car still works w video, pioneer shows backup cam only in reverse gear.

Zeronet cam input is better than the previous rearview cam. Better color even at night. Front Cam input can be timed off at different timescales but still records.

Attachments

1 - 5 of 5 Posts