2GR-FEV6 LSC90K (recall) oil line fails-Dealer won't cover damages - WARNING - Toyota RAV4 Forums
4.3 General Discuss anything RAV4.3 related that doesn't fit in the categories below.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
#1 (permalink) Old 01-10-2012, 06:31 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
(Thread Starter)
2GR-FEV6 LSC90K (recall) oil line fails-Dealer won't cover damages - WARNING

Although there is already a "sticky" on this issue in this forum about the recall, a new and important development has occurred that is very troubling and may ultimately affect many of the 1.6 million vehicles covered by the LSC 90K (recall) which replaces a defective rubber oil line hose with a replacement hose that was supposed to be stronger. Despite the fact that the "campaign" documents essentially extend the "warranty" to March 2013, Arlington Toyota of Palatine Illinois (a Chicago suburb) has refused to cover oil line replacement and engine damage caused when the new rubber recall hose replacement rutptured and the engine essentially ran out of oil

Facts: Owner has a well maintained 2006 Rav4 with a placed in service date of 07/25/06. She takes it in to Arlington Toyota in April 2010 at 31,719 miles for regular oil change service and LSC 90K (recall) hose replacement. According to her receipt, correct parts were replaced pursuant to LSC 90K. The car was taken into Arlington Toyota for service every 5K miles thereafter. Then, on Christmas Eve 2011 at 48,471 miles - just 16,652 miles after the vvt-i recall hose was replaced and only 2,000 miles since her last oil change visit, the replacement oil line ruptured causing the oil to rapidly drain out of the engine so she has it towed to Arlington Toyota.

Arlington Toyota ignores the March 2013 date noted in the LSC 90K documents and tells her "you are only entitled to one oil line replacement .... " and hands her a $700 bill for new oil hose, ancillary damage, and tow. Within 15 minutes of driving it off the lot, the engine starts making loud noises and the owner has it towed back to Arlington Toyota. They tell her essentially "tough luck" and want $1,200 just to inspect the engine for damage .... which is probably going to run into the thousands of dollars. She calls Toyota headquarters and gets no relief. I called and sent an email to their service department director and told him of the many cases where Toyota paid for post warranty repairs relative to this issue and was stunned by his has callous response " the warranty is up and it time for her to take reponsibility and ownership of the vehicle." WOW I told him - had Toyota taken ownership and responsibility for its admittedly defective parts in the first place and replaced the rubber oil lines with the metal ones used in the manufacturing process beginning in April 04/08, this problem never would have occurred in the first place !!!!!

[She had the car towed to an independent shop where the curent plan is to have the car fixed, ask for reimbursement ..... and probably sell the car for fear something like this could happen again. What is particularly ironic and absurd here is that had the owner NOT taken the vehicle in at all for the recall in April 2010 and the origianl oil line failed, she clearly would have been covered by LSC 90K since that document clearly states the "recall" is good through April 2013 and there is no sense of urgency about bringing the car in prior to that date.]

Another LSC 90K Oil Line failure: A similar story is found in the Edmunds.com Camry forum where a 2008 Camry had the recall performed in September 2010 and the replacement oil line blew Thanksgiving day 2011. The dealer paid for the repair but the person that posted the
announcment does not accept private messages so it cannot be confirmed that the car was still within the 60,000 mile limit of the powertrain warranty.

Look at how fast these oil lines ruptured: Just 16,652 miles and 20 months on the Rav4 and 14 months on the Camry. Even the old 2005 Avalon hoses did not go out this fast. Since the new improved rubber oil line is suppose to be reinforced with Kevlar or some other such substance, I didn't figure we'd be hearing about any failed LSC 90K replacement rubber hoses until about 2015! And oh what logic: "Dear Toyota Customer: We are recalling your defective oil line that has already lasted you 30,000 miles with another part that will fail right after your warranty expires ... ya know ...... we just don't want to pay for your new engine !!!"

Warning to anyone with 2GR-FE V6 engines manufactured prior to April 2008 where the recall has been performed: Since the new hose is subject to failure, essentially 1.5 million or so people are driving vehicles that are potentiall "ticking timebombs." If other dealers follow the policy of Arlington Toyota, once your powertrain warranty has expired by either the passage of time or by the mileage limit and it has been more than one year since the LSC 90K oil line replacement was done, then repairs that occur as a result - which can easily run into the thousands of dollars - will not be covered by Toyota.

What you can do if your affected vehicle is approaching or has past the applicable dates of warranty expiration: Go back to your dealer and demand that the dealer either:

(1) replace the "band aid" rubber hose fix called for in the LSC 90K with the same all metal oil line that Toyota/Lexus installed on all 2GR-FE V6 engines manufactured beginning in April 2008 even if you have to pay some reasonable charge. There are many threads in many Toyota & Lexus forums on this. Many people have already used the metal oil line replacement despite an assortment of lame excuses by dealers stating that the metal version either would not fit and/or the all metal line would void their warranty

or

(2) that the dealer put in writing that the LSC 90K replacement hose is guaranteed until at least March 2013 ... or longer.

Question: Has anyone else heard of other cases where the oil line recall repair failed and if so, how was the issue resolved and was a cause determined? Either the dealer(s) did not perform the original service at all, incorrectly performed the service, or Toyota has a bad batch of parts. All possibilities SHOULD have been investigated by the dealer(s) as soon as these oil line failures occurred.

https://sites.google.com/site/toyotav6oillinescandal/

Update as of February 8, 2012: Owner appealed to the President of Arlington Toyota with positive response. Toyota picked up the tab for all repairs which essentially amounted to a new engine. Parts replaced include new short block, cam assembly, gear assembly, & water pump. Arlington is also throwing in some brake work as a goodwill gesture.

Last edited by Paul3637; 02-08-2012 at 10:33 AM. Reason: Update
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 01-10-2012, 06:55 PM
Advanced Member

Well isn't that lovely.

Steve
12 BMW X5d (on order)
11 BMW 335cic
02 Highlander Ltd V6 AWD
07 RAV4 Sport V6 4WD (SOLD!)
99 Nissan Maxima SE 5spd (Sold)
01 Honda Accord EX V6 (rip)
#3 (permalink) Old 01-10-2012, 07:14 PM
avs
Advanced Member

My friend's 07 V6 camry was 20k past his powertrain warranty. The oil line ruptured and since it's out of warranty and the tsb was never address he paid out of his pocket for the repair. He then wrote a nice letter to toyota corporate and got 100% reimbursement from toyota for the repair. YMMV i guess.
#4 (permalink) Old 01-10-2012, 07:17 PM
Advanced Member

There are Toyota dealers and then there are Toyota dealers. My experience with two different ones has been that they are questionable and have either provided incorrect information or have been incompetent. I have two others within striking distance (we live in a somewhat isolated situation I will try before passing general judgment.

What the owner in Paul3637's post apparently has experienced is an expensive unjust absurdity.

Jim
2011 Upgraded Base V6 4WD
2007 Kawasaki Vulcan 900 Classic LT
2002 Craftsman LT1000 V2

Jesus is Lord
#5 (permalink) Old 01-11-2012, 12:20 AM
Your Humble Administrator

Thanked 1,093 Times in 792 Posts
Garage
Paul, you're wasting your time talking to the service manager and sending him e-mails. He probably deleted your email before he finished reading it, IF he read it at all!

The owner needs to write a proper LETTER, and send it USPS mail with return receipt requested to the dealership's OWNER and/or GENERAL MANAGER. Also send a copy to TOYOTA also with return receipt. This will be noticed, fall into the right hands and be passed around to others. Keep the letter short and sweet, to the point, no more than 1 page if you can, and a brief mention of the possible involvement of an attorney won't hurt. We have the notice in writing that the repair should be covered up to March 2013 and lawyers just LOVE it when you have it in writing.

I sure am glad mine came with the metal oil line!

James

2008 Limited V6 2WD "The Silver Bullet"

#6 (permalink) Old 01-11-2012, 04:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JuneBug View Post

I sure am glad mine came with the metal oil line!
Do you have a photo of the new setup?
#7 (permalink) Old 01-11-2012, 12:05 PM
Your Humble Administrator

Thanked 1,093 Times in 792 Posts
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swiss View Post
Do you have a photo of the new setup?
Sure, but it only applies to the V-6 engine:

Old setup with metal/rubber line:

New setup with all metal line:

James

2008 Limited V6 2WD "The Silver Bullet"

#8 (permalink) Old 01-11-2012, 03:33 PM
Advanced Member

This is exactly why i refused that silly rubber recall and installed a steel line myself at a cost of $25 IIRC.

Whoever thought about replacing prone to rupture rubber oil line by another rubber line while Toyota had already a steel line replacement was a total moron, and Toyota's officials agreeing to the idea underscore a complete lack of common sense.

Don't get me started on this, but the whole oil line affair is an example how Toyota is a huge bureaucracy with lack of internal communication on vital engineering issues.
#9 (permalink) Old 01-11-2012, 03:48 PM

Thanks Junebug, that's interesting to see. I will try to set my setup on my I4...

2008 RAV4 2.0 VVT-I 4WD
#10 (permalink) Old 01-14-2012, 05:56 PM

I'm looking at an 07 v6 tomorrow. Where is this "problem" oil line located under the hood? I want to see if it has been replaced or not. I know I can't rely on the dealer to tell me. Thank you. Boo
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page