Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

21 - 25 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
253 Posts
What a terrific thread!
I have a base model, so it doesn't apply to me, but this is excellent information.
Kudos.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Evaporator case access

see the evaporator case removal video ,
I removed my blower assembly from under the passenger side lower dash to get to the servos. I am confused how the upper dash was removed and the damper cleaned up and the plastic gear reinstalled in 2 hrs. Can the upper dash be removed without taking the steering wheel Loose? is there access to the lower part of the evaporator case from the top somehow?

·
Registered
2 Posts
I know this is an old thread, but this just happened to me, and thanks to this thread I was able to fix it in an hour. Pulled the glove box out, and could see the big white gear was loose. Popped off the floor duct piece so I could look in at the damper door and sure enough, it was stuck shut with black goo. I don't think its sealer, but part of the rubber gasket on the bottom of the door that just melted at some point. Maybe a really hot summer day? I cleaned all the sticky stuff off and put the white gear back on ( which took the most time trying to figure out the correct position ). If it happens again, I may just take that black rubber gasket off the bottom of the door. Worse thing that can happen is a little air will sneak out below the door ( closed position ) into the heater ducts when its all supposed to coming out the vents or defrost.

·
Your Humble Administrator
16,486 Posts
This happens to a lot of vehicles. It happened to our '94 Dodge Grand Caravan. The foam they used seems to deteriorate and turn into a tar-like substance. What year is your RAV4, and does the VIN begin with J?

·
Registered
1 Posts
I just reset the white gear back on and cleaned the seal off with Gunk engine cleaner on a rag. I found a 2010 Rav4 at a car dealer and took pics of the gear in the different positions (after being unable to find the right spot the previous day). Pushed the control for defrost and had it on in about 5 minutes. I'll post the position pics, maybe help someone get it back on a little quicker. They set at: pic 1- floor, 2- face, 3- defrost.
FLOOR.JPG FACE.JPG DEFROST.JPG

21 - 25 of 25 Posts