Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

21 - 36 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hi Rishi
Congrats on the purchase, I also have SE which limits the charging speed with 3.3kw onboard charger. one need to buy the premium package in XSE to get the 6.6kw charging capacity in USA. I think in Canada all the trims are getting 6.6kw, please correct if i'm wrong. With 3.3kw per hr its just impractical to use public charging.
I have installed chargepoint home flex, with my Nema 6-50 welding plug in garage. I used it because Maryland has a rebate program on EVSE installation & purchase, plus Potomac Edison also have similar rebate .( i did installation myself) So combining all the rebates the purchase of Chargepoint evse comes equal to $0 for me.
If you ask me why i choose chargepoint vs juicebox, because there are many public chargepoint stations and one App let me program & Schedule my charging.
You are correct all Canadian models come with the 6.6kw charger not sure why us Canadians get that and the us doesn't.

·
Registered
2021 Prime XSE Premium
46 Posts
Although my Prime XSE has 6.6kw charging, since I picked up my vehicle several weeks ago I'm unsure I'll invest in a level 2 charger. Honestly I'm concerned about stale fuel. In three weeks I've burned 1/10 of a tank of gas! Yes I've read the fuel stabilizer comments on this forum. There have been several times when I've had to override my inclination to charge my batteries because I need to burn some of the gas. I totally understand that others may have different driving specs than my 18 mile round trip to work. This of course means a recharge every other night since I've got ~14 hours from the time I get home until I drive to work.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Interesting setup. Good for you. I just checked the rating of the adapter "the big black rectangular box" and it does not say that it can take 240V. I thought it would require some sort of step down of voltage.
Although it doesn’t state it. The charger that comes with the RAV4 Prime is the same as the Prius prime and the same unit worldwide. And can take both 120 and 240 like most phone and laptop chargers. Prius Prime owners have been doing this for years including myself. And old Prius plug in users have been doing this for over a decade now.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Waiting for electrician to install 50 amp circuit for the Primetech Level 2 charger. Want to future-proof for any future all electric vehicles. Currently have a 30 amp circuit to a 16w charger which would charge the car in 5.5 hours or so. But seems the cable failed so have been using the 120v cable, which takes 10 hours. While could get by with it, might as well be ready for an EV to replace my car when lease is up-- so by then would be looking at Mercedes EQ or Tesla. Wife drives Rav4 Prime and she adores it!

·
Registered
352 Posts
Waiting for electrician to install 50 amp circuit for the Primetech Level 2 charger. Want to future-proof for any future all electric vehicles. Currently have a 30 amp circuit to a 16w charger which would charge the car in 5.5 hours or so. But seems the cable failed so have been using the 120v cable, which takes 10 hours. While could get by with it, might as well be ready for an EV to replace my car when lease is up-- so by then would be looking at Mercedes EQ or Tesla. Wife drives Rav4 Prime and she adores it!
If you're going to have two BEVs eventually, wouldn't 100 amps be better?

·
Registered
2021 RAV4 Prime XSE
24 Posts
If you're going to have two BEVs eventually, wouldn't 100 amps be better?
Realistically 50 amps is about all you want to go and share the charger for 2 vehicles. 100 amps is a lot to dedicate even with 200 amp residential service aka your home A/C and a couple fridges would not like two EVs charging at once.

Speaking of 50 amp with 6 gauge wire, I have a lot of electrical experience so I do my installs for all circuits, etc. At my son's we ran 50 ft of 6/3 wire to a 14-50 plug and it was really tough to wrestle the 6 gauge wire that distance (even in an open basement) but he wanted to be future proofed. He has a 2019 Ioniq Electric which can only charge at 32 amps but he got a 40 amp Juice Box. Over 40 amps you need to hardwire which he wanted to avoid.

After the 50 amp circuit, I took it easy on myself and ran a 40 amp with 8/2 wire (to a 14-50 plug). The last 20 ft were in 3/4" conduit in the garage. MUCH easier...Of course, I'm limited to 32 amps of charging on a 40 amp circuit but realistically, with most any full EV in the future I'm charging overnight. National Grid already came and changed my meter to a VTOU unit (Variable Time Of Use) where they give you a super low rate between 11pm and 7am.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Exactly. 100 amps for 2 chargers on 200 amp service is a non starter. Will charge cars separately. Now all i need is for the electrician to show up

·
Registered
2021 RAV4 Prime XSE
24 Posts
Exactly. 100 amps for 2 chargers on 200 amp service is a non starter. Will charge cars separately. Now all i need is for the electrician to show up
About halfway through the 50 amp circuit install I was ready to pay for an electrician to sweat it out on pulling that 6 gauge. Might as well be pushing lead pipe through the joists...

·
Registered
RAV4 HV Limited, Prius Prime Advanced
2,044 Posts
FWIW, the better chargers like JuiceBox allow you to schedule 2 units to charge consecutively. (done with the provided app) Of course you do have to buy 2 units first.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I am a new RAV4 Prime SE owner. I have a 240V 40A NEMA 14-50 installed in the garage and am considering to buy a Level 2 charger.

I am looking for experience/perspective from the RAV4 community on the following:
(1) The SE comes with a 3.3kW onboard charger - In what ways should the 3.3kW part constrain me when evaluating Level 2 chargers? Is there any particular specification that I should look for, in the chargers, to make sure they will be compatible with 3.3kW onboard charger?

(2) Any experiences with using either of the following Level 2 chargers with your RAV4 Prime?
  • Chargepoint Home Flex
  • JuiceBox
If you have used it for XSE with the 6.6kW onboard charger, kindly clarify in your reply.

Thank you in advance for taking time to share your perspective.
You dont need anything but to get a 240/220 cable. Don’t bother with a charger.
This works fine on ours, charges from empty to full in 4.5 hrs.
1617923342645.png

·
Registered
392 Posts
I am a new RAV4 Prime SE owner. I have a 240V 40A NEMA 14-50 installed in the garage and am considering to buy a Level 2 charger.

I am looking for experience/perspective from the RAV4 community on the following:
(1) The SE comes with a 3.3kW onboard charger - In what ways should the 3.3kW part constrain me when evaluating Level 2 chargers? Is there any particular specification that I should look for, in the chargers, to make sure they will be compatible with 3.3kW onboard charger?

(2) Any experiences with using either of the following Level 2 chargers with your RAV4 Prime?
  • Chargepoint Home Flex
  • JuiceBox
If you have used it for XSE with the 6.6kW onboard charger, kindly clarify in your reply.

• Chargepoint Home Flex
  • JuiceBox

Depending on the rules/programs in your state, there are reasons for buying a fancy charger. In Massachusetts, (except the cape), the utility will pay you if they can shut your charger off during peak loading. Only certain chargers are eligible for this. (and overall this seems like a good program. they don't just turn it off and walk away) Some states have rebates etc..

·
Registered
2021 RAV4 Prime XSE
24 Posts
Good points. In NY you get the special VTOU rate (based on sharing your registration for the vehicle) as well as tax incentives for installing a Level 2 charger.

I got the NY $1,700 off the purchase price and will collect the $7,500 Fed rebate in next year's taxes. I can also claim the cost of the Level 2 and 240v circuit supplies on my State 2021 taxes. ($419 for the Grizzl-E and $110 for the wiring, conduit and breaker I bought).

So having the permanent charger will not really cost me much net/net.

I haul the included 120v with me as well as a 25 ft 10 gauge extension cord for trips to the kids and/or cottage (when allowed back in Canada).

·
Registered
12 Posts
Question for those with more charging knowledge. :) We have the most recent Tesla wall charger in our garage for our Model Y. It's on a 60 amp breaker, and regularly charges the Model Y at 48 amps/44mph. Now if I want to borrow that charging cable to charge our Prime SE, can I just get a Lectron 40 Amp Tesla --> J1772 connector? And essentially the car will restrict the electric flow? Or do we need to buy a heavier duty 60 or 80 amp Tesla ----> J1772 connector due to the 48 amp Tesla wall connector? Thanks!

21 - 36 of 36 Posts