Toyota RAV4 Forums banner
121 - 140 of 168 Posts

·
Registered
190 Posts
After seeing your photo of the package I had assumed I would still need some type of clips for the attachment to to bumper. Thanks for the confirmation of that assumption.

I will hunt down what I need tomorrow so I will have everything ready to go when the hardware set arrives.

·
Registered
2019 Rav4 XSE Blizzard Pearl
106 Posts
Hey fam, curious if anyone know if there’s aftermarket skid plate for the rear of the car yet? Have you guys check under the car? Didn’t realize I need a rear skid plate more then the fronts :p

·
Registered
190 Posts
So far in my searches the short answer is NO. You can find them for older model RAV4's but not 2019-202, so I'm hopeful some aftermarket supplier will develop one in the future.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Here are some pictures of my final install with the rivet nuts. The skid is many times more rigid now with the bolts compared to the plastic clips!

Driver side rivet nuts installed with a M6 wrench-driven rivet nut tool I got from McMaster-Carr. I drilled out the existing holes in the frame with a 25/64" drill bit (10mm equivalent) for the m6 rivet nuts. I touched up bare metal with paint of course.

It's nice to have everything installed like it was intended from the factory. Like I mentioned before, the bolts really give the thin skid the rigidity it needs.

The M6 rivet nut tool from McMaster-Carr I used to set the rivet nuts.

·
Registered
190 Posts
My hardware set finally came in today. I picked up the 6 screw clips and the stainless steel bolts/washers needed to complete the project at the hardware store on the way home. Installation of the skid plates was straightforward and only took about 2 hours. The biggest challenge I had was getting the two long bolts on the front plate to align and the threads to engage, but even that was not too bad. It is nice to know I have something other than plastic under the front of the car now.

·
Registered
2020 Toyota RAV4 XSE Hybrid (Blizzard Pearl/Midnight Black Metallic)
129 Posts
Here are some pictures of my final install with the rivet nuts. The skid is many times more rigid now with the bolts compared to the plastic clips!

View attachment 161183
Driver side rivet nuts installed with a M6 wrench-driven rivet nut tool I got from McMaster-Carr. I drilled out the existing holes in the frame with a 25/64" drill bit (10mm equivalent) for the m6 rivet nuts. I touched up bare metal with paint of course.

View attachment 161186

It's nice to have everything installed like it was intended from the factory. Like I mentioned before, the bolts really give the thin skid the rigidity it needs.
Thanks for the post with the final install! Would you please share the M6 bolts and washers used?

·
Registered
98 Posts
Hey fam, curious if anyone know if there’s aftermarket skid plate for the rear of the car yet? Have you guys check under the car? Didn’t realize I need a rear skid plate more then the fronts :p View attachment 160975
Given the difference between hybrid, gas awd, and gas fwdI don’t think a skid plate for the gas tank would come out for the non off-road versions.You’ll need to fabricate your own.

curious, why go with the TRD skids? A very reputable tuner hit me up the other day after he worked on a 2021 TRD. He was shocked how ‘paper thin’ the skids are. They’re not functional. More of a gimmick.A good bump on the front plate and the plastic attachment points on the front fascia would rip off 😬 same goes for the mid plate, it would crush under impact. I run LP mid and RNOFIT front and those puppies are 5mm thick aluminum each vs the 1.5mm TRD. I know most folk don’t go off-roading but even easy trails with ruts could cause the front TRD skid to come in contact with the ground and break the support tabs if there’s not enough ground clearance 🤔

·
Registered
26 Posts
Thanks for the post with the final install! Would you please share the M6 bolts and washers used?
I used m6-1.0 x 25mm SEMS Hex Head Body Bolts with phosphate coating from Fastenal. They had them in stock at my local branch. The PN from Fastenal is: 0162791C for a pack of three. They are class 9.8 bolts which is in between equivalent SAE grade 5 and grade 8 and should be plenty strong enough. The factory bolts appear to be class 8.8.

Given the difference between hybrid, gas awd, and gas fwdI don’t think a skid plate for the gas tank would come out for the non off-road versions.You’ll need to fabricate your own.

curious, why go with the TRD skids? A very reputable tuner hit me up the other day after he worked on a 2021 TRD. He was shocked how ‘paper thin’ the skids are. They’re not functional. More of a gimmick.A good bump on the front plate and the plastic attachment points on the front fascia would rip off 😬 same goes for the mid plate, it would crush under impact. I run LP mid and RNOFIT front and those puppies are 5mm thick aluminum each vs the 1.5mm TRD. I know most folk don’t go off-roading but even easy trails with ruts could cause the front TRD skid to come in contact with the ground and break the support tabs if there’s not enough ground clearance 🤔
Definitely why I got rid of the plastic clips. Without question, the LP skid and others are much more robust and could handle repetitive hard hits while rock crawling. However, for our purposes this Rav4 will be used for the occasional off-beaten path to get to a primitive campsite or riverbank to drop off a canoe. I have a built Jeep TJ Wrangler and JKU Wrangler for dedicated offroad adventures/rock crawling :). While the TRD skids are thin, mounted properly they feel strong enough to handle bottoming out on ruts or deflecting loose rocks (will have to put them to the test). The skids are braced in many areas by the front frame sections when bolted down as intended. The protection is worlds better than the plastic covers, and I like how the TRD skids cover the same area without any gaps.

Is the TRD skid overpriced for what it is? I think so. But coming from the world of Jeeps and endless aftermarket parts, I have grown to appreciate the fit, finish, and longevity from OEM parts where feasible. Not to say the LP skid isn't a quality unit (hard to mess up flat aluminum plate). I don't think the TRD skids are totally useless, but the design is obviously a compromise with MPG and weight reduction in mind. If you plan on pushing the limits of your Rav4 offroad with a lift and bigger tires, then yes one should go with thicker skids like from LP. But for my intended use, the TRD skids are a good balance between on-road and off-road performance combined with the fit and finish of a factory installed part.

My 2 cents on why I went with the TRD plates! Once the skids get some use or if they end up getting ripped off, I will be sure to update this thread! :LOL:

·
Registered
190 Posts

This is a legitimate question. If you compare the prices, the total cost of the aftermarket skid plates are less expensive and they provide a thicker plate for better protection. Since you installed aftermarket skid plates you can speak to the quality, fit and ease of installation of these items.

I bought my TRD so I would have a nice car to drive on highways and around town 90% of the time and that was light duty off road capable with decent tires that 10% of the time I'm off paved roads exploring. I liked that the skid plates are OEM TRD, replace the plastic under the engine area and provided enough protection for the national forest service gravel and dirt roads I encounter reaching camping areas or trailheads.

There are lots of posts where members have tricked out their RAV4's for seemingly serious off road action. I think these look really cool and expect the owners are happy with their numerous modifications. If I was planning on doing any more serious off road driving I would have probably purchased the 4Runner TRD or a Tacoma TRD instead.

·
Registered
2019 Rav4 XSE Blizzard Pearl
106 Posts

Hopefully someone will come out with some rear skids or I might just do a DIY

I went with the TRD cause of the oem flush fitment. I dont plan to take my car off-roading too much or too often, so the oem TRD skid was perfect for me. The thickness is a bit on the thin side compare to LP, I do wish it was a little more on the thicker side. After installing the TRD skid I really dont think its that bad. It'll definitely hold up for me on the things I do. Finger cross

I do feel like adding some extra support tabs to the skid plate tho..your right. Its mainly held on with black plastic clips and only a few screws. Guess I will have to take a look at it and see where I can add some extra support screws or something to it.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Hopefully someone will come out with some rear skids or I might just do a DIY

I went with the TRD cause of the oem flush fitment. I dont plan to take my car off-roading too much or too often, so the oem TRD skid was perfect for me. The thickness is a bit on the thin side compare to LP, I do wish it was a little more on the thicker side. After installing the TRD skid I really dont think its that bad. It'll definitely hold up for me on the things I do. Finger cross

I do feel like adding some extra support tabs to the skid plate tho..your right. Its mainly held on with black plastic clips and only a few screws. Guess I will have to take a look at it and see where I can add some extra support screws or something to it.
The hardware kit noted earlier in this thread, PT93842212AA (Front Skid Plate Hardware Kit), provides threaded inserts that replace the 6 plastic clips and will provide the extra support you are looking for. They are easy to install and are how the factory attached the skid plate on the 2021 TRD.

·
Registered
43 Posts
This is a legitimate question. If you compare the prices, the total cost of the aftermarket skid plates are less expensive and they provide a thicker plate for better protection. Since you installed aftermarket skid plates you can speak to the quality, fit and ease of installation of these items.

I bought my TRD so I would have a nice car to drive on highways and around town 90% of the time and that was light duty off road capable with decent tires that 10% of the time I'm off paved roads exploring. I liked that the skid plates are OEM TRD, replace the plastic under the engine area and provided enough protection for the national forest service gravel and dirt roads I encounter reaching camping areas or trailheads.

There are lots of posts where members have tricked out their RAV4's for seemingly serious off road action. I think these look really cool and expect the owners are happy with their numerous modifications. If I was planning on doing any more serious off road driving I would have probably purchased the 4Runner TRD or a Tacoma TRD instead.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I installed the front and rear skids on my 2020 Rav4 Adventure yesterday. It is nice! However, I'm not comfortable re-using the plastic clips to hold most of the rear skid in place. You can see in Toyota Jeff's YouTube video, the TRD from the factory has bolts holding the skid in place. Any major hit is going to tear off the plastic clips. The plastic clips also do not hold the skid tight up against the frame rails.
View attachment 160576

Does anyone have a part number for the hardware kit for the rear piece (PT938-42211)? I see a hardware kit mentioned previously in this thread for the front piece (PT93842212AA). I called my local dealer about the rear hardware kit and they gave me PN: PT93842211AA, but said they were unable to access/order it and it had been discontinued. Searching online gives me no results either. I wonder how Toyota used bolts in those locations. They either used self tapping bolts or nutserts.

Or just use this and their respective stainless steel screws.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Those options are great alternatives. The metal is thin in that area, so I preferred to use rivet nuts for greater thread engagement.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Tried to order through my Canadian dealer for my TRD and they have a "stop sales code" on those part numbers. They are in stock, but only for putting on new models so far says them.
TOYOTA USA exclusive part. I ordered it from Bellingham Toyota , the two pieces are almost $1000 usd with shipping to Vancouver.

121 - 140 of 168 Posts