Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
451 Posts
Thanks. What all products/tools/methods did you use to de-carbonize engine and clean emissions/intake systems? I'd love to do all that. I'm in slow progress of changing out my vacuum hoses (per @eodgator), and NOW understand why he did that while engine was removed from the vehicle!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Saw someone post this for 4th generation but thought it would be much more interesting for the 1st gen.
Mine is a 98 2-door that has 275K with original engine. I'd like to see what others have logged.
Go!
I just bought a 97 RAV4 $900 with 233,000 on it I'm hoping for a lot more miles

·
Registered
3 Posts
Thanks. What all products/tools/methods did you use to de-carbonize engine and clean emissions/intake systems? I'd love to do all that. I'm in slow progress of changing out my vacuum hoses (per @eodgator), and NOW understand why he did that while engine was removed from the vehicle!
I used carb cleaner and a pick for the EGR. In hindsight if i were to do it again, I would soak the passage that the exhaust gasses go through with some Marvel Mystery Oil overnight. Carbon doesn't stand a chance with a good soaking of MMO. To de-carbon the intake/motor, i just did the squirt bottle trick. I got the engine warmed up and at a idle I would spray water in the intake right before the throttle body. Wait for the engine to idle down and stop spraying. Repeat that several times and it seems to help a little bit right after its done.

·
Registered
23 Posts
In August, I bought a 2000 RAV4 with 122,245 miles on it. Given that I work from home most days, take public transportation into the city, or fly when I need to travel, it's unlikely that I'll have the opportunity to run up the miles. I drive probably 400-500 miles a month on average. Given my strong dislike of new vehicles - cookie-cutter styling, too much distracting technology, and excessive cost - I'm inclined to treat this RAV well and make it the last I vehicle I ever own!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Saw someone post this for 4th generation but thought it would be much more interesting for the 1st gen.
Mine is a 98 2-door that has 275K with original engine. I'd like to see what others have logged.
Go!
Geez! Seeing this makes me happy. I picked up a 98 Two door about 2 months ago and mine has 64K original miles. I'm excited to keep this thing going for a long time!

21 - 27 of 27 Posts