Toyota RAV4 Forums banner
21 - 40 of 48 Posts

· Registered
2021 RAV4 XLE Premium Hybrid
2,245 Posts

· Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
I read many of the reviews of the various brands of trim removal tools. The 1-star comments say that the plastic ones are flimsy and break easily. I prefer to get tools that last longer, in case I need to use them again. Based on their reviews, their descriptions and their metal composition, these two removal tools on Amazon seem to be better:

and:

Jan

· Registered
202 Posts
I have a 2021 R4P XSE PP. I found the Lasfit were way too bright for me on the interior lights. I found a 3000K that were much more to my liking. Brighter than the OEM incandesent but not too bright. I used a Lasfit LED in the cargo area and found it plenty bright enough. I did use Lasfit in all the exterior bulbs that were not LED (back up lights, turn signals and puddle lights). I have had so much fun doing some mods that have made my R4P feel more finished. Here's the list: All Interior lights to 3000K LEDs, All interior door handle switches to lighted switches, mirror switch to lighted switch, Blue LEDs on the interior door lock recesses, Wireless carplay dongle,Tuxmats for the passenger seating area front and rear, All exterior lights that were not LED to LED, Side mirrors to sequential LED on the turn signals, white grill lights /yellow turn signals (sequential) in the gap directly under the hood( also act as additinal daytime running lights), a usb light plugged into one of the usb connectors in the center console, a center console tray, red and black rubber insets for all storage areas and finally Weathertech in channel vent visors for all 4 doors.

· Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
I have a 2021 R4P XSE PP. I found the Lasfit were way too bright for me on the interior lights. I found a 3000K that were much more to my liking. Brighter than the OEM incandesent but not too bright. I used a Lasfit LED in the cargo area and found it plenty bright enough. I did use Lasfit in all the exterior bulbs that were not LED (back up lights, turn signals and puddle lights). I have had so much fun doing some mods that have made my R4P feel more finished. Here's the list: All Interior lights to 3000K LEDs, All interior door handle switches to lighted switches, mirror switch to lighted switch, Blue LEDs on the interior door lock recesses, Wireless carplay dongle,Tuxmats for the passenger seating area front and rear, All exterior lights that were not LED to LED, Side mirrors to sequential LED on the turn signals, white grill lights /yellow turn signals (sequential) in the gap directly under the hood( also act as additinal daytime running lights), a usb light plugged into one of the usb connectors in the center console, a center console tray, red and black rubber insets for all storage areas and finally Weathertech in channel vent visors for all 4 doors.
Wow, you've really gone all out! I am still trying to decide what mods I will ultimately make. Sort of like the concept of "measure twice and cut once," I am trying to not have to buy the parts twice.
I am leaning towards your decision to use less bright (3000K) LEDs for the interior lights, except for the cargo area, which needs a lot more light. Toyota's 2022 and newer LEDs are reportedly less bright than the Lasfit lights. Since your RAV4 and mine are the same model (2021 R4P XSE PP) will you tell me where to buy the 3000K LEDs, along with their part numbers (the flat ones and the pointy ones)? Did you investigate whether or not the 2022+ Toyota interior LEDs would work, too?

Likewise, will you please give me the source(s) and part numbers for the "All interior door handle switches to lighted switches, mirror switch to lighted switch, Blue LEDs on the interior door lock recesses and Wireless carplay dongle"?

On a totally unrelated subject, in case you are interested in yet another modification (sort of), since Toyota says we may not use snow chains on our RAV4's, I bought a pair of XLarge, heavy-duty, K&K Automotive Snow Socks ($149.99, minus a $20 coupon) on Amazon.com), that I will store until next winter when I again drive to the SEMA Show and CES. I hit a sudden blizzard on the way to CES this year, on a small pass in California just before I reached the Nevada border. Luckily the California Highway Patrol was not yet out, or I would have been turned back and probably would have missed the CES Press Conferences, as well as had to pay for my reserved hotel room for that night. These snow socks have gotten some excellent video reviews. The RAV4 had excellent traction, but having the snow socks on board an all-wheel-drive vehicle might have been enough to get let through by the police.

Jan

Wheel Tire Automotive tire Vehicle Tread
Wheel Tire Automotive tire Vehicle Tread

· Registered
8 Posts
I ordered from the Lasfit web site, free shiping. They had a package for the interior lights using these bulbs currently $42, including 6 T10 and 2 28 mm dome lights, and all worked perfectly, including the T10's. They are all very bright. Amazon's fitment guide is often incorrect. The door window switch came from a low price web site, it worked perfectly.
From Lasfit web site:
Dome Light: 28MM/ DE3021 bulb size|bright white 6000K. Festoon bulbs.
Using high power 3030 SMD LED chips, extremely 6000K crips white light. That's enough to light up your car. Build-in Canbus decoder. Fit perfectly in the same light housing as your original incandescent bulbs, for plug and play installation. The bulb body is slim, sleek, and incredibly compact to stay out of the way when plugged in.

Map/ Stepwell/ Trunk/ Vanity Mirror Light: T10/ 194/ 168 bulb size|1200LM/set, 6000K bright white light.
Using high power 3030 SMD LED chips on each bulb. Canbus pass by error check for 2019-2021 Toyota RAV4.

I finally acknowledged that a high powered motorcycle was getting close to exceeding my aging capabilities, so I switched to a Miata. A dozen years ago, I bought a nearly new 3 pedal NC with the power retractable hard top.
View attachment 191584
Great looking Sunfish. I have the same one. Do you race?

· Registered
179 Posts
Great looking Sunfish. I have the same one. Do you race?
That boat won the 30th Worlds, with 8 time World Champ Eduardo at the helm. It's napping for the winter. I did midwinters and regionals when I had my motorhome, now race just locally many summer weekends. 45 years of racing, I'm not as nimble or fast as I used to be. Or maybe I need a new main again. We have at least two club members going to Pensacola midwinters, that's pretty far north and has been known to be cold. My wet suit seems to have, uh, "shrunk".
Tire Wheel Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive design

· Registered
8 Posts
Nice setup hanging the trailer and boat. Race sails do need to be changed out after a couple of seasons and you will notice the difference I have sailed againist Eduardo and he has amazing boat speed and he is back racing again.Sunfish are having a big come in fleet size, regionals in the northeast have 50 boats and there is a regional in Florida in Feburary that has 60 people registered so far.

· Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
I ordered from the Lasfit web site, free shiping. They had a package for the interior lights using these bulbs currently $42, including 6 T10 and 2 28 mm dome lights, and all worked perfectly, including the T10's. They are all very bright. Amazon's fitment guide is often incorrect. The door window switch came from a low price web site, it worked perfectly.
From Lasfit web site:
Using high power 3030 SMD LED chips, extremely 6000K crips white light. That's enough to light up your car. Build-in Canbus decoder. Fit perfectly in the same light housing as your original incandescent bulbs, for plug and play installation. The bulb body is slim, sleek, and incredibly compact to stay out of the way when plugged in.

Map/ Stepwell/ Trunk/ Vanity Mirror Light: T10/ 194/ 168 bulb size|1200LM/set, 6000K bright white light.
Using high power 3030 SMD LED chips on each bulb. Canbus pass by error check for 2019-2021 Toyota RAV4.

I finally acknowledged that a high powered motorcycle was getting close to exceeding my aging capabilities, so I switched to a Miata. A dozen years ago, I bought a nearly new 3 pedal NC with the power retractable hard top.
View attachment 191584
Using your link, I just ordered the replacement drivers'-side lit door switches assembly for my 2021 RAV4 Prime XSE Premium Package. I had trouble completing my order on the AliExpress website but eventually it went through. Now I am about to figure out how and what to order on the Lasfit website for the LED interior lights...

· Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
From Lasfit web site:

View attachment 191584
Okay, I just ordered six of the Vanity/Map/Cargo area LEDs and a two-pack of the interior dome light LEDs for my 2021 RAV6 Prime XSE Premium Package from LASFIT (at a 20% discount, thanks to an email that I got from them this weekend about a three-day sale); as well as a couple of tools to install them, and your recommended sticker sheet set, from Amazon.
I have never removed interior light covers before. Will you tell me how to install these, so that I don't break the light covers?
As I think I showed you with a photo, my previous Miata was a black, third generation like yours, with a limited slip diff for autocrossing. After I autocrossed it for a few years I sold it to someone else who was even more successful than I was autocrossing it, too (I should not have sold it).
Thank you for your advice. Everyone on this forum has been very helpful.
Jan

· Registered
179 Posts
I have never removed interior light covers before. Will you tell me how to install these, so that I don't break the light covers?

Jan
Simple plastic pry tools. Slip an edge of the one or more pry tools under the light housing and pull, harder than you think you need to, but nothing has broken on mine with several removals. The center roof controls needed a strong pull. I've changed bulbs and worked on the roof rails, both necessitated dropping the interior lights. Don't try to remove just the lens, pull the entire assembly loose. If you want a 12 v Homelink autodim compass mirror, this is the time to wire up that.

· Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
Simple plastic pry tools. Slip an edge of the one or more pry tools under the light housing and pull, harder than you think you need to, but nothing has broken on mine with several removals. The center roof controls needed a strong pull. I've changed bulbs and worked on the roof rails, both necessitated dropping the interior lights. Don't try to remove just the lens, pull the entire assembly loose. If you want a 12 v Homelink autodim compass mirror, this is the time to wire up that.
Thanks. Where are the footwell lights? Apparently they use the same LED "bulbs" as the visors, map lights and cargo compartment lights (I ordered a six-pack). If they are the lights in the outside mirrors, how are the covers removed for those?

Thank you.

Jan

· Registered
179 Posts
Thanks. Where are the footwell lights? Apparently they use the same LED "bulbs" as the visors, map lights and cargo compartment lights (I ordered a six-pack). If they are the lights in the outside mirrors, how are the covers removed for those?

Thank you.

Jan
Can't help. I bought the SE models, we wanted to keep our cost to $50k + state tax, title & 7 year registrations for both our Primes together, and came real close. If we would have skipped the weather/ moon roofs and two grand of port options we could gotten below $50. SE doesn't have the extra lights you've got.

· Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
Can't help. I bought the SE models, we wanted to keep our cost to $50k + state tax, title & 7 year registrations for both our Primes together, and came real close. If we would have skipped the weather/ moon roofs and two grand of port options we could gotten below $50. SE doesn't have the extra lights you've got.
You did really well to get two Primes for about 50K.
It has been raining a lot here lately, which is quite unusual for Southern California. Having all-wheel-drive is a confidence booster.

· Registered
179 Posts
You did really well to get two Primes for about 50K.
Having the $15000 fed credit and $2000 state rebate, and selling our 2012 Camry SE and a 2015 Forester XT at the used market peak made a nice $$ outcome. Both old cars were over 100k miles and needed significant money infusions to keep going. Timing was everything, and a great dealer with no significant mark up. (Williams, Elmira, NY)

· Registered
2021 RAV4 XLE Premium Hybrid
2,245 Posts

Thank you.

Jan
The footwell lights, are part of the ambient light system; they are completely different than the other lights. There are several threads on the ambient lights, but here is one to start with: Storage tray lights | Page 4 | Toyota RAV4 Forums To find the footwell lights, look at the panel above your feet. The passenger side is easiest to see. If you don't have the lights, you may have the wiring for them. Just drop that panel above the feet and see if there is a wiring harness clipped to the back side.

The outside mirror covers are fairly easy to remove. The installation video for the sequential lights show how: Free Shipping LED Side Mirror Sequential Dynamic Turn Signal Light For TOYOTA RAV4 2019 2020 2021 2022 2023 / Highlander 2020-2023 / Sienna 2021 2022 2023

· Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
The footwell lights, are part of the ambient light system; they are completely different than the other lights. There are several threads on the ambient lights, but here is one to start with: Storage tray lights | Page 4 | Toyota RAV4 Forums To find the footwell lights, look at the panel above your feet. The passenger side is easiest to see. If you don't have the lights, you may have the wiring for them. Just drop that panel above the feet and see if there is a wiring harness clipped to the back side.

The outside mirror covers are fairly easy to remove. The installation video for the sequential lights show how: Free Shipping LED Side Mirror Sequential Dynamic Turn Signal Light For TOYOTA RAV4 2019 2020 2021 2022 2023 / Highlander 2020-2023 / Sienna 2021 2022 2023
Thank you. If memory serves me correctly, I have noticed ambient lighting above the convenient little storage tray set in the dashboard (handy for temporary storage of a credit card that I am about to use, for example), to the left of the steering wheel.
I must admit that I am nervous about my ability to install the interior LED lights and driver's-side front door lit switches assembly that I have on order—both in regards to worrying that I might break tabs on the covers, etc. and also on the door panel switch assembly. I am also a little worried about possible quality differences between the Toyota OEM parts and the Made in China aftermarket parts that I will be replacing them with. It does give me confidence that you and the other person who's been helping me both have had no problems — either doing the replacements or with the function and longevity of the parts.

· Registered
179 Posts
Thank you. If memory serves me correctly, I have noticed ambient lighting above the convenient little storage tray set in the dashboard (handy for temporary storage of a credit card that I am about to use, for example), to the left of the steering wheel.
I must admit that I am nervous about my ability to install the interior LED lights and driver's-side front door lit switches assembly that I have on order—both in regards to worrying that I might break tabs on the covers, etc. and also on the door panel switch assembly. I am also a little worried about possible quality differences between the Toyota OEM parts and the Made in China aftermarket parts that I will be replacing them with. It does give me confidence that you and the other person who's been helping me both have had no problems — either doing the replacements or with the function and longevity of the parts.
The door window switch was extremally easy, someone on here has posted a how to do it. It's amazing how many of the car parts just click together and pry apart easily. Even the bumpers, it you ever do a trailer hitch. Be sure you have a plastic pry set, harbor freight is fine. Once you replace the lights, you will have no qualms about bettering the OEM quality with many minor things, including the interior lights, horn, better dash speakers, autodim Homelink mirror, body side moldings etc.

· Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
A
I have a 21 R4P, my wife has a 22 R4P with Toyota's LED interior lights. I installed Lasfit's interior light package with my 21. 2019-2021 Toyota RAV4 LED Fog Light Exterior Interior Bulbs Plug and Play
They are far brighter than the Toyota ones in the 22. I wish I could change the 22's dome and cargo lights to Lasfit's but it would be a difficult or expensive job. I was going to order the cargo lights that replaced the two access panels on the tailgate, but the lasfit bulb in the original cargo lamp holder is bright enough to make the extra bulbs unnecessary. Might be worthwhile in the dimmer 22, but a pain to run the wiring. There are several sources to replace the window switch, an easy, worthwhile change too. I did only the drivers side. Passengers can take the time to find the switch in the dark, not so the driver. The overhead is a challenge to change. I added glow in the dark stickers to find the drivers reading lamp and the sunroof switches. I'd skip worrying about useing genuine Toyota bulbs, the aftermarket is as good or better. I didn't bother changing the visor mirror activated bulbs, and I used one of the Lasfit kit ones in my Miata, really brightened up it's interior. I'm happy with Lasfit, other bulbs like on Amazon may be as good, but with my Lasfit experience I'd pay the bit extra for a product that works well. I will probably put their back up bulbs in too. Some day. Should have done that when I had the rear apart running the trailer light kit. I'm also thinking of adding long distance driving lights, not fog lamps: SS3 LED Fog Light Kit for 2016-2023 Toyota RAV4. The $380 ones, would need fog lamp mounting surrounds and wiring stuff too. Up close the factory lighting meets my need, I'd like more for back road, way down the road lighting to pick up the rodents with antlers sooner, wired together with the high beams. I added long range driving lamps to several of my last cars, and miss the far away lighting power. Eventually, maybe.
View attachment 191575
Stickers: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0BJT8RC18?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details
The LED package that you provided the link for includes 31MM dome light LEDs, but in a subsequent message to me you said the done light LEDs are 28mm. I used the LASFIT 31MM part # from your package of LEDs, and that is what arrived. What is the difference?

· Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 ·
From Lasfit web site:

View attachment 191584
I just phoned LASFIT technical support, to verify the correct part number for the replacement LED done lights for my 2021 RAV4 Prime XSE (Premium Package). The link you posted for the large variety pack of LEDs that you bought from LASFIT showed the dome light part is L-31MM, but in your written description of what you installed and are satisfied with, you said that you used 28MM (not 31MM). LASFIT told me that while they do recommend the L-31MM for the 2021 RAV4, either that or the 28MM will both work, but that the 28MM has one less chip and is not as bright. I am curious why you separately bought the 28MM?

21 - 40 of 48 Posts