Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

21 - 37 of 37 Posts

Registered
I would first try a Magic Eraser on a small part of the scratch. If that did not work, I would try Maguire's All Purpose Cleaner. Again on a small part of the scratch. I would be shocked if one of these methods did not work.

Follow up with 303 protectant.
I'll give both methods a go and report back with the results.
Thanks !

Registered
Armorall will damage the dashboard. The sun heats up Vinyl and Leatherite materials. Will initially cause color fading and then hardening and cracking over time. Leather is actually porous so the oils seap in and take much longer to crack, but the sun UV Radiation will cause discoloring over time. Ne ver use Armorall Products on Leather Upholstery seats and dashboard, similar products to Armorall cause same damage. Should check to validate that whatever you use has UV Protections and not an oil solvent. Silicon with UV protection is best protector.
I just got a new 2020 and have the softex interior. I'm in AZ where it gets dusty daily....so I went to local car shop and asked thr best product to use as I have only had cloth before. Recommended armorall
馃槶 I tried it on dash, just small area...once. Then i felt like i should do more research and found this page. If I just did it once, will dash be okay? Should i use soap and water to reverse?! My first brand new car and im panicking now.

Registered
Discussion Starter #23
You made a mistake using arm oral especially in Toyota product of today. They specifically say a damp fiber cloth using water only. Armoral is an oil based product with no UV protection. Over years, it results in cracking vinyl upholstery and definitely leather where some folks did when it first came out. As per Toyota article and in your manual, use only water, but you may need something a little stronger to remove a bad stain. A lot of us older folks made mistakes such as not reading the owner manuals for specifics.

Registered
I accidentally scratched my dashboard when it鈥檚 hot by cleaning dust with a dry cloth. What do you guys think I can use to fix it?

Registered
Discussion Starter #26
Hi Ben:

I am sold on the Torque Detail Products: Miirror Shine, Ceramic Shine, Plastic Restorer. Plastic Restorer is a Silicone Base Product with UV Protection. It will not cause cracking. I first used it on my black trim on my 2002 Jeep Liberty and it made everything look like new. Then I used it on the plastic and rubber interior and same results, show room new in 2020. Now as you cane see I use the same on my 2019 Toyota RAV4 Limited and it leaves a shine on the exterior and interior plastic trim and rubber. Don't use it on your seats though, only use a damp cloth on the seats. My Toyota service manager asks me every time I bring the car in for a wash, if I just bought it. So, I brag about the care I give my cars and with what. Buy one bottle on line and try it, or if you trust me get the three bottle sale where one bottle is free and with free s/h from Torque detail.

Secret, don't spray it directly on the plastic and rubber door seals, spray it on a small fibre cloth covered sponge applicator and apply evenly. Wait about five minutes and buff the surface with a small dry fibre cloth, the ones face cloth size from Walmart. You can re-apply whenever it looses it shine.
Good luck
Bill

Registered
Discussion Starter #27
15 year old mail box restored with plastc restorer.jpg

A car ran into my 15 year old mailbox back in March and I had to replace the post. I had the Torque Detail plastic restorer already, so I applied it inside and out and it is like new again. It was faded with scrapes and bird due so I washed it and applied the plastic restorer. Still looks like this in Louisiana with all the rain and hot sun and only applied once so far.

Registered
Thank you for the detailed advice, Bill. I鈥檝e just ordered it and will try it out right after receiving. The little scratch has annoyed me for days every time I see it. Hopefully, the Torque Detail Plastic will blow it away. Once again thank you so much.

Registered
I use Nextzett Cockpit Premium on the interior of mine to clean both the dash and the seats (since Softex is really just vinyl). Works perfectly and I've never had an issue with it in any car I've used it in. It does contain a UV blocker, so you can use that to clean stains and such and stop there and it'll look great. Sometimes I hit it with Carpro Pearl diluted 1:5 after cleaning with Cockpit Premium to give it some extra UV protection and provide a bit of extra pop. Again, you can do the entire interior with it since everything is vinyl. 303 is also a great product and I would totally recommend it.

Registered
Yeah I've tried every method i could find, and also have taken the car to multiple detailers and nothing has worked...the scratches have only gotten worse unfortunately.

Registered
View attachment 154944 I accidentally scratched my dashboard when it鈥檚 hot by cleaning dust with a dry cloth. What do you guys think I can use to fix it?
How specifically did this happen by cleaning dust? This has me a bit concerned. I know the exterior paint isn't the most durable, but I didn't think the interior lacked durability, as well.

Registered
Well, the car was under the sunshine for the whole morning. It鈥檚 usually at least 90 degress so the dashboard was pretty hot. I sprayed the Chemical guys Total interior cleaner to clean some dust with the mirco fiber towel. Guess I rubbed it a little too hard and it left those terrible marks. Btw, I do not recommend Chemical guys interior. However, Bill is my savior when he introduced me to Torque detail. It greatly reduce the sratches after 1 apply. Torque detail is the best product for my car right now.

Registered
Well, the car was under the sunshine for the whole morning. It鈥檚 usually at least 90 degress so the dashboard was pretty hot. I sprayed the Chemical guys Total interior cleaner to clean some dust with the mirco fiber towel. Guess I rubbed it a little too hard and it left those terrible marks. Btw, I do not recommend Chemical guys interior. However, Bill is my savior when he introduced me to Torque detail. It greatly reduce the sratches after 1 apply. Torque detail is the best product for my car right now. View attachment 155293
View attachment 155294
That's an incredible difference ! The passenger side dash in mine is covered in these marks and still haven't been able to remove any, can you upload a photo of the product you used and how you applied it ? Thanks !

Registered
I bought it from Amazon.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07V57GQGQ/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_m8jkFbWRKQV6Q
Or you can see the link of the product from the previous post by Bill with a cheaper price when you buy 3.
I just followed the instruction on the bottle: spray directly to the area then I use my finger to rub it gently to spread the solutions to cover all the scratches. Leave it for 30-60 seconds and then wipe gently with a clean micro fiber towel.
Your scratches look similar to mine so hopefully it will be healed in the same way.
Thanks to Bill again with an awesome recommendation.

21 - 37 of 37 Posts