Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

41 - 60 of 171 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #41 (Edited)
Today's quick DIY is a direct result of the dealer not doing what I specifically asked them to do. Not install and drill in the front bumper license plate bracket! Unfortunately they did it anyways....and also screwed the license plate screws in too far so they made marks on the paint! Note: I live in Ohio and the state requires a front license plate (at least until July 2020), but I have never been a fan and so far, over many years, have not been cited for it!

For now the quick answer was using Bumper Plugs!. Yes...they are basically a rip off for 30.00, but since they come painted to match your colored bumper, I went ahead and invested in it.

The instructions are very easy, even though in order to install them you have to drill the holes out to make them even bigger! 😲

Then you gently push them in!

The result is pretty good and not very noticeable.

As far as the other screw marks go, I have sanded them and applied some touch up paint...along with clear coat.

Hope this helps anyone who runs into the same scenario.

-M

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
Today's quick DIY is a direct result of the dealer not doing what I specifically asked them to do. Not install and drill in the front bumper license plate bracket! Unfortunately they did it anyways....and also screwed the license plate screws in too far so they made marks on the paint! Note: I live in Ohio and the state requires a front license plate (at least until July 2020), but I have never been a fan and so far, over many years, have not been cited for it!
Ditto. Same state. Front plates are annoying. When I bought my Fusion the dealer got me like this one got you...and would not fix it basically telling me "tough". I had to eat it because it was a hard to find model (no nannies).

When I signed paper work for deposit I made them write on their papers no front plate installation and no dealer badging. It was the only thing I harped on as delivery got close.

·
Registered
21 Posts
This looks great. I am at the dealership right now and they say that the blackouts do not exist (San Antonio TX). Please, can you link to who/where you ordered them, or PM me with contact info to where you got them

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
This looks great. I am at the dealership right now and they say that the blackouts do not exist (San Antonio TX). Please, can you link to who/where you ordered them, or PM me with contact info to where you got them
Check post 20...first paragraph...last sentence. Google that number and tons of options show up.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
It still amazes me that in 2019 not all the bulbs in this car are LED. So of course I have changed out all the incandescent bulbs to LED. I am going to split my LED light post into 4 separate posts. 2 for Exterior and 2 Interior. I need to do this due to the fact I can only attach 10 pictures to any given post. This post will focus on the exterior bulb replacements. Including:

Front turn signals ---> Front LINK
Backup lights ---> LINK

The backup up bulbs are very easy to replace. I used a small plastic trim tool to remove the plastic panels that are located on the inside of the rear lift gate. (if you don't have a set of plastic trim tools, HERE is a good set to have)

The bulb holder easily twists out and the bulb just pulls out and the new one slides right in!

Make sure you test it before you button everything up. In some cases if it does not light you may need to flip the bulb around in the socket. You will need a second person to engage reverse and hold the brake while you test the light. The LED bulbs are much brighter!

Next up is the front turn signal bulbs. The key to replacing incandescent turn signals with LED bulbs is you will need to account for the hyperflash (super fast flashing) and potential error messages from the computer. Luckily LED bulb manufacturers have begun to include the load resistors to eliminate the hyperflash and any computer errors. I have selected bulbs (links above) that work great in the RAV4

Replacing the front turn signals is also very simple as the sockets are easily reachable at the front of the engine bay. The bulb socket twists out and then you can pull out the socket and the bulb.

The front LED turn signal replacements have a bulb part that pushes into the socket and a part that connects to the wiring harness.

It will take a bit of force and wiggle to seat the bulb in the socket. but this is what it will look like after it is installed. Test the bulb before you insert it into the socket.

Next you will plug in the other end of the bulb into the wiring harness.

You will need to protect the connection into the wiring harness so water cannot get in. I used some water sealing tape I had from another project.

Then finally I used some heat resistant fabric tape to make sure the wiring harness was secure. Repeat these steps for the other side and your done! These lights are super bright and are so much better than the incandescent bulbs!

The next post will tackle the Rear turn signals and Fog lamps!

-M

·
Registered
239 Posts
3. Swap wheel center caps with ones that have all black Toyota logo
Have you found the center caps with the all black logo? I have been looking for them. No luck yet.

Your XSE looks great! I have done some of the things you listed here (appearance related). I had the silver/chrome areas wrapped in glossy black. Something to consider.
1A0735F1-0AE7-49D9-9027-349F45109263.jpeg
2387A5AD-019B-4662-AE22-6B408203B004.jpeg

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #48
Have you found the center caps with the all black logo? I have been looking for them. No luck yet.

Your XSE looks great! I have done some of the things you listed here (appearance related). I had the silver/chrome areas wrapped in glossy black. Something to consider.
Cash70,

Your car looks amazing! Nice job! I am doing some exterior mods to blackout some areas...they will be featured in a future post. As far as the black center wheel cap goes, THIS is the one I have seen online, but not sure it will fit. I guess I just need to order one and find out!

-M

·
Registered
39 Posts
Did you consider using a higher quality Diode Dynamics type of LED, and then using a hyperflash module that connects into the steering column somewhere? I'm not sure if this is an option for this car/trim, but I've used it before when I changed the lights on my Subaru Outback to LED's, this way you don't need the resistors on every single bulb.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #50
Did you consider using a higher quality Diode Dynamics type of LED, and then using a hyperflash module that connects into the steering column somewhere? I'm not sure if this is an option for this car/trim, but I've used it before when I changed the lights on my Subaru Outback to LED's, this way you don't need the resistors on every single bulb.
I did look into this and apparently the last generation RAV4 was able to add a LED Relay in the fuse box to prevent the hyperflash, but it is not an option to do on the current generation.

Thanks,

-M

·
Registered
1 Posts
Did not even know that 'a speaker' was mounted to make noise for pedestrian o_O. I'm really sure mine ( belgian version RAV4 ) doesn't have one :cool:. quiet as hell on low ( EV mode ) speed.
Hi there, I also don't have this sound but I do hear my brakes a bit when in EV-mode do you?

·
Registered
239 Posts
Cash70,

Your car looks amazing! Nice job! I am doing some exterior mods to blackout some areas...they will be featured in a future post. As far as the black center wheel cap goes, THIS is the one I have seen online, but not sure it will fit. I guess I just need to order one and find out!

-M
Thanks managerman! Yours looks amazing too!

Looks like they might fit. The XSE’s are 2 1/2”. I will order them and will post back when I receive them.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #55
I also have a meter that can read the info needed. I will test this as soon as I can. Most likely over the weekend. I agree with Dr Dyno. Definitely do not want to have info that would damage the car. I guess I should not have assumed the Priuschat thread was gospel. As a side note, the mod has been in place for over a week with no issues.

-M
Resistor Mod update:

Ok...I’m no electrical engineer, but I can operate a multimeter with accuracy. I First measured the resistance on the speaker. It read 3.6 Ohms. So it is basically a 4 ohm speaker.

Then I measured the voltage at the speaker harness with the car on and it read 2.53 volts. I also had my wife put the car in reverse since that is when the speaker emits noise. The voltage went immediately to zero. Very weird. But if this is only a 3 volt 4 ohm speaker my 10 watt 8ohm resistor should be fine.

I also checked the the resistor and it was cool to the touch while running the tests with no evidence of overheating.

Would sure like a second opinion on this though as it is entirely possible I measured wrong.

In any case, for now, I am keeping the mod installed. Up to this point, I see no negative effects.

-M

·
Registered
24 Posts

Same problem here! I removed the plastic over sized plate holder, and tossed it. Then I re-drilled the front license plate to match the big ugly holes that remained.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Resistor Mod update:

Ok...I’m no electrical engineer, but I can operate a multimeter with accuracy. I First measured the resistance on the speaker. It read 3.6 Ohms. So it is basically a 4 ohm speaker.

Then I measured the voltage at the speaker harness with the car on and it read 2.53 volts. I also had my wife put the car in reverse since that is when the speaker emits noise. The voltage went immediately to zero. Very weird. But if this is only a 3 volt 4 ohm speaker my 10 watt 8ohm resistor should be fine.

I also checked the the resistor and it was cool to the touch while running the tests with no evidence of overheating.

Would sure like a second opinion on this though as it is entirely possible I measured wrong.

In any case, for now, I am keeping the mod installed. Up to this point, I see no negative effects.

-M

Thanks for doing this. Hopefully, someone can chime in on that soon. And, a 2nd question on the same topic - would it be safer or okay to use a bigger Watt/Ohm resistor?

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #59
Thanks for doing this. Hopefully, someone can chime in on that soon. And, a 2nd question on the same topic - would it be safer or okay to use a bigger Watt/Ohm resistor?
Based on my limited knowledge, the answer is yes...it seems that if the resistor is undersized is when you can run into issues. But I’m sure someone else on this forum has far greater knowledge on the subject.

-M

41 - 60 of 171 Posts
About this Discussion
170 Replies
42 Participants
managerman
Toyota RAV4 Forums
Rav 4 World is the internet's largest Toyota Rav4 SUV and EV online forum community. Discuss towing, modifications, and more.
Full Forum Listing