Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

21 - 40 of 164 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Those black overlay's are not available in Belgium ( shipping/import cost is just ridicule ). So I'm thinking about buying cheap 'aliexpress' versions and paint them black. It is just way better with black badges.
Keep us feeding your great tricks and mods ;-).

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #24 (Edited)
Ok...Let's tackle the controversial issue of the Pedestrian sound/alert speaker noise. I fully understand what it is there for and I do not endorse you removing it. With that said, I removed it without having the car throw a warning alert on the DIC...Here are the easy steps to do it. Thanks to Colonel's thread here for some great info as well as a few different Priuschat forum posts about the resistor details!

Step 1:

Remove the plastic trim piece that covers the horns, and pedestrian speaker. You will need to remove the 5 push clips by using a small screwdriver to lift up the middle part of the clip. Once that is done you will need to remove the two 10mm bolts.

You will need to wrangle the plastic piece out, by bending out from the front of the car and the hood latch. It is a very flexible piece and will not rip or tear. I suggest you do this as long as the temperature or engine is warm. It will make the piece more flexible.

Here is the plastic trim piece removed.

And here is the speaker.

Step 2:

Remove the electrical connector from the speaker. Press in the tab on the connector and it will come right off. Next you will need a 10 watt 8 ohm resistor like this to use in place of the speaker to "trick" the computer into thinking the speaker is still there. You can order this resistor from Amazon

Step 3: I wired up the resistor into the connector with some extra wire I had laying around and some electrical tape. You can solder these if you wish...I wanted to make it so it could be removed easily.

Step 4:

Use some more electrical tape to seal up the contraption and attach it to the body of the car. Make sure the electrical connections where the wires are are fully covered with electrical tape as water can enter this area of the front grill.

Step 5: (optional)

I removed the speaker from the car.

Step 6:

Re-install the plastic cover piece and you are all done! Enjoy some quiet!

-M

·
Super Moderator
9,035 Posts
I haven't read thru all this and the other threads on the subject so please excuse me if this was covered, but did you measure the voltage the speaker is powered by and the current it draws? The resistor needs to be sized to closely match that. In particular if it's powered by 12V (14V running) an 8 ohm resistor will dissipate 25 watts and burn up quickly. If the voltage is 5 volts then it's only 3 watts and everything's cool.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
I haven't read thru all this and the other threads on the subject so please excuse me if this was covered, but did you measure the voltage the speaker is powered by and the current it draws? The resistor needs to be sized to closely match that. In particular if it's powered by 12V (14V running) an 8 ohm resistor will dissipate 25 watts and burn up quickly. If the voltage is 5 volts then it's only 3 watts and everything's cool.
Hello Dr. Dyno...The information about the resistance came from this thread on PriusChat.

Here is a small excerpt from that thread.:

"The voltage will be 6volts DC going to speaker not 12volts, for the sake of this I will select 8 ohms so 6/A=8. A = .75. Now that you have ampere you can calculate watts. The formula is:

Volts X Ampere = Watts

So 6 X .75 = Watt. Watt = 4.5
So the perfect way to fake the system is to introduce a 4.5Watt 8Ohm resistor"

I used a 10 watt resistor just to have some headroom....and I did test for any heat build up and there was none at all. Thanks for bringing this up.

-M

·
Registered
8 Posts
Did not even know that 'a speaker' was mounted to make noise for pedestrian o_O. I'm really sure mine ( belgian version RAV4 ) doesn't have one :cool:. quiet as hell on low ( EV mode ) speed.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Hello Dr. Dyno...The information about the resistance came from this thread on PriusChat.

Here is a small excerpt from that thread.:

"The voltage will be 6volts DC going to speaker not 12volts, for the sake of this I will select 8 ohms so 6/A=8. A = .75. Now that you have ampere you can calculate watts. The formula is:

Volts X Ampere = Watts

So 6 X .75 = Watt. Watt = 4.5
So the perfect way to fake the system is to introduce a 4.5Watt 8Ohm resistor"

I used a 10 watt resistor just to have some headroom....and I did test for any heat build up and there was none at all. Thanks for bringing this up.

-M
So, there is no heat on the resistor after a good period of driving? And are we sure that its 6 volt though.

Man, this clears up my questions exactly thanks again!

·
Super Moderator
9,035 Posts
So, there is no heat on the resistor after a good period of driving? And are we sure that its 6 volt though.
AFAIK there's nothing on a car that's 6 volts. So I wouldn't trust that info unless I measured it myself with the speaker connected. The 10 ohm resistor could be overloading the circuit and could damage the driver circuit inside some ECU.

·
Registered
81 Posts
AFAIK there's nothing on a car that's 6 volts. So I wouldn't trust that info unless I measured it myself with the speaker connected. The 10 ohm resistor could be overloading the circuit and could damage the driver circuit inside some ECU.
Thanks for your advice, and since the source came from a Prius forum, there could be a difference between the 2 cars. So, the foremost task is to confirm the "volt". I am no engineer at all, so I only have a slight idea about volt and watts, that's it. If it is indeed a 12V, then what size resistor should we use then??

·
Registered
25 Posts
A speaker is an audio device and thus uses AC not DC.
If the original speaker is 8 ohm impedance then the signal driving it is also looking for 8 ohms impedance.
Whatever wattage the speaker is the resister should be the same or higher.

·
Super Moderator
9,035 Posts
A speaker is an audio device and thus uses AC not DC.
If the original speaker is 8 ohm impedance then the signal driving it is also looking for 8 ohms impedance.
Whatever wattage the speaker is the resister should be the same or higher.
Exactly correct but usually these type units are DC powered electronic modules driving a built-in speaker not just a speaker by itself.
If someone in the eastern CT/southern RI area wants to stop by I have a meter that could confirm everything in a few minutes.
I just don't trust third party solutions and especially don't want any info on OUR forum that might be harmful to our RAV4s. Not saying this is but just would like to be sure.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I was going to ask about all this stuff related to Toyota's "vehicle proximity notification system" (page 74 in the RAV Hybrid manual) but I hadn't seen that it's been covered already. It's an annoying sound, for sure. In the morning, if I turn the heat up high, it doesn't make any sound. I'm guessing the gas-engine comes on to start to generate heat.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
Exactly correct but usually these type units are DC powered electronic modules driving a built-in speaker not just a speaker by itself.
If someone in the eastern CT/southern RI area wants to stop by I have a meter that could confirm everything in a few minutes.
I just don't trust third party solutions and especially don't want any info on OUR forum that might be harmful to our RAV4s. Not saying this is but just would like to be sure.
I also have a meter that can read the info needed. I will test this as soon as I can. Most likely over the weekend. I agree with Dr Dyno. Definitely do not want to have info that would damage the car. I guess I should not have assumed the Priuschat thread was gospel. As a side note, the mod has been in place for over a week with no issues.

-M

·
Registered
81 Posts
I also have a meter that can read the info needed. I will test this as soon as I can. Most likely over the weekend. I agree with Dr Dyno. Definitely do not want to have info that would damage the car. I guess I should not have assumed the Priuschat thread was gospel. As a side note, the mod has been in place for over a week with no issues.

-M
Thanks for doing it, Buddy!! This is one of the best threads to follow. Please keep us posted, and I will start this mod as soon as I see your test outcome.

·
Registered
89 Posts
I tried fiddling with mine today but I couldn’t get the cover out past the latch. I was sure I was going to break or crease it.

Maybe I’ll try again with a hot engine.

·
Registered
81 Posts
I tried fiddling with mine today but I couldn’t get the cover out past the latch. I was sure I was going to break or crease it.

Maybe I’ll try again with a hot engine.
i had the same experience too. For those who have done it successfully, itd be very helpful to post a vid to show how, so we can follow closely.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
i had the same experience too. For those who have done it successfully, itd be very helpful to post a vid to show how, so we can follow closely.
I will take a video that shows how the plastic cover goes in and out when I check the voltage of the pedestrian speaker this weekend.

-M

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
9 Posts
Thanks for sharing your mods and how-tos. I have been washing my car wrong all these years lol. I’m sure you never take your Rav to a car wash. Does your house look like your car?! Lol
I’m waiting to order my white Limited Hybrid when the 2020 pricing is released. When I do, I plan to follow your advice on washing. Can’t wait!

21 - 40 of 164 Posts
About this Discussion
163 Replies
40 Participants
managerman
Toyota RAV4 Forums
Rav 4 World is the internet's largest Toyota Rav4 SUV and EV online forum community. Discuss towing, modifications, and more.
Full Forum Listing