Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

441 - 455 of 455 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Ok so the Ebay intake came in. I cut a 2" silicone coupling and glued it inside the pipe to reduce the diameter at the MAF. I drove around engine light free for a day so it works. Tonight I went back and measured my stock tube and it is 3".
I was under the impression that the 06-07 models had a slightly smaller maf pipe?
If the both the intake and stock pipes are 3" then the silicone insert should not be needed and is impeding air flow.
Can anyone clarify this info before I rip out the insert only to possibly having to glue it back in again?!?

·
Registered
369 Posts
Ok so the Ebay intake came in. I cut a 2" silicone coupling and glued it inside the pipe to reduce the diameter at the MAF. I drove around engine light free for a day so it works. Tonight I went back and measured my stock tube and it is 3".
I was under the impression that the 06-07 models had a slightly smaller maf pipe?
If the both the intake and stock pipes are 3" then the silicone insert should not be needed and is impeding air flow.
Can anyone clarify this info before I rip out the insert only to possibly having to glue it back in again?!?

I drove my 2009 Rav4 V6 SAP around with the 3" eBay intake and it threw codes left and right. Hasn't thrown a code since I inserted the silicon coupler.

I never did measure the ID of my MAF housing but I probably could.

·
Registered
369 Posts

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
Here's my setup.
Car got written off before I had a chance to really enjoy it.
Sorry to hear of your loss man. That sucks. Like TEKSMRT said, good luck with your Si. If you are on Civicx.com, I go by 'Myx' on there. I have a 2018 EX Hatchback. See you over there. :wink

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
I drove my 2009 Rav4 V6 SAP around with the 3" eBay intake and it threw codes left and right. Hasn't thrown a code since I inserted the silicon coupler.

I never did measure the ID of my MAF housing but I probably could.
This is interesting. I guess I should've given some input here but I didn't quite understand why what I did resolved the problem. I did have the same issue in a couple of instances. Let me explain!
In these scenarios I always had the 3" maf piping. The only thing that I changed was the 45 degree coupler piece that it connected too.

1) When I connected a 4" 45 degree angled coupler to the 3" maf pipe, I threw a code.
2) When I slid the 3" 45 degree coupler piece 'too much' onto the 3" maf pipe, I threw a code. ***This makes absolutely no sense to me***
So what I did was pull the 3" 45 degree couple away from the 3" maf pipe a little more, clamp and drive. CEL light, stop, pull it out a little more, drive, etc. It was almost as if the coupler piece that was connected to the 3" maf pipe needed to be as long and straight as possible before it hit the 45 degree turn towards the battery. Once positioned right, I had no more CELs for years.

It makes no sense I know but that's how I resolved this issue. It seems like a fluke so I didn't talk much about it and just called it an error on my part. But that was my thinking around it. And somehow it worked. This is on a 2010 though. Perhaps that is different as well.

I only placed an insert inside of a 4" 45 degree coupler that I had attached to the 3" maf sensor piping. I had to do this so I could attach it to the 3" maf sensor piping. That was when I tested the 3" piping connected to a 4" 45 degree bend and 4" pipe all the way down to the foglight. I don't think I reported on how that went. I lost any and all lowend power I ever had and quickly changed back to smaller piping. That's when I tested gradually reducing (Or increasing depending on how you look at it) intake piping. :D (I know this may all sound confusing). A lot of stuff I tried/tested I don't talk about.

·
Registered
2008 Toyota RAV4 Limited V6 Limited GSA33W (Raiju)
6 Posts
Hi guys, I'm bring this thread back from the dead for a new development regarding the Camry SRI. You can modify the heat shield to fit the RAV4. Just need cut off the protruding bit, drill a new hole, and delete a bracket holding the main engine harness. Later, I'll add another screw, I was dead tired when I finished.

·
Registered
44 Posts
hachi inspired me to use my shield that was collecting dust. I cut off the same sections he did, and then when I was figuring out the hole pattern for mounting I thought I could use the spacers from the stock airbox to help. For the stock spacers - 1/2" hole is snug, 9/16" will give a little wiggle room.

When I put it in the engine bay, the shield was resting on the rear cable harness and battery tray mount, so I installed some spacers (3/4") from some spare work stuff. Had to trim a bit more off the shield for the battery tray as well.

The shield was still wobbly on the stock spacers since they are only supporting the center - but if the rubber stop that's included with the intake is used, it really firmed it up. The stud on the top of mine fell out during install, but if yours it intact it's easy to remove.

It was a fun little project and does make the intake setup look more "official", but I'm still not happy with the intake tube length and where the filter sits. I tried putting the Apollo kit in after I did this and there's no room to install the tube adapter at the end of the filter. I think the Camry intake tube length needs to be chopped 1" or so, but even then it will be a tight fit.
I also didn't like that using the shield doesn't allow "easy" use of the intake support bracket (means I'd have to fabricate something), so the intake tube is basically using the grommet in the cutout for support if it shifts a bit.

Going to order the misc parts to relocate the filter where the stock resonator was like the others have done, but I already had all of these parts in the garage so why not :)

·
Registered
6 Posts
I forgot to update. I took a piece of leftover metal and drilled a hole dead center making a makeshift splice plate that fits over the open space and utilizes the forward factory air box hold down thread.

Overall air filter choice is still up in the air. After months of research my choice will most likely be the Apexi Power Intake filter.

No oil and really good hp gains. The MKIV Supra forum peeps did massive research with many filters. Apexi stands as the best to them and in the Skyline groups

But, that will come much later, I'm back to focusing onto suspension.

·
Registered
3,393 Posts
I forgot to update. I took a piece of leftover metal and drilled a hole dead center making a makeshift splice plate that fits over the open space and utilizes the forward factory air box hold down thread.
View attachment 152497

Overall air filter choice is still up in the air. After months of research my choice will most likely be the Apexi Power Intake filter.
View attachment 152498
No oil and really good hp gains. The MKIV Supra forum peeps did massive research with many filters. Apexi stands as the best to them and in the Skyline groups

But, that will come much later, I'm back to focusing onto suspension.
The filter is sucking in hot air. The ideal setup is to draw in cold air from under the car. There is only one place to get cold air and that is on the driver side just behind the front bumper.

·
Registered
6 Posts
The heat shield has taken care of some heat. Temperature of air going into the front of the filter at wot is currently at 76 degrees. I duct taped digital thermometer to the front of the filter when I did it. Others have done it this way and are happy about it. I am too.

·
Registered
44 Posts
So while I was shopping for the various pipes and couplings, I came across an intake tube that looked like it might work. It had a 45, a straight section, and 80ish final bend. I figured if it didn't work as a whole, I could chop it up and use the parts and would come out to be less than buying the parts individually.

The intake is from a 98-03 4cyl Honda Accord Amazon.com: 3" Intake Pipe Perfit formance Cold Air Intake Induction Kit With Filter fit for Honda Accord DX/LX/EX/SE 1998 1999 2000 2001 2002 2.3L(black): Automotive
First thing I did was lay it in the engine bay to get an idea how it would sit:

I then chopped the first elbow off that had the vacuum tube, which left me with a single 3" pipe. After chopping and removing my heat shield, I could see how the end section would sit with a filter:

Now I put the Camry intake back on and then attached the Accord intake with a 3" coupler

I still had the support bracket on the Camry section, but the additional weight of the Accord section didn't give me the warm & fuzzies since the inlet area was resting on a cable & frame. The Accord intake came with a straight metal piece, so I made a bend and used an existing hole from the stock snorkel to mount the new bracket. Put a few scrap pieces of heat shield insulation (from the Camry intake kit) on it so it wasn't metal on metal.

Installed everything and used a few tie wraps to secure the inlet to my bracket. The entire intake is pretty sturdy and nothing is rubbing, so I'll check on it after a week or two and make sure that doesn't change.

Sound wise it's definitely louder than just the Camry intake. Over 5k at wot was great...not quite GS350 intake great :) , but really good for a grocery getter!! I'm still using the garbage filter that came with the Camry intake, so once I put a K&N on there it should be good to go. I don't expect to feel any power gains (although on my test drive with the cool air tonight it felt great from a roll!) as the setup doesn't seem optimal for hp, but it's better than stock and should keep the iat lower than the Camry intake.

If I were to do it again: I'd purchase matching finishes & materials of the intakes, create a good inlet support bracket, and fabricate a shield that blocks off the engine bay from the filter - keeping the filter more isolated to using air in the fender/bumper area.
Parts summary:
07-11 Camry V6 Intake ($40-50)
98 Accord 2.3L Intake ($40-50)
3" Silicone coupler and clamps ($10)
Quality air filter/optional ($30-50)

·
Registered
369 Posts
So while I was shopping for the various pipes and couplings, I came across an intake tube that looked like it might work. It had a 45, a straight section, and 80ish final bend. I figured if it didn't work as a whole, I could chop it up and use the parts and would come out to be less than buying the parts individually.

The intake is from a 98-03 4cyl Honda Accord Amazon.com: 3" Intake Pipe Perfit formance Cold Air Intake Induction Kit With Filter fit for Honda Accord DX/LX/EX/SE 1998 1999 2000 2001 2002 2.3L(black): Automotive
First thing I did was lay it in the engine bay to get an idea how it would sit:

I then chopped the first elbow off that had the vacuum tube, which left me with a single 3" pipe. After chopping and removing my heat shield, I could see how the end section would sit with a filter:

Now I put the Camry intake back on and then attached the Accord intake with a 3" coupler

I still had the support bracket on the Camry section, but the additional weight of the Accord section didn't give me the warm & fuzzies since the inlet area was resting on a cable & frame. The Accord intake came with a straight metal piece, so I made a bend and used an existing hole from the stock snorkel to mount the new bracket. Put a few scrap pieces of heat shield insulation (from the Camry intake kit) on it so it wasn't metal on metal.

Installed everything and used a few tie wraps to secure the inlet to my bracket. The entire intake is pretty sturdy and nothing is rubbing, so I'll check on it after a week or two and make sure that doesn't change.

Sound wise it's definitely louder than just the Camry intake. Over 5k at wot was great...not quite GS350 intake great :) , but really good for a grocery getter!! I'm still using the garbage filter that came with the Camry intake, so once I put a K&N on there it should be good to go. I don't expect to feel any power gains (although on my test drive with the cool air tonight it felt great from a roll!) as the setup doesn't seem optimal for hp, but it's better than stock and should keep the iat lower than the Camry intake.

If I were to do it again: I'd purchase matching finishes & materials of the intakes, create a good inlet support bracket, and fabricate a shield that blocks off the engine bay from the filter - keeping the filter more isolated to using air in the fender/bumper area.
Parts summary:
07-11 Camry V6 Intake ($40-50)
98 Accord 2.3L Intake ($40-50)
3" Silicone coupler and clamps ($10)
Quality air filter/optional ($30-50)
Awesome! I'm impressed at how well that Honda intake works with all the necessary needed bends for the Rav4. Nice job and great ingenuity!!

441 - 455 of 455 Posts