Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

21 - 40 of 2664 Posts

·
Registered
681 Posts
Love everything about my first Hybrid, but I keep wishing I had more range on the EV mode. If price are good and there are no major defect, I will trade-in my Civic for one of these for sure! I'll wait at least a year though, tired of being a test subject. Here in Canada Qc, we get a really nice govnt incentive for electric or PHEV car... It will all depend of the price for me.

·
Super Moderator
11,016 Posts
Folks educate me please..........

Why would a plug in hybrid be preferred over the "regular" hybrid that already gets exceptional mileage? I don't understand the advantages or even if there actually are any.

·
Registered
356 Posts
Folks educate me please..........

Why would a plug in hybrid be preferred over the "regular" hybrid that already gets exceptional mileage? I don't understand the advantages or even if there actually are any.
See posts #11 and #12. I have a 24 miles round trip daily commute. That would be golden.

·
Super Moderator
11,016 Posts
See posts #11 and #12. I have a 24 miles round trip daily commute. That would be golden.
I read every post. This is what doesn't make sense to me........one pays a premium for the plug in hybrid so they can drive 30 or so miles using no gasoline. When they get home they pay for extra electricity to do the same the next day. This is supposed to be advantageous over the standard hybrid? I just don't see it. I realize prices have not been announced but you know there will be a substantial upcharge.

Now the standard hybrid over the internal combustion only RAV does make sense to me. The upcharge for the hybrid is reasonable and could easily pay for itself in short order if the car is driven around 20K miles annually as most folks do.

·
Registered
681 Posts
I read every post. This is what doesn't make sense to me........one pays a premium for the plug in hybrid so they can drive 30 or so miles using no gasoline. When they get home they pay for extra electricity to do the same the next day. This is supposed to be advantageous over the standard hybrid? I just don't see it. I realize prices have not been announced but you know there will be a substantial upcharge.

Now the standard hybrid over the internal combustion only RAV does make sense to me. The upcharge for the hybrid is reasonable and could easily pay for itself in short order if the car is driven around 20K miles annually as most folks do.
In my region, electricity is cheap. One would save about 7$ per 100kms when compared to gas.

6L/100kms @ 1,35$/L = 8.10$
Recharging batteries for 100kms is about 1,10$

That's assuming you do a lot of short trip.

Like you said, depends on the premium paid over hybrid. I personally do a lot of under 40kms round trips and i'll be honest, money wise, the hybrid is still a better option, but for me it's more about the smoothness of 100% EV but, like I said, it depends on how much more they want for it. As long as it's under 3000$ i'd take it.

·
Registered
356 Posts

It will not work for everyone. Just like they hybrid, everyone has to do the math for their situation. The key will be the premium to be paid. Some people have the extra money and don’t care about the extra premium either. We will see once the official numbers are out.

·
Registered
332 Posts
In my region, electricity is cheap. One would save about 7$ per 100kms when compared to gas.

Like you said, depends on the premium paid over hybrid. I personally do a lot of under 40kms round trips and i'll be honest, money wise, the hybrid is still a better option, but for me it's more about the smoothness of 100% EV but, like I said, it depends on how much more they want for it. As long as it's under 3000$ i'd take it.
Based on other cars (exclude the prius prime because its really a different car), the difference between a phev and a hybrid is going to be 10-12k. Based on government incentives in canada, that could range from 5 to 10k in difference.

·
Registered
17 Posts
More on the environmentalist side, your everyday commute would use no gasoline. Over the long run paying a dollar for ~30 miles of range is much cheaper than $4 a gallon of gas here in California. There are also government rebates involved and over the long run if your commute is consistent the car should be able to pay for itself. Also Plug-in still qualify for HOV carpool stickers while hybrids no longer do. There is quite a lot of benefit for the folks out here especially if it can cut a commute time 20-30 minutes.

·
Registered
747 Posts
Discussion Starter #32

I wonder if Toyota will strategically price the PHEV version to be under the $45,000 maximum to qualify for the federal rebate (assuming the rebate and the Liberal government is still around next year)...

·
Registered
332 Posts
I wonder if Toyota will strategically price the PHEV version to be under the $45,000 maximum to qualify for the federal rebate (assuming the rebate and the Liberal government is still around next year)...
I could see that. That would put it just above the Outlander PHEV. That would of course be for a base PHEV. I would expect another 5-10 on top for a limited.

·
Registered
747 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
I could see that. That would put it just above the Outlander PHEV. That would of course be for a base PHEV. I would expect another 5-10 on top for a limited.
Yes, similar to how the Prius Prime is priced, a base PHEV RAV4 for under $45,000, and a PHEV RAV4 Upgrade with upgraded features for a few thousands more.

·
Registered
844 Posts
Based on other cars (exclude the prius prime because its really a different car), the difference between a phev and a hybrid is going to be 10-12k. Based on government incentives in canada, that could range from 5 to 10k in difference.
Wow, I didn't know the spread was that much. I was willing to pay $15-20k CAD for a BEV but no way am I paying $10-12k to upgrade from a hybrid to PHEV. There will be no break-even point for most people and for those who drive within the EV range, it may take a decade to recoup the difference.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Do any of you remember the 2010 - 2011 Rav4 EV? That was a little joint venture Toyota outside/ interior with Tesla’s drivetrain/ electronics/ battery. Those came fully loaded $45k. I will see one once in awhile driving around Los Angeles. Cal Trans has a small fleet of them parked near my work.

·
Registered
597 Posts
Why would a 15 amp GFCI outlet be a problem? I've installed several, there's no difference than a standard outlet install.
Some people plug in to charge and the breaker or GFI outlet trips. I am testing mine right now using my Chevy Bolt OEM EVSE, so far about an hour and so far so good.

·
Registered
597 Posts
Here, gasoline is about $3.25... in my 2017 RAV4 Hybrid, it's about 8 cents a mile plus wear and tear on engine.
Off peak power is 6 cents summer (after 7pm) and 5 cents rest of the year. EV charging is 1 cent cheaper and is from 10pm to 8am. With PHEV, you get about 3 miles per KWh, so about 1-2 cents a mile.

Plus, extended stealth mode for the PHEV!

·
Registered
392 Posts
The big question though is can you fill up the gas tank in the PHEV on the 1st click? Something that a few (most?) current RAV4 hybrids struggle with :)

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
Wow, I didn't know the spread was that much. I was willing to pay $15-20k CAD for a BEV but no way am I paying $10-12k to upgrade from a hybrid to PHEV. There will be no break-even point for most people and for those who drive within the EV range, it may take a decade to recoup the difference.
It's all smoke that plugins are saving you money when you already overpaid for them to begin with. I love electrics and actually leased Leaf and Volt before just to try it out but since 2014 taking a break until technology improves and will be more feasable to own. Rav4 plugin brings the electric fun but I won't be buying one thinking it will save me money.

21 - 40 of 2664 Posts