Toyota RAV4 Forums banner
261 - 280 of 301 Posts

·
Registered
2020 RAV4 XLE Hybrid AWD
105 Posts
@NoelinColorado FYI: the ICE also makes noise…
Also, the annoying error message for when the speaker is disconnected might not go away just by flipping the switch and reconnecting it (it might need a reboot to register that the problem has been fixed).
You could always have the switch just change from the AVAS speaker to a resistor so the message doesn't pop up.

·
Premium Member
2020 RAV4 Hybrid XSE, Weather, JBL, Tech Package
259 Posts
You could always have the switch just change from the AVAS speaker to a resistor so the message doesn't pop up.
I believe they said the error message was actually desired as a reminder to turn the speaker back on.

·
Registered
752 Posts
This may, or may not be mine

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
That might heat up and blow the resistor.

But it is a cheaper way than my $35 solution. I bought $10 worth of resistors, $13 with of connectors and $11 worth of terminal repair cables. To help a friend

Ended up with this.

·
Registered
2021 RAV4 LE Hybrid
114 Posts
That might heat up and blow the resistor.

But it is a cheaper way than my $35 solution. I bought $10 worth of resistors, $13 with of connectors and $11 worth of terminal repair cables. To help a friend

Ended up with this.

View attachment 170063
Agree, but watching closely. I’m running a 4.7 Ohm 1w resistor at the moment. I tested in reverse for about 5 minutes and it barely got warm. Definitely going to check periodically.

·
Registered
752 Posts
Agree, but watching closely. I’m running a 4.7 Ohm 1w resistor at the moment. I tested in reverse for about 5 minutes and it barely got warm. Definitely going to check periodically.

Cool! I wish you did it earlier. So I could have saved $35 haha

·
Registered
1 Posts
EDIT: You cannot unplug the sound device without it kicking an error in the MIDI as @bertschb indicates. I ended up just doing a massive tape job on the device to silence it shown in post 22

View attachment 144888

I have had it with the choir. I assassinated them.....

You need a 10mm, a 12mm and the ability to remove 5 friction snaps (reuse).

Remove the five snaps and two 10mm bolts holding the radiator trim cover. You will need to do some wiggling to get it past the hood release handle. Then you will see the culprit.

Simple connector (I taped up and zip tied it to the horn harness). A single 12mm bolt holds it in place.

Put it back together. Enjoy sanity!!!

View attachment 144878
Anyone in Massachsuetts or Rhode Island that is willing to help me out?
Will pay for your time and the parts of course.

·
Registered
520 Posts
I turn the speaker back on before I take it in for service just in case. The weatherproof box with switch is really cool and allows me to just switch on the demonic angel choir whenever I take it into the dealership. Not sure if the sound will be required to pass a state safety inspection in Texas when it’s due next year.
I've had mine in for service and recalls several times over the past 2 years. Never once has the dealership questioned the silence of the car, or attempted to reverse my 'fix.'
In fact, I'm tempted to do the 'fix' on my Tesla Model Y . . . with the Tesla - you can just unplug the speaker, and it won't throw any errors at all.

·
Registered
752 Posts
I've had mine in for service and recalls several times over the past 2 years. Never once has the dealership questioned the silence of the car, or attempted to reverse my 'fix.'
In fact, I'm tempted to do the 'fix' on my Tesla Model Y . . . with the Tesla - you can just unplug the speaker, and it won't throw any errors at all.
Just load a silent file for the exterior speaker on the Y

·
Registered
520 Posts
It doesn’t work that way. If you load a silent file it plays on top of the noise that’s emitted from the speaker. So in other words the back up sound it sounds like a flying saucer is still played even though you have a silent file. And the Forward sound which is a grinding sound still is heard even over your silent file.

·
Registered
520 Posts
The only drawback with disconnecting the speaker on the model why is that you would lose what they call the boom box. That’s the speaker that plays music or whatever you want out the side of the car.

·
Registered
752 Posts
The only drawback with disconnecting the speaker on the model why is that you would lose what they call the boom box. That’s the speaker that plays music or whatever you want out the side of the car.
Ya. I thought the boom box was using the noise maker speaker, so loading a silent file would serve as the boom box and you would hear nothing out of the noise maker speaker vs the Star Wars imperial March. Haha

·
Registered
520 Posts
Ya. I thought the boom box was using the noise maker speaker, so loading a silent file would serve as the boom box and you would hear nothing out of the noise maker speaker vs the Star Wars imperial March. Haha
The noisemaker speaker and boom box are one in the same. I did try to silent file method and there was just no joy there.

·
Registered
752 Posts
The noisemaker speaker and boom box are one in the same. I did try to silent file method and there was just no joy there.
Ah. That sucks. So the pedestrian noise is played no matter what. You can load another mp3 file but that plays on top of the pedestrian noise. Doesn’t replace.

·
Registered
520 Posts
Ah. That sucks. So the pedestrian noise is played no matter what. You can load another mp3 file but that plays on top of the pedestrian noise. Doesn’t replace.
Correct! You can increase the volume of the MP3 file is played outside so that was a pedestrian noise isn’t quite as noticeable. But then you got the obnoxious noise outside of something else. Sort of defeats the purpose.

·
Registered
232 Posts
I was looking something else up and came across this little tidbit.
"NHTSA requires electric vehicle warning sounds to alert pedestrians in electric and hybrid vehicles manufactured after 2018, for both forward and reverse travel at low speeds."
If you silence the sound then you can be held libel for all damages and a lawsuit. You insurance can also tell you that you are not covered by them since you violated the federal NHTSA regulations. Ask yourself are you willing to get a major lawsuit judgement against you because of a little irritating intermittent sound? Also some states may not let the vehicle pass state inspection without the sound especially in reverse. Just saying is it worth it.

261 - 280 of 301 Posts