Toyota RAV4 Forums banner
281 - 300 of 301 Posts

·
Registered
297 Posts
I was looking something else up and came across this little tidbit.
"NHTSA requires electric vehicle warning sounds to alert pedestrians in electric and hybrid vehicles manufactured after 2018, for both forward and reverse travel at low speeds."
If you silence the sound then you can be held libel for all damages and a lawsuit. You insurance can also tell you that you are not covered by them since you violated the federal NHTSA regulations. Ask yourself are you willing to get a major lawsuit judgement against you because of a little irritating intermittent sound? Also some states may not let the vehicle pass state inspection without the sound especially in reverse. Just saying is it worth it.
This has been deeply discussed already FWIW. I only need the AVAS to be silenced when we back out of our condo garage because our garage door is only 30 feet or so directly opposed from the next quadplex'es garage doors and will likely be very loud and somewhat trapped and amplified between these 2 story edifaces. I don't want to disable mine because of the legal issues so what I hope to do (car is still a few weeks out from delivery) is turn on the defroster before putting the car in reverse as I understand this causes the ICE to start, though no one has corrobrated this is the case when the traction battery if charged to capacity.

·
Registered
2021 Limited Hybrid
28 Posts
I was looking something else up and came across this little tidbit.
"NHTSA requires electric vehicle warning sounds to alert pedestrians in electric and hybrid vehicles manufactured after 2018, for both forward and reverse travel at low speeds."
If you silence the sound then you can be held libel [sic] for all damages and a lawsuit. You insurance can also tell you that you are not covered by them since you violated the federal NHTSA regulations. Ask yourself are you willing to get a major lawsuit judgement against you because of a little irritating intermittent sound? Also some states may not let the vehicle pass state inspection without the sound especially in reverse. Just saying is it worth it.
Yes. There's a reason this topic keeps coming up again and again.

But at least with the noisemaker you won’t be held responsible.
You would not have been held responsible for someone else's irresponsibility prior to the government's 2018 requirement of a noise-maker.
You are still responsible for your actions as a vehicle operator. If you drive carefully, there's good likelihood that you will never have to find out...

·
Registered
297 Posts
But at least with the noisemaker you won’t be held responsible.
You will always be held responsible if you're operating the vehicle, with or without the noisemaker. But it does give ammunition to the plaintiff for sure. The reality is we have enough tools at our disposal (mirrors, backup cameras, eyes, a very light foot on the accelerator, rear-traffic alert, etc) such that 100% of the time you should not be backing up over a pedestrian or cyclist. And then there are plenty of people who are very hard of hearing outright deaf so that an AVAS won't play any role in preventing a collision.

·
Registered
2021 RAV4 Prime XSE in Magnetic Gray
176 Posts
At some point in this thread others wondered if you could replace the noise with another sound. Now that I finally have my R4P, I noticed that the sound pitch changes with the vehicle speed.

Find yourself an empty parking lot, put the car in reverse, and give it a little speed. Listen to the sound change. That's not something you can just swap in for another sound file, even if you could figure out the complicated relationship between the speaker and the various control units.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I’m ready to kill this alien that’s living under my hood.

Got all the parts today for a clean install. This will be a easy plug and unplug of the speaker.

Qty:1 Housing Connector M: Part number: 90980-11168

Qty:2 Terminal Repair W W: Part Number: 82998-12450

Qty:1 10W 8ohm resistor

View attachment 168242 View attachment 168243
Thank you for the part numbers! Just ordered mine.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Wonder if you can put a coil between the speaker leads, like a first order low pass filter to lower the sound? Just got my xse last week. If not I'm thinking of 3d printing a cover

·
Registered
2021 Hybrid LE
99 Posts
Wonder if you can put a coil between the speaker leads, like a first order low pass filter to lower the sound?
As far as I know, an inductor would need to be in series with the speaker to act as low pass filter. And I'm not sure there would be much left by the time you cut out all the offending frequencies.

Also, I heard a Mustang Mach-E backing up the other morning. I'm jealous. They have a much more reasonable and recognizable "beep beep beep" sound.

·
Registered
2021 BlizPurl Rav4 Hybrid XLE Premium wJBL
64 Posts
There is very little (if any) in the way of low frequency info coming from that mid range tweeter. Most of what you hear is 4k and above. For extra credit ..... low frequency wavelengths are pretty directional .... the mid and upper frqs are omnidirectional which is why that spaceship sound can seem like it's radiating from the rear of a vehicle.

Bumper sticker version...... a low pass won't help and a high pass is eggsackly what you don't want

·
Registered
2021 RAV4 Prime XSE
53 Posts
Wonder if you can put a coil between the speaker leads, like a first order low pass filter to lower the sound? Just got my xse last week. If not I'm thinking of 3d printing a cover
I've seen someone mention that you can just replace the speaker with a resistor of an equivalent Ohm rating, which makes the car think the speaker is still there. Obviously that eliminates the sound entirely instead of filtering it or making it quieter. Perhaps you could 3D print a housing for a much smaller speaker and replace it with that, so it'd still make the noise but with less amplitude?

·
Registered
1 Posts
“So Mr. RAV4h XSE, isn’t it true that you willfully and deliberately disabled a critical safety device that could have prevented these tragic injuries to my poor client, who is now unable to provide for his family and needs constant assistance with simple daily tasks?”

I’ll be leaving mine connected, annoying as it is. ;)
You're probably going to get sued if you run over a pedestrian regardless of the safety system making noise though.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I have found that a 100 ohm 1/4 watt (small) resistor works fine when "plugged" directly into the socket and does not even get warm with backup engaged for a prolonged period time. The speaker connection is most likely monitored for "open circuit", not for a specific load on the circuit as has been previously suggested, 8 ohm 10 watt or whatever. In general, high frequency speakers take very little power to operate, much less than a watt to create a very high volume of sound.

·
Registered
2021 R4P SE (Placed deposit, fingers crossed for delivery)
29 Posts
All of the parts for the switch are here, except for one side of harness connector. I’m guessing it’s on backorder as I ordered those parts on the 29th and it still shows a status of on order with no ETA. Hopefully soon.

For now we’ve started just pressing the accelerator before putting it in reverse as to start the ICE.
I've only gone through 174 of the postings to this thread, but this one is the only posting so far that has gotten close to my question. I don't care so much about the sound generator most of the time, but backing out of the driveway early in the morning I'd be thinking about whether I was disturbing any of my neighbors. If I put it into HV mode and then start backing up, does it make angel sounds? (I would test it on my own, but I'm still waiting on delivery of my R4P).

·
Registered
14 Posts
My understanding is that if the ICE is running, no sound is produced. But, since I disabled (disconnected) my speaker as soon as I got the car I did not personally experiment.

To start the ICE: Start car, put in HV mode, step on the gas and the ICE should start and idle, release gas and put car in reverse and back out ... the ICE should stay running for a period of time (few seconds) and I believe as long as that is true you will not have any sound from the speaker. Now normally, the ICE is NOT used in reverse. Only EV in reverse, but the ICE may keep running for a bit before it shuts off. Additionally, if the battery is not fully charged (SOC less than 80%), you can put the car in HV and then press (and hold) HV to start CHARGING which will start the ICE and keep it going even in reverse. Again, I am not able to confirm this myself because I disconnected the darn thing ASAP upon arrival.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Thanks, if no one else tests it before I get mine, I'll let everyone know what happens.

If the HV mode works like my standard Prius, when I turn the system on, there is a delay while the stored coolant in the thermos bottle is pumped into the ICE in the area of the head. A few moments later the ICE starts up and runs for a few minutes while it warms up the catalytic converter. Plenty of time to back out of the driveway and drive off. Might not be a bad idea anyway to run the ICE once in a while if I'm doing mostly short EV drives.

·
Registered
2021 XLE Premium Hybrid + JBL
153 Posts
Thanks, if no one else tests it before I get mine, I'll let everyone know what happens.

If the HV mode works like my standard Prius, when I turn the system on, there is a delay while the stored coolant in the thermos bottle is pumped into the ICE in the area of the head. A few moments later the ICE starts up and runs for a few minutes while it warms up the catalytic converter. Plenty of time to back out of the driveway and drive off. Might not be a bad idea anyway to run the ICE once in a while if I'm doing mostly short EV drives.
My R4H usually does not start the ICE until after backing out of the garage, and driving forward out of the driveway, unlike my 2012 Prius which would always start within 5-10s.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Good to know. I guess the R4H (and probably the R4P) don't have the coolant storage system. My understanding is that it wasn't for efficiency so much as emission reduction.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I would like to thank this thread. From this thread I purchased the following:

1 Each: Housing Connector M: Part number: 90980-11168
2 Each (Note! Sold Individually): Terminal Repair W W: Part Number: 82998-12450
1 Each uxcell 25W 8 Ohm Resistor. uxcell 25W 8 Ohm 5% Aluminum Housing Resistor Screw Tap Chassis Mounted Aluminum Case Wirewound Resistor Load Resistors Gold Tone 2 pcs: Amazon.com: Industrial & Scientific

Assembly is straight forward. Solder and heat shrink wrap the terminals on the resistor to the terminal wires. The terminal wires then plug into the housing connector. Next pull out the connector from the speaker and plug it into the resistor assembly. No more angelic singing and the Prime doesn't display an error message.

Hair Musical instrument Dress Wood Textile

I wrapped the green wires with electrical tape to make it less noticeable and tucked it under the bracket that is to the left (looks exactly like the one in the photo, right side.)

Motor vehicle Automotive tire Automotive exterior Bumper Automotive wheel system

281 - 300 of 301 Posts