Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

161 - 180 of 199 Posts

·
Registered
2020 RAV4 Hybrid XSE, Weather, JBL, Tech Package
90 Posts
Has anyone tried leaving the speaker connected but splicing in a resistor to reduce the volume? I saw it mentioned a couple places but maybe I overlooked the results?

·
Registered
542 Posts
^^^ No, but I tried the equivalent of that, where I surrounded the speaker with foam. It cut the volume about in half, but I could still hear it, so that is when I decided to replace the speaker altogether with a 4ohm 50W resistor. Once you go silent, you will not go back!

·
Registered
2020 RAV4 Hybrid XSE, Weather, JBL, Tech Package
90 Posts
Well, I tried it. I spliced in a 5 ohm resistor in series with the speaker. Surprisingly, it didn’t change the volume at all - 59 dB, 6 ft. in front of the car before and after the mod. Pretty disappointing. So I spliced the wire back together and just went with the duct tape method. About 3 layers of tape dropped the volume to 53 dB. It’s definitely a bit less jarring in my parking garage, but I still wish it was a little quieter.
IIRC, the law that went into effect back in September requires manufacturers to put a 56+ dB noise maker on hybrids, as measured from 2 m. Everywhere I read about it, they mentioned the requirement placed on manufacturers; I couldn’t find anything regarding drivers modifying/silencing them. Does anyone know if you can get ticketed for this?

·
Registered
110 Posts
If you have regular inspections it could be an issue in your state.

A cop can always ticket someone for unapproved vehicle mods. They usually target the boy racer type who turbo their Honda and ignore everyone else (including pickup trucks with a 2 ft lift and giant mud tires way past the fenders flinging rocks at everyone and practically tipping over on every sharp turn. So a police ticket is unlikely except in an accident.

That said, if there were an accident the other party and/or their insurance company could blame the accident on the lack of or reduced audio warning device. Your own insurance company could also deny your coverage —- not sure about your jurisdiction but in mine, a standard question is always whether or not your vehicle has been “modified”. This is a broad term—I’ve put a trailer hitch on mine so technically it is modified, but no one could make a case that it could increase the severity of or likelihood of an accident as long as I don’t exceed the towing rating. This is more likely to be an issue with the audio warning device in case of a pedestrian or bicycle collision. In grey areas lawyers and courts always go back to what a “reasonable person” would do, if someone is run over by a “silent” vehicle the driver might be considered negligent in disabling or reducing the audio device.

TLDR - I’m not a lawyer, so if you have concerns consult one.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Well, I tried it. I spliced in a 5 ohm resistor in series with the speaker. Surprisingly, it didn’t change the volume at all - 59 dB, 6 ft. in front of the car before and after the mod. Pretty disappointing. So I spliced the wire back together and just went with the duct tape method. About 3 layers of tape dropped the volume to 53 dB. It’s definitely a bit less jarring in my parking garage, but I still wish it was a little quieter.
IIRC, the law that went into effect back in September requires manufacturers to put a 56+ dB noise maker on hybrids, as measured from 2 m. Everywhere I read about it, they mentioned the requirement placed on manufacturers; I couldn’t find anything regarding drivers modifying/silencing them. Does anyone know if you can get ticketed for this?
Like you, I covered my speaker to attenuate the noise. Not as offensive, but still very noticeable....

·
Registered
2020 RAV4 Hybrid Limited AWD
50 Posts
If you have regular inspections it could be an issue in your state.

A cop can always ticket someone for unapproved vehicle mods. They usually target the boy racer type who turbo their Honda and ignore everyone else (including pickup trucks with a 2 ft lift and giant mud tires way past the fenders flinging rocks at everyone and practically tipping over on every sharp turn. So a police ticket is unlikely except in an accident.

That said, if there were an accident the other party and/or their insurance company could blame the accident on the lack of or reduced audio warning device. Your own insurance company could also deny your coverage —- not sure about your jurisdiction but in mine, a standard question is always whether or not your vehicle has been “modified”. This is a broad term—I’ve put a trailer hitch on mine so technically it is modified, but no one could make a case that it could increase the severity of or likelihood of an accident as long as I don’t exceed the towing rating. This is more likely to be an issue with the audio warning device in case of a pedestrian or bicycle collision. In grey areas lawyers and courts always go back to what a “reasonable person” would do, if someone is run over by a “silent” vehicle the driver might be considered negligent in disabling or reducing the audio device.

TLDR - I’m not a lawyer, so if you have concerns consult one.
Legislation is not in effect (as of yet) requiring vehicle proximity notification devices on all hybrids in Canada. Some individual provinces have specific requirements, though. I’ve disabled mine and my insurance company has confirmed that it would not result in a denial of claim. Any vehicle produced prior to the law coming into force would not be subject to the new requirements - even if it has the tech installed.

·
Registered
2019 Hybrid Limited
125 Posts
Legislation is not in effect (as of yet) requiring vehicle proximity notification devices on all hybrids in Canada. Some individual provinces have specific requirements, though. I’ve disabled mine and my insurance company has confirmed that it would not result in a denial of claim. Any vehicle produced prior to the law coming into force would not be subject to the new requirements - even if it has the tech installed.
Good to know. I'm liking the quietness :D

·
Registered
146 Posts
I like the idea of building a switch to turn it off! This way if I have to take it to the dealership I can just disconnect the switch and reconnect the factory connectors and they won't know the difference.

We weren't told about this before we bought it and didn't have to back it up during our test drive, so this was a surprise to us. Had I known about this I would have gone with the gas model instead. :(. I mentioned it to my sales guy today and he said he would ask the service tech how to lower the volume. Yeah right....

·
Registered
752 Posts
It should be possible to make some sort of circuit (more complicated than just a resistor, sorry) that puts a cap on the volume. So the volume in drive is relatively unaffected, but the volume in reverse is cut in half or something.

·
Registered
146 Posts
As an alternative, is it possible to build a volume control for this pedestrian warning speaker? Maybe turn it down instead of silence it?

·
Registered
146 Posts
All of the parts for the switch are here, except for one side of harness connector. I’m guessing it’s on backorder as I ordered those parts on the 29th and it still shows a status of on order with no ETA. Hopefully soon.

For now we’ve started just pressing the accelerator before putting it in reverse as to start the ICE.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Honestly what buggs me most is stupid thongs like when I have 2 screens why does my TPMS still only have an idiot light!?!?!

I bought another TPMS for about $75 off Amazon that solar charges, has REPLACABLE tire sensor batteries, AND has audio with visual alarms with a digital temp and pressure readout of all tires!

Temp is handy as higher than norm tire temp can indicate alignment issues before you see the wear on the tires.

Only things Im a bit behind on is a good front/rear dash cam with parking monitor mode and get the cat clamp installed.

2019 HV I think only has the one cat converter.
Whats a cat clamp? :/

·
Registered
146 Posts
Does anyone happen to know the polarity of both the car side connector and the speaker connector? I’m in the process of building a switch like zeniq did and I just want to make sure I don’t get the pins wired wrong.

·
Registered
2021 RAV4 Prime SE
191 Posts
Does anyone happen to know the polarity of both the car side connector and the speaker connector? I’m in the process of building a switch like zeniq did and I just want to make sure I don’t get the pins wired wrong.
I wouldn’t think it should matter. Really tempted to try the same but honestly I’d probably never turn it back on. 😋

·
Registered
146 Posts
Got it installed. Liking the silence already and I like that I can turn the speaker back on when I take it to service or if we know we are going to a busy place.

Thank you zeniq for writing those instructions!

161 - 180 of 199 Posts