Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

241 - 260 of 268 Posts

·
Registered
335 Posts
Yes, I forgot that. Just finished all 4 doors and tested. Really feel much better. Have some material left and wonder if I need to add this layer to the rear hatch door or not.

I have one layer of something like NOICO 80Mil previously installed but with the 2nd skin layer, it makes difference.

Can’t do much better than that. Have fun fishing the cables through 😉

·
Registered
233 Posts
Yes, I forgot that. Just finished all 4 doors and tested. Really feel much better. Have some material left and wonder if I need to add this layer to the rear hatch door or not.

I have one layer of something like NOICO 80Mil previously installed but with the 2nd skin layer, it makes difference.
I’d definitely do the rear hatch door if you have enough leftover, and if all you’ve currently got is a layer of 80 mil Noico applied back there. If you don’t have enough Second Skin, I’m very happy with the frostking R6.7 denim insulation in my rear hatch door (didn’t have deep enough pockets for your superior install).

·
Registered
2020 XSE Silver/Black Hybrid
203 Posts
does anyone have a spare 8" x 20" piece of noico material they can sell to me?

·
Registered
58 Posts
Thanks again for all the tips. I decided to not dynamat the plastic access cover or the plastic in the 2nd row (On the one door.) I did the soft insulation on all areas I could. Definitely makes the doors sound better when closing and cuts down on noise quite a bit. Now if they only put thicker glass in it. Bit if I wanted that I should have bought a lexus.

4D5DAC20-2C60-4BB4-A741-07F3C26EA0E3.jpeg AAFF9006-8AD0-4424-B71F-7B8717CF3EA0.jpeg C3C8735A-2EC9-4808-B0C2-F7182E3989DA.jpeg 811783D3-B1A6-4984-B0C6-017C355C19BE.jpeg

·
Registered
41 Posts
Interesting, I'd try it out, but front tint is illegal in my area. The authorities go crazy for those.
You can always go for the 3M crystalline 90%; it’s practically invisible and has superb heat rejection. I just put 70% on my windshield. As for noise insulation properties, I strongly doubt it. Film is super thin. Wouldn’t do much if anything to block sound waves. I’m laying Noico on my cargo area. Maybe even under the front seats if there’s enough left over.

·
Registered
115 Posts
You can always go for the 3M crystalline 90%; it’s practically invisible and has superb heat rejection. I just put 70% on my windshield. As for noise insulation properties, I strongly doubt it. Film is super thin. Wouldn’t do much if anything to block sound waves. I’m laying Noico on my cargo area. Maybe even under the front seats if there’s enough left over.
A film wouldn't block sound waves. It will help reduce sound from glass vibration. It does what the Noico material does. It helps stop the metal from vibrating the sound. To block or absorb sound the denim insulation works really well with the Noico. But the denim wouldn't work well on the windows thou. :D

·
Registered
115 Posts
Has anyone considered adding sound deadening under the front seat carpet near the firewall? I added sound deadening + denim to all four doors, hatch, and spare tire area.

I've noticed most of the remaining road noise is coming from the front wheels. Just curious if it's even possible.

View attachment 151711

Since adding Noico and denim in all the doors and the back cargo area, I've also noticed that the remaining noise now seems to come from the front wheel area.

I looked under the front carpet but it doesn't look like I could add any Noico there. I was wondering if adding an under body coating to the outside wheel wells might help? When I have time I'm going to look into it.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Has anyone pulled the seats out and deadened the floor yet? (Not cargo area)
In the back seats I pulled the floor carpet back and looked underneath the front seats as far as I could. The floor is covered in Toyota's hard sound deadening material and the backside of the carpet has felt. IMO there isn't a lot of improvement that you could do there.

·
Registered
41 Posts
A film wouldn't block sound waves. It will help reduce sound from glass vibration. It does what the Noico material does. It helps stop the metal from vibrating the sound. To block or absorb sound the denim insulation works really well with the Noico. But the denim wouldn't work well on the windows thou. :D
Resonance reduction requires altering the wavelength of the sound as it travels through material. I guess the multiple nano layers on the 3M Crystalline May have some minor effect but not a noticeable one. Also the product is breathable so it has microscopic punctures in between layers to allow for moisture to escape. There’s a reason why the Noico material comes in different weights and is a closed cell material. The only real solution to outside noise would be a custom windshield or if Toyota decides to revise the OEM one when the refresh cycle comes about and we want to spend silly money upgrading the windshield then.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I was wondering if adding an under body coating to the outside wheel wells might help?
might be worth the effort as the only option is to remove the dash and Noico the firewall.

any 2020 Rav4 owners who can share observations on their vehicle’s noise insulation? I Rented a 2020 XLE and it was noticeably quieter. But the wheel/tire combo was different from the horrid Toyo A39s on my Adventure.

·
Registered
233 Posts
In the back seats I pulled the floor carpet back and looked underneath the front seats as far as I could. The floor is covered in Toyota's hard sound deadening material and the backside of the carpet has felt. IMO there isn't a lot of improvement that you could do there.
wholeheartedly agreed with that observation. I took a peek and thoughT, nope! Not worth the effort.

might be worth the effort as the only option is to remove the dash and Noico the firewall.

any 2020 Rav4 owners who can share observations on their vehicle’s noise insulation? I Rented a 2020 XLE and it was noticeably quieter. But the wheel/tire combo was different from the horrid Toyo A39s on my Adventure.
I bet it is the wheel/tire combo possibly coupled with the hood liner. I’m not adding anything to the hood of my ‘19 but I’m sure it makes a noticeable difference. My tire experience comes from my CX5. The stock Yokohama’s on my ‘13 blew chunks. I had no idea how much quieter a different tire could be until replacing them with Goodyear Assurance ComforTred tires.

·
Registered
41 Posts
wholeheartedly agreed with that observation. I took a peek and thoughT, nope! Not worth the effort.

I bet it is the wheel/tire combo possibly coupled with the hood liner. I’m not adding anything to the hood of my ‘19 but I’m sure it makes a noticeable difference. My tire experience comes from my CX5. The stock Yokohama’s on my ‘13 blew chunks. I had no idea how much quieter a different tire could be until replacing them with Goodyear Assurance ComforTred tires.
I bought the OEM hood liner a month ago. It’s made of acoustic foam. Does dampen the noise noticeably but the 2020 XLE was leaps and bounds quieter. Wish I had inspected the vehicle’s engine bay and wheel wells before returning it.

·
Registered
'19 XLE
11 Posts
Update: I used the Noico material (Amazon.com: Noico Black 80 mil 18 sqft Car Sound Deadening Mat, Butyl Automotive Sound Deadener, Audio Noise Insulation and Dampening: Automotive) under the backseat, pillar B, rear cargo area, all 4 doors, hatch, and rear wheel wells. I took a break and closed everything up before I did all 4 doors and noticed a huge difference once I did those later.

Like the OP, I used a free sound app on my iPhone (Decibel X) to take recordings after with my phone steady in my center console:
0 MPH with engine warmed up: 50.6
30 MPH: 64.1
60 MPH: 68.2

I, too, have now noticed the sound primarily coming from the front wheel wells and engine. I'm not sure that I'm ready to shell out the money for the hood insulator (Toyota Insulator 53341-0R060 | BAM Wholesale Parts) just yet but will probably end up doing it. Has anyone tackled the front wheel wells and found it worth it? I'm running a 2.5" Rough Country lift with the stock Bridgestone tires so I'm keeping that in mind as it relates to noise.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I'm not sure that I'm ready to shell out the money for the hood insulator (Toyota Insulator 53341-0R060 | BAM Wholesale Parts) just yet but will probably end up doing it.
Might be worth talking to local dealers that sell parts online about matching the BAM pricing. Shipping is absolutely ridiculous. I ordered mine and picked it up locally.

Has anyone tackled the front wheel wells and found it worth it?
I will be insulating the interior with various noise and heat Insulation products. The wheel wells and fender liners will also receive a couple of coats of 3M rubberized undercoating. I’ve seen some people apply butyl sound deadener material over the metal and inner face of the liners. I won’t go that far unless warranted after the cabin is done.

I will report back with impressions. However, my observations will account for a very robust damping of the inner cabin.

·
Registered
115 Posts
The wheel wells and fender liners will also receive a couple of coats of
I would be very interested in knowing how much that helps. I've pretty much done every thing else with Noico and denim. Which has been a HUGE improvement. The majority of the remaining road noise seem to be coming from the front wheel wells. I would easily go for having the 3M rubberized undercoating sprayed if it helped.

Are you going to do it yourself or have someone else do it?

·
Registered
41 Posts
Are you going to do it yourself or have someone else do it?
I will apply it myself as it comes in a rattle can spray bottle and I only need to mask off the major suspension components to prevent overspray. Two layers on the inside wheel well and the inner and outer faces of the fender liner. That should be enough to measure the noise damping qualities of the 3M product.

241 - 260 of 268 Posts