Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

421 - 440 of 442 Posts

·
Registered
1,455 Posts
The issue is 32 bit vs 64 bit.
The driver for FTDI chip has no problem with 64 bit, but the adapters do. I don't know if there is one that works. A number of people keep telling me it works on 64 bit, but they have not provided info about their system, so I can't believe them. I have mine working on W10 32 bit. It is dead in the water on 64 bit.

Many people have it working on window 10 64bit.

I have it on a netbook and a laptop.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I put a zip package together with the drivers that worked on my Windows 7 64 bit and the "how to". Hopefully helps:
https://www.rav4world.com/threads/2011-rav4-limited-sonic67s-journal.304791/post-2792165
Thank you for your help and taking the time to do this. I truly appreciate it. I have Win 10 Pro 64 bit so from what I have been reading it's a real problem to get it to communicate with this VCI Adapter due to driver issues. I read that version 12 and later of Techstream is compatible with Win 10 but I don't know if that means it's compatible with the adapter cable now without all the driver manual manipulation or simply that it installs on a Win 10 PC without problems. The cheap generic VCI cable everybody is using specifically says it is for Win XP and Win 7 only. I wish somebody could chime in that used this on a Win 10 64 bit PC and got it all to work. All the information about how to install the drivers is on posts about 8 years old so I'm not sure if the driver install method still works now with Win 10 64bit. So far all I can find is bits and pieces and nobody who posted a recent "how to" tutorial. I see you used Win 7 not Win 10 and got it to work. I guess the only thing left to do is buy a cheap cable and try and try the manual driver install following the old instructions. Worst case I am out $18 if it doesn't work.

·
Registered
8 Posts

Is there any way you can put together a brief tutorial on the steps(or links) you followed and information you used to get this to work on your Win 10 64bit PC. Did you simply follow the old instructions and use the older driver files posted here and do the manual driver install and registry edit as per the older instructions or did you use some other instructions. I am pretty computer and tech savvy and good at following directions. I am sure this would be beneficial to a lot of members here as well as myself. Would be great if you could do that.

·
Registered
382 Posts
Have you guys checked this and many other youtube video regarding Win 10 64bits :

I just used an old laptop with win 7 and 32bit, never have problem from v10, v11, v13, v14 to V15.00.028 now. It will be much simpler buying the one with loader.

·
Registered
1,455 Posts
Is there any way you can put together a brief tutorial on the steps(or links) you followed and information you used to get this to work on your Win 10 64bit PC. Did you simply follow the old instructions and use the older driver files posted here and do the manual driver install and registry edit as per the older instructions or did you use some other instructions. I am pretty computer and tech savvy and good at following directions. I am sure this would be beneficial to a lot of members here as well as myself. Would be great if you could do that.

TRY [post 397 OF THIS THREAD. There's 2 Different ways in one post

·
Registered
113 Posts

Can you tell me what version of firmware is on your adapter using the firmware update tool?
I have a MiniVCI and a VCX NANO and neither one will run on 64 bit system.
I have tried ALL versions of Techstream up to 15.00.026 and all versions of firmware and drivers including 2.0.1
Current f/w on mini is 1.4.1 and the VCX just updated to 1.6.6.0 from 1.6.5.0. I haven't tried that yet.
H/W wise my mini PCB looks the same as the one posted.
I can't count the number of times I have tried #397 process on many 64 bit computers. No joy. Something is missing here.

·
Registered
583 Posts
The drivers included in my package above (ftdi) work on 64 bit, regardless of the cable firmware. I am using them with only 1.4.1 adapters (I have three of them), couldn't find a 2.0.1 one. Every time I ordered a "2.0.1" I got a 1.4.1 one, that's why I have 3 now.
BTW the "firmware update tool" is good only to check the firmware on the Chinese clones, but it won't upgrade them.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I have been Googling all over and I think I've found the files and instructions to install Techstream 12 on a Win 10 64 bit PC. YouTube tutorial seems to cover everything about installing the program and installing the drivers easily without being an IT Tech. There is a link to download all the files needed. All the responses said it worked for them so I hope this helps somebody else.

Techstream 12 / MVCI install on Win 10 64 bit system.

·
Registered
3,630 Posts
Have you guys checked this and many other youtube video regarding Win 10 64bits :

I just used an old laptop with win 7 and 32bit, never have problem from v10, v11, v13, v14 to V15.00.028 now. It will be much simpler buying the one with loader.
I believe any 32 bit OS will work. When using a 64 bit OS you need to make some modification to some files.

·
Registered
113 Posts
The drivers included in my package above (ftdi) work on 64 bit, regardless of the cable firmware. I am using them with only 1.4.1 adapters (I have three of them), couldn't find a 2.0.1 one. Every time I ordered a "2.0.1" I got a 1.4.1 one, that's why I have 3 now.
BTW the "firmware update tool" is good only to check the firmware on the Chinese clones, but it won't upgrade them.
I sure can't figure out what is wrong with my W10 x64 systems then. I have the same thing you do. The firmware update tool (FUT) does not work on x64 for me either. It starts with the UAC, but never opens a window. It shows up in Process Explorer with a path indication "access denied". And I have tried 3 laptops and a desktop. Really aggravating. Techstream runs fine with x64. I can open saved files from my x32 system. It sees the Mini and the Nano but won't connect to the car.
The 1.4.1 is the F/W. 2.0.1 is the driver, so I don't think you will find a device with 2.0.1 f/w in it.. I found a 1.4.7 f/w file, and did update it with the FUT, but it bricked the adapter. I was able to reload 1.4.1. I don't think it was the fault of the FUT because I reloaded 1.4.1. So the FUT will update, you just can't find any newer f/w files that are good.
There are 2 h/w versions of the adapter. I believe the newer one supports a few more protocols, just can't remember, and I think I have a newer one. The Nano supports them all and allows other things to be done.

·
Registered
113 Posts
I believe any 32 bit OS will work. When using a 64 bit OS you need to make some modification to some files.
I believe the modifications are only to the registry for x64. But that didn't help me any. Still did not work.
If you see another mod (other than for registration) please let me know. I did exactly the same thing for x64 as I did for x32 plus the registry mod, no joy for x64.

·
Registered
583 Posts
I didn't think the Chinese clones can be updated with the official firmware.

In my Win7 x64 system, the driver for "Vehicle Interface Module" looks like attached snapshot. I think I got it from the attached "pdf" file - just rename it to delete the pdf at the end. You can even extract the drivers from the .msi file with 7zip (it can open the package).

Attachments

·
Registered
113 Posts
SoNic67
thanks.
I replaced my Xhorse folder with yours
I verified the registry entries
The reg entry points to xhorse\mvci... folder for the MVCI32.dll, but I also put it in the root folder.
I ran FUT==it did the same thing. It starts up and sits there using 12% CPU but never opens the window.
I have everything that you have, the WinDriver, the FTDI driver, your xhorse folder, your FUT program........

One of the laptops, I changed to W7 x32, then to W10 x32 and it works fine on both but not W7 x64 or W10 x64.
So it isn't a hw problem and all systems are different.
AND it doesn't work with the Nano, which is totally different than the mini.
How can this not work on 3 laptops and one desktop of mine, but work on your computer???????
What fairy dust do you have????

·
Registered
583 Posts
Did you did the registry hack?
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\PassThruSu pport.04.04]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\PassThruSu pport.04.04\XHorse - MVCI]
"Name"="XHorse - MVCI"
"Vendor"="XHorse ELECTRONICS Co.,Ltd."
"ConfigApplication"="C:\\Program Files (x86)\\XHorse Electronics\\MVCI Driver for TOYOTA TIS\\FirmwareUpdateTool.exe"
"FunctionLibrary"="C:\\Program Files (x86)\\XHorse Electronics\\MVCI Driver for TOYOTA TIS\\MVCI32.dll"
"APIVersion"="04.04"
"ProductVersion"="1.1.0"
"ProtocolsSupported"="J1850VPW:1, J1850PWM:1, CAN:1, ISO9141:1, ISO14230:1, ISO15765:1"
"J1850VPW"=dword:00000001
"J1850PWM"=dword:00000001
"ISO9141"=dword:00000001
"ISO14230"=dword:00000001
"CAN"=dword:00000001
"ISO15765"=dword:00000001
"SCI_A_ENGINE"=dword:00000000
"SCI_A_TRANS"=dword:00000000
"SCI_B_ENGINE"=dword:00000000
"SCI_B_TRANS"=dword:00000000
You can DL from here as .reg import file:

·
Registered
113 Posts
when you look at the drivers installed for the serial converter and the com port in your device manager, what are they?

Mine were FTDI 2.12.28. I finally got them to load the ones in the MVCI folder and they are FTDI 2.6.0.0, but neither work. It is still loading the FUT but never opening a window and running 12% CPU on my desktop and 24% CPU on my laptop.On the x32 system FTDI 2.12.28.0 is running and everything is working.

·
Registered
113 Posts
thanks Are you sure you have a 64 bit system? Everything on mine is the same and FUT won't work. Obviously, TS won't either if FUT can't connect. This is a total mystery. 32 bit == no problem. Except, I need to replace the battery in the 32 bit computer. It is a little harder to use when I must plug it in to run it.

421 - 440 of 442 Posts