Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

101 - 120 of 127 Posts

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter #101
Picked up some 255/40R17 drag radials and some lightweight 17x8 ET50 Kosei K6R wheels. Lighter wheels and smaller tires should allow for quicker acceleration.

"lightly modified" Rav4 2GRFE 4WD

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter #102
Well here it is November and just before I installed the direct port nitrous plate, I was testing a new eBay driveshaft I installed due to my oem needing a new center support bearing. Our oem driveshaft isn't serviceable so a full ebay replacement that allows for serviceable U-Joints was installed.

Didn't even make a week and my Rav4 snapped the front U-Joint during launch. Going back to OEM I guess...

"lightly modified" Rav4 2GRFE 4WD

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter #103 (Edited)
Had some fun figuring out sway bar options. https://www.rav4world.com/threads/3rd-gen-front-rear-stabilizer-sway-bar-options.301315/

Received my rear Cusco in about a week from Japan via RHDJapan.com

Install went fairly well considering how rusty my NYC sourced Rav4 is. Removed both lower control arms and one upper and had just enough wiggle room to pull the oem 22mm oem Sport bar out and wiggled the 25mm Cusco bar in without even scratching it. Attached the rear stabilizer removal manual for others reference.

Handling has been greatly improved, flattened out the backend on corners and lane changes. Can't wait for the front Hotchkis 22429F 32mm bar to compliment the rear bar. Believe it or not, bigger change than even the coilovers...

Attachments

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter #105 (Edited)
Started working on my new subwoofer box. Ever since I installed the nitrous bottle in the rear compartment, I haven't had any good bass. My old dual 10" subwoofer box (still for sale) took up the back area but now I'm starting a custom fiberglass box to utilize the area behind the right rear passenger seat..

·
Registered
28 Posts
Looking good man, love that blue powdercoat! The rest of that undercarriage reminds me of the modern day Titanic wreckage minus the barnicles LOL. I haven't even installed my front lower chassis brace yet and I've had it a few months now. Sub enclosure looks nice! I have the JBL with baby tailgate sub so I'm leaving it as is. I already have subs in my work van. My rav got wrecked by a large deer, slammed into the driver side caving in both driver doors and blowing out the windows along with some other minor damage. Shop just started tear down yesterday afternoon so I'm ready to get it back to install headers and ypipe.
I just happened to see this thread, so I'll be following it. Have fun!

Jeremy

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter #108
Looking good man, love that blue powdercoat! The rest of that undercarriage reminds me of the modern day Titanic wreckage minus the barnicles LOL. I haven't even installed my front lower chassis brace yet and I've had it a few months now. Sub enclosure looks nice! I have the JBL with baby tailgate sub so I'm leaving it as is. I already have subs in my work van. My rav got wrecked by a large deer, slammed into the driver side caving in both driver doors and blowing out the windows along with some other minor damage. Shop just started tear down yesterday afternoon so I'm ready to get it back to install headers and ypipe.

Jeremy
Ya, my NY sourced rav4 is bad underneath but the body appears ok.

Which chassis brace did you go with?

My Sport didn't have the JBL setup so I've slowly been upgrading. Tried to put a sub in the oem spot but it sounded terrible so I decided I'd fab my own custom box.

Sorry to hear about your Rav4...when I drive bk home to KS, I really have to be careful with the deer, they cause so many wrecks in SE Kansas.

You making custom headers??

Thanks for sharing!

- my name is also Jeremy ‐

·
Registered
28 Posts
No I bought the Wilhelm Motorsports Y pipe that's designed to mate up with the Frankenstein Motorworks headers, I went with a 2.5" outlet for the Y because I don't want lots of drone,etc.
It wasn't cheap and not sure it was smart considering how really bad the V6 traction is with a 2wd. The setup is designed for the MR2 2GR swap crowd so I'll have to get the Y pipe altered at an exhaust shop once I get the car back.
If I ever have to replace the Rav, I'm looking for a 4wd model. I just hate underbody rust because I do most of my own auto work and being in the South, most shops won't even touch a vehicle with heavy rust from up north.
I like the rope glassed in your box to give it rigidity, nice job.

And yeah, the JBL with sub seems extremely rare when browsing Autotrader but anything stronger than the stock low excursion 8" would be a waste in that tailgate, too flimsy.

·
Registered
85 Posts

Jeremy
I'm very interested in you header progress.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5 Posts
Man just skimmed through this whole thread, and wow so many awesome things to learn good sh*t. I have been wondering what kind of headlights those are with the dual projector beams, custom retrofit? Keep up the good work. I wish someone did an offroad build thread this comprehensive.

·
Registered
23 Posts
The rest of that undercarriage reminds me of the modern day Titanic wreckage minus the barnicles LOL.
A bit of hyperbole, but I agree with your general point - that's a lot of rust to deal with. Tek must have the patience of Job and some great tools to deal with all of the rusted bolts in there. I ran away from a good deal on a Honda Pilot last week because of a similar condition, but it was a blessing in disguise because that led me to the Rav4 we just bought.

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter #113
Rust hasn't really slowed me down. Bit by bit I'm replacing rusty undercarriage and suspension parts so it's all good.

Bought some hood vents a while back. Got them hydrodipped in Carbon Fiber and installed. Added drip guards with drains to keep rain out of the engine bay. Check out my IG story highlights for some videos if the hydrodip process and more install pictures.

http://instagr.am/p/B_YSJ1jHT2M/

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter #114
Also replaced my rear differential seals...wasn't too bad. The breather wasn't rusty so I'm guessing the seal got damaged during a CV axle installation that caused the one to leak - so I fixed both.

This guide was crucial - thanks to @JerryIrons for his writeup.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Also replaced my rear differential seals...wasn't too bad. The breather wasn't rusty so I'm guessing the seal got damaged during a CV axle installation that caused the one to leak - so I fixed both.

This guide was crucial - thanks to @JerryIrons for his writeup.

That's whats next for me..

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter #116 (Edited)
I can thank @mitechman (Dave) and @biyanpian (Gabe) for their help guiding me of how to shim the accumulators. I did it slightly back last May and I just redid it again more this May.

Dropped the ValveBody in about 30min. Used a clamp and a socket to depress the round cover so I can release the snap ring.

Instead of washers this time I used SS nuts. I shimmed C1 about 10% and C0 and B1 to about 41%.

Also upped my line pressure from my previous setting of 4 to 5. Typically stock is around 3.

Did a quick flush and got all fluid looking pretty good.

Makes a old tired transmission shift quicker, probably make a fresher transmission shift a lot faster/firmer than stock.

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter #117
Had my front crossmember pipe redone since when the dual exhaust was first done, they hacked up my stock crossmember pipe. Local guy, Kevin at Turn5 Fabrication is my new fabrication go to. Fits better than stock...all stainless and TIG welded.

Probably have him help me fix my WeaponR FWD Sienna headers so they fit...once I have them fitted, I'll take more pictures. Front bolts up and fits but rear won't clear rear driveshaft when bolted up.

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter #118
While I was working on things, I painted my exhaust with hot temp flat black paint...kinda neat to see it laid out. Cant wait to redo it all in mandrel bends but that wont be until I'm done with Nitrous and switch to Turbo.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Wow. Nice touch going with SS in the exhaust. That ought to last you a good long time. Very cool of you to post all of this here, it will likely give a lot of us ideas.

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter #120
Been running used AMG C63 440cc Bosch injectors for over a year, felt like I had some that were dripping so I replaced them with new ones.

Also decided for more "insurance" as I do power upgrades and I upgraded the fuel pump to a 255lph Deatschwerks model from URD that should be able to flow enough fuel for 500whp.

Since the oem Fuel pressure regulator was in the fuel tank, I had to install a Aeromotive AFPR with a return line to the tank. Set it to 44psi for now but it has a boost reference port for fun things later on.

Also the stock fuel filter was in the fuel sending unit in the tank...making it unserviceable. I opted for a easily accessible inline fuel filter instead.

101 - 120 of 127 Posts